PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Tactical observation from the commentator.

Apologies, I have tried to find out who the woman who commentated on SS was tonight but can't find the info. Anyway, first half, she made a really good point I hadn't realised.

She said something along the lines of 'it's fascinating watching PNE (I fell off my chair at this point but carried on) as they are really well set up tactically as they are reverting to a back five out of possession and moving to almost a 433 when they have the ball'.

And she was right. We very much did that in the first half. Millar made it possible alongside Greg who would drop into LB when he went forward.

It leads me to think that if we are set up like this (and fair play, that was for me the best we've played this season) then I don't know how we do it without Millar in the side and Greg/Hughes dropping behind.

Anyway, just thought that was a commentator actually saying something of interest that I would pass on. Have we been doing this before this game?

Apologies, I have tried to find out who the woman who commentated on SS was tonight but can't find the info. Anyway, first half, she made a really good point I hadn't realised.

She said something along the lines of 'it's fascinating watching PNE (I fell off my chair at this point but carried on) as they are really well set up tactically as they are reverting to a back five out of possession and moving to almost a 433 when they have the ball'.

And she was right. We very much did that in the first half. Millar made it possible alongside Greg who would drop into LB when he went forward.

It leads me to think that if we are set up like this (and fair play, that was for me the best we've played this season) then I don't know how we do it without Millar in the side and Greg/Hughes dropping behind.

Anyway, just thought that was a commentator actually saying something of interest that I would pass on. Have we been doing this before this game?

Yeah I heard that too Durutti. She said we change from a back 3 when going forwards to a back 5 when defending and to a midfield diamond at times.

Millar is crucial for us this season.

I think Lowe & his staff know this. He's a wonderful footballer, quick, direct, skillful and clever. The problem with playing him at wing back is he's about as strong as an autumn leaf blowing around in the wind when it comes to the physical side of defending. That's not a criticism its just how he is.

We need Cunningham or Hughes, whichever is playing to cover that side defensively and allow Millar to go and cause some damage.

That’s the nature of playing wingbacks. We definitely need a left sided centre half if Hughes is always injured.

Ben Davies??

Talked a bit too much but a lot more informative than most commentators which isn't a bad thing. Her take on the penalty shout was abysmal though.

yes

Courtney sweetman kirk I think it was. She's decent, not a box ticker like Eni Aluko or Karen Carney. Knows her stuff.

I've been watching football for quite a number of years and I honestly cannot see formations, tactics or anything other than 22 people on a football pitch with some of them running around and some of them not!

I know when it is boring and when it is exciting, and can tell you that when it is boring the players stroll around looking uninterested and when it is exciting the players tend to run around quicker!

Still (just about) enjoy it.

Am I the only one like this?

I've been watching football for quite a number of years and I honestly cannot see formations, tactics or anything other than 22 people on a football pitch with some of them running around and some of them not!

I know when it is boring and when it is exciting, and can tell you that when it is boring the players stroll around looking uninterested and when it is exciting the players tend to run around quicker!

Still (just about) enjoy it.

Am I the only one like this?

Depends on where you are sitting. Behind the goal patterns and formation are hard to see. My preferred seat is high on the halfway line, the chess pieces are easier to interpret

Millar is crucial for us this season.

I think Lowe & his staff know this. He's a wonderful footballer, quick, direct, skillful and clever. The problem with playing him at wing back is he's about as strong as an autumn leaf blowing around in the wind when it comes to the physical side of defending. That's not a criticism its just how he is.

We need Cunningham or Hughes, whichever is playing to cover that side defensively and allow Millar to go and cause some damage.

I agree. Not a great performance from him last night but there will be games where he puts teams to the sword. Very balanced. Get him signed.

Courtney sweetman kirk I think it was. She's decent, not a box ticker like Eni Aluko or Karen Carney. Knows her stuff.

Cheers. She's great. Not scared of giving an actual opinion either like the handball. Yeah, it's the wrong opinion but still