PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Team Vs. Plymouth

If we supporters haven’t a clue what the team will be, then Plymouth will struggle to plan a strategy on how to play against us

Now we have Mitrovic the second we don’t even need to think about risking Keane.

Definitely wouldn't risk Keane. We've flogged him so far and he ended up getting injured. Let him get 100% fit ready to go again, quality player who we'll need as the season goes on.

I'd go with...

Woodman

Potts RWB
Hughes LWB

Storey RCB
Whatmough CB
Lindsay LCB

McCann DM
Holmes CM
Browne CM

Osmajic CF
Millar CF

Millar seems like a player that would drop into the pockets rather than playing fully up top, so we'd have Browne, Millar and Holmes at times buzzing about with Osmajic told to stay up top on the shoulder of the last defender to use his pace and strength.

I know some will say we can't start Millar and Osmajic as they have just landed but I don't want us to risk Keane so we need to have a reshuffle as the forward line so far has been centred around Keane who has been immense. Plus those two lads haven't come here to sit on the bench getting 5 minute cameos, they're proven quality. Get them in the side.

Our selection last week was deliberately defensive and the tactic worked. But today at our place we have to be more creative and attacking in intent from the start. That probably means returning Whatmough to the bench even though he played well last week so that Hughes can drop back to what I still think is his best position on the left of a back three allowing us to bring in a further more genuinely attacking midfielder. Then assuming no Keane and with Osmajic upfront the only question as far as I can see is who plays wide left so maybe:

Woodman
Storey, Lindsay, Hughes
Potts, Ledson, McCann, Millar or Best
Browne, Holmes
Osmajic

Subs: Cornell, Whatmough, Cunningham, Whiteman (assuming fit), Brady (assuming fit), Woodburn, Froakjaer, Stewart (assuming fit), Best or Millar.

But I don't think I ever guessed correctly what team a PNE manager will select and I don't necessarily think that will change today.

I'd be expecting Mads to start.
I'm not so sure. Plymouth won't sit back, this will be like a basketball game I think, end to end. We will need runners and energy, Mads doesn't necessarily give us that. I think Holmes starts with Mads on the bench.

I'm not so sure. Plymouth won't sit back, this will be like a basketball game I think, end to end. We will need runners and energy, Mads doesn't necessarily give us that. I think Holmes starts with Mads on the bench.

Tend to agree. Frokjaer is an exciting player and has already contributed a couple of really memorable moments - his goal against Sunderland and the cross to set up Holmes to score against Swansea - as well good all-round play. But he was a bit below oar in the first half last week-end and Holmes really did change the march when he came on. As such Holmes deserves to start. It will then be up to Frokjaer to restate his case for a starting place if he comes on.