PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Should We Ditch The Wingbacks?

What's your preferred formation for PNE?

• Total voters
I do believe that 3-4-1-2 is the best formation for us. It allows Mads a free role and 2 up top to occupy the opposition centre halves.

3 centre backs allows us to cover for the lack of pace in the position. We also have decent 6's and 8d with McCann, Whiteman and Browne.

But once again, we don't have the depth at wing back. Potts is a good rotation option, as is Brady. But two pacy, forward thinking wing backs, along with pacy centre halves are needed to see out next season.
I thought that's what we have been playing since the Bristol City win at home which has served us better. Pity the manager didn't try that earlier in the season!

I recall the very respected Craig Brown wanting to play wing backs at PNE and he soon sacked it off with the personnel he had , they were actually better personnel back then than we’ve got now so why does Lowe persist??? Listen to this weeks PNE weekly podcast with the LEP guy- his guest this week was Steve Eyres ex city coach his views on this PNE system is very interesting

I went to St Mary's yesterday evening.
When he was taken off I actually felt sorry for Holmes. He was totally hung out to dry! He is no RB which is the position it basically was because Southampton wouldn't let us play with their ball!
No other club I can think of can't play 3 CBs because they haven't any wing backs but also can't play 4 at the back because they haven't any full backs! Gross mismanagement!

I went to St Mary's yesterday evening.
When he was taken off I actually felt sorry for Holmes. He was totally hung out to dry! He is no RB which is the position it basically was because Southampton wouldn't let us play with their ball!
No other club I can think of can't play 3 CBs because they haven't any wing backs but also can't play 4 at the back because they haven't any full backs! Gross mismanagement!

Totally agree.... And he's not the first to be stiffed and made to look stupid by this clot.... All in the name of a shit formation and with no players to execute it.

not sure how we play a back 4 without a RB either ?? at least a back 3 + WB's gives the option of a Storey covering across.

Its not like Holmes has never done the role before he joined PNE but it takes a far better defender than Holmes to keep Adam A quiet (and I dont mean Robbie B)

Look at that. Coventry get rid of the atrocious 5 at the back and go to 4 at the back and suddenly have scored twice against United after a first half that was like a training game
Three times

Look at that. Coventry get rid of the atrocious 5 at the back and go to 4 at the back and suddenly have scored twice against United after a first half that was like a training game

I also thought Manchester United's first also highlighted the benefits of playing with a winger and a fullback, with Dalot overlapping Garnacho for the cross. Wouldn't get that in Lowe's 3-5-2.

not sure how we play a back 4 without a RB either ?? at least a back 3 + WB's gives the option of a Storey covering across.

Its not like Holmes has never done the role before he joined PNE but it takes a far better defender than Holmes to keep Adam A quiet (and I dont mean Robbie B)

I know this is a pretty wild suggestion, but maybe we could sign a right back?

Last time I checked, the only Championship clubs with 3/5 at the back, apart from ourselves, were mainly bottom half outfits -Blackburn, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham, Sunderland, Bristol City and Plymouth (there are possibly others who - shock, horror! - vary their formations).

Last time I checked, the only Championship clubs with 3/5 at the back, apart from ourselves, were mainly bottom half outfits -Blackburn, Sheffield Wednesday, Rotherham, Sunderland, Bristol City and Plymouth (there are possibly others who - shock, horror! - vary their formations).
And comparatively, the teams that play 433/4321 -

Leicester, Ipswich, Norwich, WBA, Leeds, Southampton, Hull, Boro, Coventry, Cardiff

Just for the people that say we have to play with two strikers

I'd forgotten about how upset people got that we played just one striker.

Gotta have actual threats out wide though, playing a 4-3-3 with Brady and Potts as your wide players, and you're not gonna enjoy the result!
Probably because when we play one striker it usually means defenders and midfielders launching punts in his general direction and if, by some miracle, he manages to control the ball, he has no support as he is isolated.

It's a system that clearly works for many teams but as you say, you need the right players - wide players, and 'no.10' - giving close support.

I'd forgotten about how upset people got that we played just one striker.

Gotta have actual threats out wide though, playing a 4-3-3 with Brady and Potts as your wide players, and you're not gonna enjoy the result!

Probably our best fullback-winger pairing was the year we had Robinson-Cunningham on the left and Fisher-Barky on the right. Wouldnt say that we have anyone contracted to us next season who are as good in the wide positions as those guys were.

Cunningham went for £3.5m, Robinson for £7m, in their primes Fisher and Barky probably fetch £5m between them.

It's maddening that despite still not having the players suitable for a back 5, we're also miles off the required quality for a back 4 too

Probably our best fullback-winger pairing was the year we had Robinson-Cunningham on the left and Fisher-Barky on the right. Wouldnt say that we have anyone contracted to us next season who are as good in the wide positions as those guys were.

Cunningham went for £3.5m, Robinson for £7m, in their primes Fisher and Barky probably fetch £5m between them.

It's maddening that despite still not having the players suitable for a back 5, we're also miles off the required quality for a back 4 too

Yep, having quality full backs was so important there, Fisher still not replaced.