PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

So who do we want?

Who should be our new manager?

• Lowe

Votes: 178 55.1%
  • Ainsworth

Votes: 64 19.8%
  • Davidson

Votes: 53 16.4%
  • Keane

Votes: 25 7.7%
  • Cook

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Critchley

Votes: 15 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 28 8.7%
  • Carrick

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • B*rton

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Almost everywhere in England is about 3 hours from London - except the Cumbria coast.

True, they are football mad in the NE but it still a bit of a backwater in that foreign 'stars' don't really want to go there. With all the millions at their disposal the only person they could persuade to manage them was Eddie Howe**. I suspect if Howe had come to PNE half this board would underwhelmed! With the exception of Liverpool and Manchester United, who are 'world' teams rather than English ones, I suspect most foreigners would prefer to sign for a top London team so they could be near to the bright lights and fleshpots of Soho rather than be stuck in the provinces.

** - I'm not Nostradamus, it could turn out to be a brilliant appointment.
Tbf Howe is very highly rated within footballing circles, and I highly doubt he's there long term choice to win trophies.

He's their to build a fresh young team and fix the toxic culture around the club. City didn't immediately appoint Mancini after their takeover, either.

Almost everywhere in England is about 3 hours from London - except the Cumbria coast.

True, they are football mad in the NE but it still a bit of a backwater in that foreign 'stars' don't really want to go there. With all the millions at their disposal the only person they could persuade to manage them was Eddie Howe**. I suspect if Howe had come to PNE half this board would underwhelmed! With the exception of Liverpool and Manchester United, who are 'world' teams rather than English ones, I suspect most foreigners would prefer to sign for a top London team so they could be near to the bright lights and fleshpots of Soho rather than be stuck in the provinces.

** - I'm not Nostradamus, it could turn out to be a brilliant appointment.
I'm not talking about foreigners, British players or managers don't want to join Plymouth.

Davidson’s team are 12th and bottom of the Scottish Prem and Grezza’s side are in 4th.

Ainsworth wins three nil at Plymouth yet Lowe is the messiah.

I love this forum.

COYW

Davidson’s team are 12th and bottom of the Scottish Prem and Grezza’s side are in 4th.

I love this forum.

COYW

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

We all know how this will ultimately turn out - another false dawn. Still we can all have another ride on the rollercoaster that is PNE until that happens.

I love this forum.

COYW
I think the avalanche of social media comments, media scrutiny and fan emails with regards to the style of play have been ringing in Riddlers ears. Ainsworth would have galvanised the fans for sure, but the style of play isn't too easy on the eye. Riddler made a big point of talking about the style of play when Lowe came in and Lowe has made a massive point of it himself in every media clip. I think that's clearly been a huge factor in why he's been appointed.

I think the avalanche of social media comments, media scrutiny and fan emails with regards to the style of play have been ringing in Riddlers ears. Ainsworth would have galvanised the fans for sure, but the style of play isn't too easy on the eye. Riddler made a big point of talking about the style of play when Lowe came in and Lowe has made a massive point of it himself in every media clip. I think that's clearly been a huge factor in why he's been appointed.
I made this very point to Peter in an email at the beginning of the season

Jeff Sterling’s references to ‘Ryan Lowe’s Preston North End’ kinda sums it ip for me. ‘‘Twas rarely FM’s PNE….
It works both ways (better in good times and an unwelcome weight in bad) but he is much more of a talisman for the club, players, staff (and new signings) - So let’s enjoy it while it lasts - which I expect will be for a reasonably long time

I love this forum.

COYW
A word of advice.

When visibly backing ones self into a tightening corner, always leave an escape route because as sure as night follows day, you will at some stage require it.

You're a decent poster but I fear that you are going to look a little silly going Route One too early in your dismissing of Ryan Lowe.

Myself? I am happy with the appointment and cautiously optimistic given the imbalances within the current squad. Next summer when OoC players leave (and arrive!) is when the fun really starts.

Not just the style of play, but its consequences - the visibly declining home gates in the last weeks of Frankieball.

Lowe has repeatedly linked playing attractive attacking football with getting fans back into Deepdale.

Ridsdale is no football purist and likely couldn't care less how we play as long as we win enough games, but he'll always be forced to act when his boss points out falling ticket sales.

Not just the style of play, but its consequences - the visibly declining home gates in the last weeks of Frankieball.

Lowe has repeatedly linked playing attractive attacking football with getting fans back into Deepdale.

Ridsdale is no football purist and likely couldn't care less how we play as long as we win enough games, but he'll always be forced to act when his boss points out falling ticket sales.
Oh yeah absolutely. When the bottom line is being affected and the key contributing factor is the style of play then he has to act. I'm fairly sure Ainsworth and Davidson would have been high on the list but wouldn't have been able to make the same promises.

I love this forum.

COYW

He's not the Messiah, he's just a very naughty boy.

We all know how this will ultimately turn out - another false dawn. Still we can all have another ride on the rollercoaster that is PNE until that happens.

Lowe is being written off already. I love this forum. You couldn't make this shit up.

You know what? Let's bring Frankie and Neil back because falling asleep at home matches has been a common theme over the past three years.

Why don't you actually back the manager that we have just appointed instead of being pathetic and writing him off after his first game.

Some people just need to grow up and I will say it as I see it - it's fucking embarrassing.

Lowe is being written off already. I love this forum. You couldn't make this shit up.

You know what? Let's bring Frankie and Neil back because falling asleep at home matches has been a common theme over the past three years.

Why don't you actually back the manager that we have just appointed instead of being pathetic and writing him off after his first game.

Some people just need to grow up and I will say it as I see it - it's fucking embarrassing.

Totally. There were about 5 suitable, non left field candidates whatever way you cut it and of those Lowe is as sensible an appointment as we could have made. I bloody enjoyed yesterday, loved the width of the play and the position switching, the forward passing. In one game he has changed so much, everyone just wants to be the 'I told you so' doom merchant, it's pathetic.

I liked the interview after as well. The squad aren't terrible, they've just been made to feel that after a good few years of ultra defensive shite. We aren't fucking Yeovil or Rotherham in the Championship, we are PNE and when we are at home we should look to take the opponents apart, fuck what formation they are playing.

Lots to like about Lowe already. So glad he has brought in a proper coach as well.

This.

Social Media and Forums - yes this one - to a certain extent can do one at times.

It was always so much better having a whinge over a post match pint in the Garrison.

A word of advice.

When visibly backing ones self into a tightening corner, always leave an escape route because as sure as night follows day, you will at some stage require it.

You're a decent poster but I fear that you are going to look a little silly going Route One too early in your dismissing of Ryan Lowe.

Myself? I am happy with the appointment and cautiously optimistic given the imbalances within the current squad. Next summer when OoC players leave (and arrive!) is when the fun really starts.

@justinr73 and backing himself into a corner, name a more iconic duo.

Do you not remember him clinging to his early assessment of Pearson for years, even when he was our best player for 2 and a half years.

Reasonable poster otherwise, but we could win the UCL under RL and he’ll still be going on about how Ainsworth’s Wycombe once beat Lowe’s Plymouth

A word of advice.

Thanks for the advice, and you’ve posted far more shite than I have, but it’s not my first rodeo as you know.

Very happy we’ve taken Lowe over Davidson.

I’d have preferred Ainsworth or Grezza but, failing that, I’m content to be the voice of reason amongst a sea of hyperbole.

On the contrary, it is possible to make this shit up. And in fact, you just did.