PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v The Plastics - 25/04/22 - KO:19:30 - Championship

Yes, they did. We were a shambles but take no credit away from them (reluctantly).

They pressed, they played neat one touch football and more importantly they wanted it.

They approached the game like we did against Blackpool but in their case they have more creativity and guile, hence the scoreline.

nah they were ok, deserved to win but it was more down to how shit we were, they were hungry is all, it was their final throw of the dice, you could see that by the amount of cheating they did.

Yes, they did. We were a shambles but take no credit away from them (reluctantly).

They pressed, they played neat one touch football and more importantly they wanted it.

They approached the game like we did against Blackpool but in their case they have more creativity and guile, hence the scoreline.
I agree. The only thing I would say is that their players were so precious throwing themselves down at the slightest look and surrounding the referee like spoilt children at every available opportunity. We didn’t do that so much but then we weren’t even good enough to be arsed to do anything at all.

nah they were ok, deserved to win but it was more down to how shit we were, they were hungry is all, it was their final throw of the dice, you could see that by the amount of cheating they did.
Then we'll have to respectfully disagree there mate.

They ran us ragged all day for me. Every time Rothwell or Travis had it in the middle of the park, they had the freedom of Deepdale and made something happen. Not too dissimilar to Holtby's performance in the lockdown thrashing.

Gallagher and Brereton never stopped moving and pulling our defenders one way to the other. We couldn't handle them, hence why the usually dependable Sepp and Hughes dropped absolute stinkers.

The throwing themselves to the floor does my absolute tits in, I hate it but when you have a referee who gives every single decision your way, why wouldn't you? Same with killing off the game at the end, it's just gamesmanship, everyone does it, us included.

Firstly, did anyone listen Frankie being interviewed on Radio Lancs before the game? No wonder we are crap. There is no way that man would persuade PR/CH to part with money for a player. He couldn’t convince me that he even had desires to live another week.
Ryan Lowe’s biggest challenge is to wrestle some money from the owners to buy young, hungry, talented players. Last night was the perfect example of how far of competing for a to 6 place we are.
Why would anyone pay to watch Greg Cunningham, Josh Earl shit themselves on the left wing? Why would anyone pay to watch Sean Maguire anymore? I don’t feel sorry for any of the players. They are paid professionals and should perform or hang their boots up.
We were totally exposed at how feeble PNE really are and what a thoroughly crap squad we have.
Where are the runs/passes into the channels? Where is the leader in defence? Who actually wanted the ball and was prepared to move 5 extra yards to make a bit of space? Is is because they cannot pass that no one bothers to move?
Last night was the first time I have ever walked out early.
I will buy a season ticket purely because of the offer and hope for the best. It is the best part of a hundred miles round trip for us to come to home games but if this continues I’ll find better things to do.

I agree. The only thing I would say is that their players were so precious throwing themselves down at the slightest look and surrounding the referee like spoilt children at every available opportunity. We didn’t do that so much but then we weren’t even good enough to be arsed to do anything at all.
Referee was weak as piss, they picked up on that very quickly and went with it. We didn't, we just allowed them to buy cheap free kicks, one of which they scored from and never played for the fouls ourselves.

Love what RL says on iPlayer about their holidays he sees exactly what the culture is at this club and I have no doubt it will change next season.
The problem is RL may not get sufficient help to change it, and there lies the problem. We have brought in too many players with the wrong attitude thanks to PR and he is still here.

It’s his first end of season, a lot of those players will either be gone or feature very little. It’s too late for this season but next season is something else. New players new mindset. He will know exactly what’s what next season and hopefully we will see a very different reaction once (or if) we get to 50 points.
Understood Joan, can see the argument. However, he's been in charge since the beginning of December now and if he's not been able to instill the correct attitude into this team by now then it doesn't exactly sit easy with me nor automatically have the faith he'll suddenly be a new manager in a few months time. Hope you're right, but would've been nice to at least see the ideas on the pitch and understanding a few tweeks here or there would transform us but I personally don't see it, we've been battered on multiple occasions in the past few weeks, not good signs.

The problem is RL may not get sufficient help to change it, and there lies the problem. We have brought in too many players with the wrong attitude thanks to PR and he is still here.
We can only give RL the opportunity of a full season. The fact he has seen it and doesn’t want to suffer it is something we haven’t had before, so he is worth a chance in my view.

Understood Joan, can see the argument. However, he's been in charge since the beginning of December now and if he's not been able to instill the correct attitude into this team by now then it doesn't exactly sit easy with me nor automatically have the faith he'll suddenly be a new manager in a few months time. Hope you're right, but would've been nice to at least see the ideas on the pitch and understanding a few tweeks here or there would transform us but I personally don't see it, we've been battered on multiple occasions in the past few weeks, not good signs.
We have been battered in multiple seasons in the past few end of season games let alone this one. That was the expectation of the club reach 50 points and that was job done. Any chances we had were thrown because no one was bothered once championship status was secured. RL has come in and identified this deeply engrained culture and wants rid. He couldn’t possibly have known how deep it ran until 50 points this season and then seen it with his own eyes. It explains that in his interviews about their holidays.

We don't score many neither did Blackburn coming up to the game.

Blackburn weren't afraid of us, we were the ones petrified of them. We made it easy for them to run at us, push us, ask the questions and were efficient. They played Defense to attack so fast. Stuff we want to play. They forced us to go long, so nothing went through the midfield. 2nd balls were won by Them. They had the confidence to risk things.
Dominated all over I'm afraid.

We have been battered in multiple seasons in the past few end of season games let alone this one. That was the expectation of the club reach 50 points and that was job done. Any chances we had were thrown because no one was bothered once championship status was secured. RL has come in and identified this deeply engrained culture as wants rid. He couldn’t possibly have known about until 50 points and then seen it with his own eyes. It explains that in his interviews about their holidays.
Yes he is a fantastic talker...

He's also praising the lads to the hilt that they've been amazing for him, he's the coach and what we're seeing on the pitch is frankly shite, imo I'm not seeing any signs of what he's trying to do other than playing a back 5 - yes the players are not good enough and Peter Ridsdale owns a lot of that responsibility, but I've little faith we'll be signing a significant amount of new/better first 11 players so he'll have to at some point accept he has to get these lads doing what he needs them to be doing, it's his responsibility.

I’ve got up this morning and if anything I’m more pissed off than I was last night. That was the worst, most abject performance in a derby at home in my 44 years of going on Deepdale. If it wasn’t for seeing family and mates, I’d not bother with the remaining home fixture.

A lot has been said about the players - quite rightly - but my concerns about Lowe aren’t going away. Is he another Phil Brown? All hot air?

We’ll find out a lot about him in the next two games I think.
not sure we find much from these last games... based on the last games of a season Frankie was the new PEP

After a nights sleep I would compare North End to a massive boil which last night came to a big yellow head and burst.
The unfortunate thing is that it may take longer than a summer to sort out.
Whatever RL says about players earning contracts I think a lot of them know they have no future at the club and this came to a head last night.

lots I could say about last night, most will have already have been said.. so i'll simply make 3 comments :-
1. We never (well rarely) play well as a team with Riis and Archer start together.... Reading told us that.
2. Greg is finished and if he wasnt a favourite from when he was good would get far more stick than he does.
3. no reason not to give the likes of Coulton; Nevin; ONeill game time at Barnsley. I HOPE RL doesnt punish last nights team by making them play again.....

lots I could say about last night, most will have already have been said.. so i'll simply make 3 comments :-
1. We never (well rarely) play well as a team with Riis and Archer start together.... Reading told us that.
2. Greg is finished and if he wasnt a favourite from when he was good would get far more stick than he does.
3. no reason not to give the likes of Coulton; Nevin; ONeill game time at Barnsley. I HOPE RL doesnt punish last nights team by making them play again.....
With regards to point 3 it would be absolutely the wrong time to give debuts to young players.

I wouldn't write off the massive firepower we carry in the forward line too quickly. Work at it and try and get the best out of them possible, it's the gang behind them that need to find ways of creating the chances required. We're all frustrated but imo bits a threat we're not using well at all. Agree with the rest

Bollocks, Hemmings would not sanction better players being signed. It was his baby lock, stock and barrel. He owned the fucking club 100%. Fucking hate shitheads who think we wouldn’t have a club without Uncle Trevor.
Convince me we would still have a club.

With regards to point 3 it would be absolutely the wrong time to give debuts to young players.
Disagree. They'll have seen how shit the seniors are and be thinking 'if we can't get in now, when will we?'.

Lowe needs to look at the future, not the past.

Apologies for using Maguire as an example (again) but surely RL has seen enough to know he can't be a part of things next season?

Much better to give a young lad some experience.

What would you rather see?

Two or three enthusiastic youngsters buzzing about, or the same old failed names plodding away with faces like slapped arses, playing like they're doing us a favour?

The next two line-ups will tell us a lot about Lowe and whether he's got the minerals to tackle this squad with actions, not words.