PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Most Under rated player at North End you’ve seen?

Ricky Thompson was an amazing player who sadly had his career cut short, I think Josh Earl has the potential to go all the way, he gets a lot of stick from people, but his touch and reading of the game are fantastic for a player of such little first team experience

Ricky Thomson - saw him score and brilliant solo wonder goal at QPR and nearly break the net from 35 yards at West Ham. Had massive potential that was foiled by injury. Earl, as you say, has just about everything - his weakness is an occasional tendency to play a wayward pass too close to our own goal, something he needs to stop doing. Personally I think he might supplant Hughes this season in the way Storey did Clarke last season.

I think Moult is currently underrated by many on here. He has a lot to offer, but is written off by some.

Agreed - if Moult stays clear of injury then he will get goals in the coming season.

The key thing in the coming season will be creating chances.

I remember feeling a little disappointed when Richard Chaplow would be missing from the starting 11.

If you’re wondering, he’s retired now and finished his playing career at Orange County SC in the States ...

I think Gary Swann was quite underratted at the time, grafter with plenty of goals from midfield.
Yeah, Swan was noticed more when he wasn't in the team. Much of his good work made it possible for the rest of the team to play, your typical 'water carrier'. I've mentioned it earlier in this tread- Gary Brazil. Skilful Bob too.

Richard “cue ball” Chaplow. Wouldn’t say underrated, more disappointed. Hoped for more.
Didn't I read somewhere that Alan Irvine insisted on playing him when he was injured, not believing the word of the player that he actually was telling the truth.

Didn't I read somewhere that Alan Irvine insisted on playing him when he was injured, not believing the word of the player that he actually was telling the truth.

Don’t know about that. Remember injury issues including, unusually for PNE, hamstring problems. ?

Oh, so so many...

Kevin Davies - his touch and technique was superb at League 1 level. The amount of goals he was directly involved in was completely overlooked. The way he made space for himself and others was beyond anyone I've ever seen play for Preston. However he did have a very poor goal return, so fair's fair I suppose.

Stuart Beavon - not sure what happened to his career or why he left so abruptly. Garner took up the mantle anyway. Bevs had the most amazing first touch, he could bring it down form anywhere. He had an engine, really bottle and an eye for goal. I'm certain he could have been an essential squad player minimum had he stayed until we made the championship.

There's a fair few more but the King is undoubtedly, as the OP said, Chris Sedgwick.

A Love Letter to Chris Sedgwick

He managed to be one of the first names on the team sheet under every manager he played under. He also managed to change his game very successfully to play in the middle of the park as well as on the wing. His work ethic was unquestionable. He never put his teammates in danger and rarely relinquished the ball to the opposition. Also tough in the challenge and able to pick a man with a cross superbly.

He used to get a fair bit of stick from the unintelligible and the uncouth but he was a real manager's player. He physically, tactically and intelligently played the game to a level were he was almost undroppable.

I'd like to offer an olive branch to his detractors but honestly his lack of real pace and flamboyancy was a simply superficial criticism. He'd still beat his man from a standing start through shear trickery and determination. He's was the James Milner of the Championship and second only to Grezza in my personal favourite Preston players.

x

It was Darren Ferguson who played Chaplow when he was supposedly injured.

Was surprised that Danny Pugh went on to play regularly in the Prem and in an FA Cup Final after leaving us.
...and Dickson Etuhu played in a Europa League Final!...after the clumsy bastard had broken Adam Nowland's leg just as he was finding a bit of form...ironically, Dickson was still a north end player at the time, on loan at Norwich.. never understood why we didn't stipulate he couldn't play against us??

Ricky Thomson was good, but the quality one under the radar was Gordon Coleman.

He lost the plot following his dads death, but before that he was amazing.

We played WetSpam and Trevor Brooking was played off the park by him.
Brookings named him as the most difficult opponent he'd faced at the end of that season, if I remember rightly Brooking got so fed up that he tried a waist high tackle after Coleman took the ball off him.