PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Tap room football at Champagne prices

£32 seems to be a minimum price at Brighton - a ground I hope to get to next season. I remember driving past it just after we came down and remarking to myself that I hoped to be able to get to it at some point - they went up past us the same season as I recall. It is rather spectacular in its setting. Returns to Charlton and Fulham are also something to look forward to. Pity that Portsmouth have plumetted so far - a visit to their ground is like a trip back to the 60s in its atmosphere.

A £32 match ticket will seem cheap compared to the cost of getting there!

A £32 match ticket will seem cheap compared to the cost of getting there!

Obviously I am rather closer. From my perspective Millwall are fairly close by but they have passed us on the way down, while I notice Orient have descended to the depths of the bottom division. Odd to think that only the season before the one just gone Orient set off like a steam train and looked like they might run away with the division - until that match of course. Teams that just miss out one season often struggle the next and that is another reason why our achievement in this last season was so noteworthy. How we might have fared next season if we had somehow failed in the play-offs hardly bears thinking about. Despite the longer journey Brighton seems a more appealing prospect than Millwall. Reading is nice ground to be in as well.

Last edited:
Obviously I am rather closer. From my persepective Millwall are fairly close by but they have passed us on the way down, while I notice Orient have descended to the depths of the bottom division. Odd to think that only the season before the one just gone Orient set off like a steam train and looked like they might run away with the division - until that match of course. Teams that just miss out one season often struggle the next and that is another reason why our achievement in this last season was so noteworthy. How we might have fared next season if we had somehow failed in the play-offs hardly bears thinking about. Despite the longer journey Brighton seems a more appealing prospect than Millwall. Reading is nice ground to be in as well.

The Madjeski Stadium is a soulless bowl - see you there...

The Madjeski Stadium is a soulless bowl - see you there...

I suppose these things are subjective - because it is completely in-the-round I have always thought it one of the better completely modern grounds. But, I agree, football grounds with possibly even slightly eccentric character do have an atmosphere of their own. The 'cottage' at Fulham is a case in point.

I suppose these things are subjective - because it is completely in-the-round I have always thought it one of the better completely modern grounds. But, I agree, football grounds with possibly even slightly eccentric character do have an atmosphere of their own. The 'cottage' at Fulham is a case in point.

great ground is fulham

One ground I really dont like is leeds - no matter where you sit you always seem a distance from the pitch

Favorite ground (bar deepdale) - the old Highbury and old Burden park

Looking forward to this season - I can walk to 2 grounds, Fulham and QPR, and Brentford is probably only an hour or so away on foot! Charlton is easily commutable as are Brighton and Reading, it's just a shame that Millwall went down and Watford went up.

Roll on some easy away days!!

Favorite ground (bar deepdale) - the old Highbury and old Burden park

Never went to the old Highbury - certainly did go to the old Burnden Park. Thinking about the FA Cup 4th Round 64 it must have been the first away ground I ever went to - isn't it a supermarket now. I did once try to tot up all the grounds where I have watched us that no longer exist - Burnden Park, Ayresome Park, the old Wimbledon ground, Oxford's old ground, Brighton Goldstone and I suppose that dreadful municipal athletics track they moved to though is it still used for football, the appalling Millwall Den. There may be a few others - I suppose Upton Park will join the list in a couple of years.

Last edited:

Reading is rubbish Ernest. It is the most warehouse looking ground from the outside that I've seen and that's saying something given some of the new grounds.

Reading is rubbish Ernest. It is the most warehouse looking ground from the outside that I've seen and that's saying something given some of the new grounds.

Plus the pies there must be the most expensive I've ever bought. I could feed my family for a month on what I paid for a growler at Reading.

The most leg room of any stadium I've ever been in though.

Anything over £30 for an adult-ticket, I'll probably sack it off. I know it's only a few quid difference, but when I'm taking two kids with me it soon adds up.

I do work some weekends, so a ST may work for the sprogs, but not so sure about me.

Hate to say it, but I will be picking & choosing this season.