PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Potts

He'll also be 33 when his current contract is up, which is relatively old for a fairly pacey wideman. A completely different situation from the likes of Pearson and Davies, so would we really want to be offering him a contract this far out?
Currently doing the business.

Showing no sign of slowing up in front of goal.

1 year extension.

No brainer.

He'll also be 33 when his current contract is up, which is relatively old for a fairly pacey wideman. A completely different situation from the likes of Pearson and Davies, so would we really want to be offering him a contract this far out?

To be fair I don't think Sinclair really relies on his pace anymore but is much more a technical player.

He certainly does thinks no one else in our squad can and is probably out best finisher.

He is clearly well respected and doing the business as a more experienced pro as we rebuild the squad a bit.

Well worth risking another year IMHO.

I don't think Sinclair is anything resembling a pace merchant tbh. He's not slow by any means, though.

He was also a late starter. He might not lose much more pace either, Vardy hasn't shown signs of slowing down at 34.

To be fair I don't think Sinclair really relies on his pace anymore but is much more a technical player.

He certainly does thinks no one else in our squad can and is probably out best finisher.

He is clearly well respected and doing the business as a more experienced pro as we rebuild the squad a bit.

Well worth risking another year IMHO.

I don't disagree with any of that, and he's certainly a key player for us at the minute, not least becasue he seem to be just about the only player capable of scoring from open play. I just think the nature of his game is one that lends itself to a more dramatic decline than say a Gallagher who, as the legs get older, can just sit in front of the back 4 and dictate a game whilst others do the majority of the leg work for him. Extending Sinclair's contract now would presumably mean keeping with the same wage level, which presumably is the highest/second highest at the club; I just wonder if now would be the correct point to be making that commitment or we'd be better holding off for a wee while to see how he copes with what is going to be an intensive few months coming up (fingers crossed he cope superbly, fires a new look first XI to a play off final victory at Wembley just in time for fans to be back in stadiums - he can have what he wants then :ROFLMAO:)

I don't think Sinclair is anything resembling a pace merchant tbh. He's not slow by any means, though.

He was also a late starter. He might not lose much more pace either, Vardy hasn't shown signs of slowing down at 34.
Late starter? He made his debut as a 15 year old and had made about 60 pro appearances before he'd turned 20. He's not exactly a speed merchant now, but during the bulk of his playing career he had decent pace about him which I'd suggest is declining now (something I seem to remember Celtic fans commneting in when he left them and why they felt it was probably time for him to move on). I'm not for one moment suggesting he isn't currently a very good player for him, just whetehr the timing of extending a contract with another year and a hlaf for someone of his age would be correct; feels a little knee-jerk in response to the BP, BD, DJ situation

Late starter? He made his debut as a 15 year old and had made about 60 pro appearances before he'd turned 20.
But as the podcast lads pointed out he’s only made the same number of pro appearances as Hughes yet is 4 years older

Any clue how he plays 90 minutes in home games, it dosen't work!

Was looking OK in the first half linking up well with Riis and Sinclair but second half he disappeared.

Then again no one really offered much as an attacking threat in the second half.

It is so rare he puts in two back to back performances.

He did okay 1st half. 2nd half anonymous like the rest of our forwards?

Not sure he’s someone who deserves singling out today, but looking at the replies to the tweet announcing our line-up I think many had already made their minds up about his performance.

That said we do need to bring in a silky / technical / creative winger to offer something different in these games.

To me he's simply far more effective away from home, mind you could say that for half of the regular 11 this season!

Someone put up a video of Pearson's passing v Leeds last season and that reminded me that Potts was outstanding that day, pressing and linking up well with Nugent I think who started upfront.

He's had some really good games away from home in his two years here and chipped in with the odd goal but I'm struggling to think of too many at Deepdale.

When defences sit deep he dosen't really offer much bar a flick on or two from long balls. Could say the same for Barky but he's a more regular goalscorer.

Could all these same questions not be pointed at Sinclair as well at home? Barkhuizen too.

We just don't have a creative, match changing wide player in the squad because they cost a shit load.

We needed a McGeady, Lewis, Wallace today but how much would they have cost in their prime in the current market?

Couldn't afford him i'd imagine but i'd love Adam Reach back if Wednesday go down.

Potts perfectly sums up this squad - hard working, hard running but limited. Often frustrating to watch and better away from home.
Personally I thought it was a good point earned today against a far more talented outfit than ourselves.