PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

CONFIRMED Rob Paddock confirms PNE exit

Doesn't mention wages in the advert and says you will be expected to do more hours than contracted if needs be, and those hours will be paid back in lieu. I've been there, you never get the hours back. You can't turn round and say "I want this day off because you owe me x amount of hours" never happening. Great gig for a person straight out of uni but you're not gonna tempt any established talent.

My first vid on the job would be Potts cleaning and polishing a car bonnet. Putting a line under his past mistakes.

Bbc GIF by The Apprentice UK

Doesn't mention wages in the advert and says you will be expected to do more hours than contracted if needs be, and those hours will be paid back in lieu. I've been there, you never get the hours back. You can't turn round and say "I want this day off because you owe me x amount of hours" never happening. Great gig for a person straight out of uni but you're not gonna tempt any established talent.

It says “competitive salary” as most job adverts would do as they are going to pay based on experience. No one is going to go into that role not expecting that your hours will be varied when cup runs and TV games will alter that “9-5Mon-Fri” beyond doubt across a football season. They manage to give the players time off around games when the schedule is hectic so there is no reason other employees won’t benefit when there are gaps in the season. Same reason our Director is seemingly on holiday in Spain even though the season is underway. Our media team seems to be poached reasonably regularly and they haven’t all just been students. Admittedly if you are just leaving Uni then it’s a fracking way to raise your profile quickly all the same if you do a good job

It says “competitive salary” as most job adverts would do as they are going to pay based on experience. No one is going to go into that role not expecting that your hours will be varied when cup runs and TV games will alter that “9-5Mon-Fri” beyond doubt across a football season. They manage to give the players time off around games when the schedule is hectic so there is no reason other employees won’t benefit when there are gaps in the season. Same reason our Director is seemingly on holiday in Spain even though the season is underway. Our media team seems to be poached reasonably regularly and they haven’t all just been students. Admittedly if you are just leaving Uni then it’s a fracking way to raise your profile quickly all the same if you do a good job
I'm a media w*nker - worked for BBC, C4, Nat Geo, Netflix (in long-form broadcasting) then moved to short-form (read: digital) working for brands like Red Bull, Sony, and Complex.

When a gig like this says 'Salary: Competitive' what they mean is you're likely going to be paid <£24k to be a one-person band Preditor (Producer/Editor) who's responsible for everything, working all the hours the job demands (and it will be a lot) ultimately being judged by UX at the mercy of algorithms.*

Sure, it might sound your dream job (Ribble Valley + North End + Booths = Happiness) but it's likely to be for the love of the work rather than anything else.

The same goes for most media gigs; they're grueling (alright, we're not working in a prison or down pit but the pressure is certainly palpable) fairly low paid (when actual working hours are factored in) and there's always someone coming out of college who's (a) cheaper and (b) knows the latest SoMe trends better than you ever will.

*To be clear, this isn't a pop at North End - it's just the reality of media jobs these days.

What are these cup runs you speak of?