PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Reading v PNE - 14/08/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

That's a very bold statement at this moment in time. It took us 4 years to bounce back last time, really enjoyable wasn't it?!
Christ we haven’t gone down yet. Admittedly we’ve been awful but we’ve played 3 games.

Sky bet have us 5th favourites for the drop at 3/1. Not quite the absolute certainty your making out, but then they aren’t emotionally involved.

Christ we haven’t gone down yet. Admittedly we’ve been awful but we’ve played 3 games.

Sky bet have us 5th favourites for the drop at 3/1. Not quite the absolute certainty your making out, but then they aren’t emotionally involved.
We might not do if we can perform miracles in the window between now an the end of it, otherwise teams will just walk through us. John Swift provided a perfect example yesterday.
We are not good enough in every department

It's been mentioned but I never want to see Ledson take a corner, or free kick again.

In fact, just put him on the bench fullstop.
I think many feel that Ledson is absolutely nowhere near the player he was built up to be when he bought him and also nowhere near the player HE thinks he is !!
Bang average for the league below, which will be useful next season !!!

I’ve just watched the highlights. When Joao hits the post, the ball comes to Sepp who just passes out of play instead of taking it forward

That’s the second time in two games we’ve seen a North End player do that. Are they getting coached to kick it out rather than risking losing it when a player is within 15 yards?
During the game there was so many times too when players would just punt it forward hoping for something to drop. Playing like that in this competitive league is a sure way to get relegated. We’ve got players who are more than capable of keeping the ball yet we aren’t playing to those strengths. If this comes from the manager then it’s down to him and he needs to go.

During the game there was so many times too when players would just punt it forward hoping for something to drop. Playing like that in this competitive league is a sure way to get relegated. We’ve got players who are more than capable of keeping the ball yet we aren’t playing to those strengths. If this comes from the manager then it’s down to him and he needs to go.
It's a horrible, safety-first approach that your kid's football coach implements when you're 8-0 down and need to avoid further embarassment.

Against Hull, Cunningham panic-headed a completely free ball from his 6 yard box, straight up the middle of the pitch to a Hull player, no other player within 10 yards of him. Awful communication, awful skills.

I sometimes watch the intricate close control passing exercise they always do with two teams in a square during the warm up. And I think, why the hell are we bothering with this when, come the game, we will just punt it aimlessly up the pitch every time.

I sometimes watch the intricate close control passing exercise they always do with two teams in a square during the warm up. And I think, why the hell are we bothering with this when, come the game, we will just punt it aimlessly up the pitch every time.
Maybe it's to show our defenders how the opposition will dance around them?

My thoughts including some positives from my day out to Reading yesterday.

11:50 ish GWR train from Paddington to Hereford packed with drunken Charleton supporters. Great food market as advised in another post, complete with an awful male singer and a better female singer at the other end. Back to the train station to catch the F1 bus to the ground £3 return. It was sunny! Reading's ground wasn't as bad as some make out. Great entertainment was provided by a solo bald-headed 'protester' endlessly shouting f'off Ridsdale, and 'Ridsdale get out of our club', plus making obligatory V signs towards where he was seated. Each outburst was then followed by text to mates / online group & repeated again for about 30 minutes or so. In truth, this entertainment was probably better than watching the game, but even so...

It is plain to see from our first two league games, that our defence as it stands is simply not up to the task. Can Olosunde alone make the difference? I'm not too sure. I think we need Bauer back in the team asap and tbh another new face alongside him (hopefully a pacey defender at that). The change In our formation to a diamond shape improved things greatly, and despite myself not being his greatest fan, I thought Potts put a lot of effort in once he came on and was very, very unfortunate not to have scored, what overall would have been an undeserved equaliser.

What I'm hoping to see from the Huddersfield match (..if I go), is a team at least harder to break down - hopefully, we can return to a back four.

Due to our defence's belief being shot, I'd go with a slightly awkward 4, 2, 3, 1 formation - Start Berg, Bauer, *another, Cunningham. Put two from Ledson / Browne and Whiteman in front of the central defenders and further up pick a three from Sinclair, Browne, Johnson, Barkhauzen, Potts and Riis up top.

Here’s my split for the problems at the club - TH 52 per cent , PR 46 , FM / Players 2 ….. really want PR gone but without TH lowering his value of the club and a fresh new approach even if we start lower down the League Pyramid nothing changes with this dinosaur owning the club , even the removal of PR , TH would get it wrong ….. cannot wait and it might be 5/10/15 Years to see PR / TH gone from this famous football club , he might put in £5/£6 Million a year to keep us going but it’s a shell of a football club with no plan , no ambition … really not sure why he bothers …. genuinely even with no guarantees would love to see a connect back with the fans , A PLAN , an identity , some football as this is like a slow death

Just a side thought, could it be that we've brought in the analyst guy from Barnsley and UCLan team because T.H / P.R may have realised we have not recruited well enough with the money that has to date been invested? It looks like many of our average players are going to be departing, so will we then begin to see the fruits of his labour? (assuming we stay in the Championship of course)

Just a side thought, could it be that we've brought in the analyst guy from Barnsley and UCLan team because T.H / P.R may have realised we have not recruited well enough with the money that has to date been invested? It looks like many of our average players are going to be departing, so will we then begin to see the fruits of his labour? (assuming we stay in the Championship of course)
This has crossed my mind but staying up seems like a big ask right now.

Things change quickly though, just got to hope McAvoy can find a recipe which covers the many weaknesses of these players and we find some confidence.

Not a job I'd want.

Here’s my split for the problems at the club - TH per cent , PR 46 , FM / Players 2 ….. really want PR gone but without TH lowering his value of the club and a fresh new approach even if we start lower down the League Pyramid nothing changes with this dinosaur owning the club , even the removal of PR , TH would get it wrong ….. cannot wait and it might be 5/10/15 Years to see PR / TH gone from this famous football club , he might put in £5/£6 Million a year to keep us going but it’s a shell of a football club with no plan , no ambition … really not sure why he bothers …. genuinely even with no guarantees would love to see a connect back with the fans , A PLAN , an identity , some football as this is like a slow death
You need to be more specific. 😄

It's usually the good players that depart. Not the average ones. (Although we are quickly running low on good ones)

Before we hand out more cosy contract extensions to any more of this squad, I'd like to know if we are inserting relegation wage drops into their contracts.

Cos being stuck with some of this mush in L1, doesn't sound like a recipe for a swift return.

I've no idea what we have tasked Beet with targeting players wise. But it might be handy for him to know which division, we'll be in next season. Or it'll be a lot of work for nothing.

It's usually the good players that depart. Not the average ones. (Although we are quickly running low on good ones)

Before we hand out more cosy contract extensions to any more of this squad, I'd like to know if we are inserting relegation wage drops into their contracts.

Cos being stuck with some of this mush in L1, doesn't sound like a recipe for a swift return.

I've no idea what we have tasked Beet with targeting players wise. But it might be handy for him to know which division, we'll be in next season. Or it'll be a lot of work for nothing.
Targeting injury prone players up to now by the looks of it. Or did he have nothing to do with Brown an Olusunde? I honestly don't know, I'm just askin the question