PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Possible options at Turf Moore

mitsub

With Nugents suspension who will be paired as strikers when we face the dingles? I think Dichio is almost certain of a place based on his recent performances but will ormerod or agyemang be preferred as they are both recovering from injury. Mellor still way out of the question. What are your views?

Re: Possible options at Turf Moore

Im thinking Agyemang then Ormerod after about an hour. Mainly because Aggy wont be fully fit after not playing for a week or two and Brett aint fully fit yet either.

agye n dichio, then whaley later in game if we need a goal.

Possibly Dichio and Whaley. Stick Sedgwick back out on the right, and have Jarrett or McCormack alongside McKenna.

I'm not a Jarrett fan, but this game could end up as a real scrap, and we may need his presence.

Hunter Lionheart said:
Possibly Dichio and Whaley. Stick Sedgwick back out on the right, and have Jarrett or McCormack alongside McKenna.

I'm not a Jarrett fan, but this game could end up as a real scrap, and we may need his presence.

Sorry, but I really don't see Jarrett as a scrapper, more a shirker. The key is continuity wherever possible, and therefore making as few changes as possible.

The midfield is interchangeable, which is good, but to play Whaley in attack is simply not playing to his strengths, which is running from deep and shooting with power.

Added to that, we mustn't forget that Simpson's philosophy is one of defending from the front, and as a unit the team is now pretty well versed in how to go about this. Making too many changes could well upset the applecart.

I think that bringing Callum back in is essential though.

Burnley.jpg

I thought Ormerod would of had a run out on sat if fully fit. Surprised he didn't get on for 15-20 mins if he is to play friday.

It all depends on Agyemang. If he's available, then he's a better option to start. However I doubt Brett's ready to start yet.

I'd actually say McCormack's more of the scrapper type, Jarrett's still big and physical though, he's not gonna be pushed off the ball easily- and I doubt there's a place he'll be able to shirk any responsibility in a game like this.

I'm not a huge fan of him, but if there's a place he can prove himself this is it.

dannypne7 said:
Sorry, but I really don't see Jarrett as a scrapper, more a shirker. The key is continuity wherever possible, and therefore making as few changes as possible.

The midfield is interchangeable, which is good, but to play Whaley in attack is simply not playing to his strengths, which is running from deep and shooting with power.

Added to that, we mustn't forget that Simpson's philosophy is one of defending from the front, and as a unit the team is now pretty well versed in how to go about this. Making too many changes could well upset the applecart.

I think that bringing Callum back in is essential though.

Burnley.jpg

Id go alog with that, IMO Matty Hill is out weak link at the moment and Davidson has more grit but i doubt whether he has the fitness at the moment

I personally think Brett and Dichio would work really work together, now that Diche has his confidence. Dichio can lay it off/put balls through for Ormerod who is more of a natural striker than Pat. We need experience working with experience, A) for a better understanding of each other and B) to be able to handle the home crowd.

I doubt Pat OR Brett are really fit enough to start, so it may have to be Whaley with Sedge out on the right. That would mean we lose a massive part of our build-up play though (Whaley hugging the line and controlling long balls past opponents has been a very influential part of our attacks this season.)

So yeah, it's a pickle. But I'm sure, as has become tradition, Paul Simpson will out-think me and come up with a genius plan. Come on Whites!

Re: Possible options at Turf Moor

I'd go for Dichio and Ormerod, but if Agyemang is fit to play would definitley include him for the final 20-25 minutes. Reading reports of Burnleys game on Saturday, their defence seemed shaky and Jensen kept them in it. Burnley have a reasonable engine room I believe we can match it though. The threat comes from Gray in my opinion I think we can cope with Gifton Noel Williams. How many set pieces have we conceded from? Gray needs watching. On Saturday we gave Hull far two many corners, likewise versus Sunderland. We cannot afford to give Burnley chances like that or we will be punished.

Horse said:
I'd go for Dichio and Ormerod, but if Agyemang is fit to play would definitley include him for the final 20-25 minutes. Reading reports of Burnleys game on Saturday, their defence seemed shaky and Jensen kept them in it. Burnley have a reasonable engine room I believe we can match it though. The threat comes from Gray in my opinion I think we can cope with Gifton Noel Williams. How many set pieces have we conceded from? Gray needs watching. On Saturday we gave Hull far two many corners, likewise versus Sunderland. We cannot afford to give Burnley chances like that or we will be punished.

I agree with what you say Horse but also remember that Wade Elliott gave Grezza a bit of a roasting for pace last year in the first half and we did better when Grezza moved into midfield (for Stock) and Mears moved to right back (or was it Mawene?). I think there may be a case for playing Whaley on the left with Sedgy on the right for his tackling so Grezza's less exposed. If the threat can be nullified at source, we don't need to worry about Gray as he won't get the ball. I think Noel - Williams may be out injured by the way.
I'd play Pugh and McKenna in centre midfield and bring McCormack on or move Callum forward (with Hill coming on) if it needed stiffening.

i'd go for paddy and diche if paddy is fit. then bring ormerod on with 25-30 mins to go . maybe push whaley up with brett and diche if we need a goal.

whaley will deffo give jon harley some problems on friday if he runs at him and takes him on like we know he can do.

please can someone (a mod) correct the spelling of 'Turd' on the thread title, its annoying as fook! :p

I would like to see it being Omerod And Big Dan but i think it will be Ageymang and Dichio because Dichio has finally found his touch i hope and Paddy's speed will tear the burnley defence apart.

PENNYWHITE said:
remember that Wade Elliott gave Grezza a bit of a roasting for pace last year in the first half and we did better when Grezza moved into midfield (for Stock) and Mears moved to right back (or was it Mawene?).

In that case, why not bring Wilson in at right back, move Alexander into midfield, and play Whaley up front with the Colossus.

Wilson is quicker/more athletic than Alexander.

Alexander would add some experience/steel to midfield in what is bound to be a hard fought, physical encounter.

If Ormerod/Agyemang aren't fit, Whaley is our only other option up front.

tonyfoz said:
In that case, why not bring Wilson in at right back, move Alexander into midfield, and play Whaley up front with the Colossus.

Wilson is quicker/more athletic than Alexander.

Alexander would add some experience/steel to midfield in what is bound to be a hard fought, physical encounter.

If Ormerod/Agyemang aren't fit, Whaley is our only other option up front.

That's very sensible.

I'd start Dichio, lone striker, with Ormerod and Whaley as the two additional forwards.

--------------Nash-----------------
Hill - St. Ledger - Chilvers - Alexander

---- Pugh - Sedgwick - Mckenna ----

------- Ormerod ---- Whaley -------

--------------Dichio--------------

Hunter Lionheart said:

mcCormack why?? lightweight jarrett a heavyweight with no idea.........neither have a future at this club

McCormack's a strong tackler. Jarret's big enough and his presence will be very helpful. I'm sorry if you don't like the players we have- would you prefer to recall Brian Stock and have him kicked off the park? Or perhaps we could put shley Parillon in there?