PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

So 60 years on?

Can this thread be renamed "The Masochists"?! Not sure that raking over the past is much help now as virtually everyone "to blame" has been and gone but if it makes people feel better, fair enough!

My first season was 1985/6 so I tend to have a fairly positive view of things for the most part.

Give it a bit more time for that to irrevocably change for the worse ;)

I remember the papers back in the relegation season changing the PP meaning to Powderpuff Preston. It shows how much Sir Tom meant to the team. He retires, they get relegated the following season.

Even in the fifties the Media called
'em The Preston Plumber and the Ten Drips.
They (media)were then & always probably will be biased against a Northern Town Club doing anything.

Yep, I hold my hand up, thought we would win promotion the following season with Bobby Charlton as player manager after coming out of retirement.
We started well but fell away at the end of the season, Charlton then fell out with the Directors over the sale of John Bird to Newcastle, with Alex Bruce returning to Deepdale as part of the deal.
Had to wait until Nobby Stiles took us back up in 1977/78 and fantastic celebrations on the flag market. 😀👍
Bobby took over at PNE at the same time as his brother Jack took over at Middlesbrough. Both had the ambition of taking their clubs out of the division & both succeeded. One went up, one went down.

We ended that season playing a right half, Dave Barber, at centre forward. He scored one or two but obviously not enough.
Dave Barber signed from Barnsley the beginning of the following season. It was Garbutt Richardson who was experimented with at centre-forward. It didn’t work!. North End went through the whole season without signing a single player to try to stave org relegation. They did make an attempt to sign Alex Young and George Thomson from Hearts, but they went to Everton.
North End’s last game of that season was at Bolton, a 1-1 draw. I went with some friends, never thinking it would be thei last game in the top flight for at least 60+ years.

Dave Barber signed from Barnsley the beginning of the following season. It was Garbutt Richardson who was experimented with at centre-forward. It didn’t work!. North End went through the whole season without signing a single player to try to stave org relegation. They did make an attempt to sign Alex Young and George Thomson from Hearts, but they went to Everton.

Yep 👍

Alex Young went to Everton for £40,000?

Bobby took over at PNE at the same time as his brother Jack took over at Middlesbrough. Both had the ambition of taking their clubs out of the division & both succeeded. One went up, one went down.
Middlesbrough played North End at Deepdale at the end of that season and ran out winners 4-2 in front of a healthy and higher than average crowd of over 16,000.

Can this thread be renamed "The Masochists"?! Not sure that raking over the past is much help now as virtually everyone "to blame" has been and gone but if it makes people feel better, fair enough!

My first season was 1985/6 so I tend to have a fairly positive view of things for the most part.

Good for you. 👍

Yep 👍

Alex Young went to Everton for £40,000?
Yes, that's the figure that sticks in my mind for some reason. Did well at Everton but strangely only won a handful of Scotland caps. I think he became known as 'The Golden Vision' and seem to recall a TV documentary about him.

Yes, that's the figure that sticks in my mind for some reason. Did well at Everton but strangely only won a handful of Scotland caps. I think he became known as 'The Golden Vision' and seem to recall a TV documentary about him.

".......before joining Everton in a joint deal with George Thomson for £55,000."

Maybe we offered £40,000?

Ridsdale's new argument seems to be, because we've not been up there for 60 years, we have no history of being up there, so we should stop expecting it to happen, and get fully behind his mid-table mediocrity project instead.

Meanwhile, here's a few records we currently hold:

Longest absence from the top flight for a current league club
Biggest club never to have played in the Premier League, according to HITC
Least likely Championship club to "do a Brentford", according to Football365
Isn't life a bowl of cherries.

Indeed, Northampton's rise and fall was spectacular. Successive promotions up to the top tier then back down to the fourh division almost as quickly
I seem to remember Huddersfield plummeting from division one to division four, in successive seasons in the 1970s. No parachute payments in those days.

Wouldn’t that be Bristol City?
Several sporting YouTube channels say otherwise.
I agree with them

They’ve had 16 years in the top flight in their entire history and their biggest title win was the old second division and the Anglo Scottish Cup.