PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The Ryan Lowe Thread!

diagonals from a fullback (remember them?!)

That's another thing, people lament the 4-4-2 system with those full backs, but when it worked it was superb. Prime example is Beckham and Neville on the right, overlapping and covering each other.

We should re-introduce it. It's what Pep does, he introduces his own system and everyone follows. By the time they all catch up Pep is trying something else. There's zero point everyone playing the same system. Any manager who is going to be truly successful and remembered has to cut his own furrow. Stop following all this rigid play out from the back bollocks cause Pep does it with the best players in the world who are happy to receive a ball with two men marking them.

That's another thing, people lament the 4-4-2 system with those full backs, but when it worked it was superb. Prime example is Beckham and Neville on the right, overlapping and covering each other.

We should re-introduce it. It's what Pep does, he introduces his own system and everyone follows. By the time they all catch up Pep is trying something else. There's zero point everyone playing the same system. Any manager who is going to be truly successful and remembered has to cut his own furrow. Stop following all this rigid play out from the back bollocks cause Pep does it with the best players in the world who are happy to receive a ball with two men marking them.

You're singing from my hymn sheet here. I've been considering producing a pamphlet on modern football tactics entitled "Don't try and play out from the back when you're crap".

Well they'd have to be by definition given that we can't retain possession and chase shadows in a completely disorganised press for 65% of the game on average.
There is no press! We routinely sit back and allow the opposition to knock the ball about at will and consequently invite pressure. It's lazy defending.
Against Norwich there were at least 3 or 4 occasions where Norwich were allowed to shoot from 20/25yards and thankfully Woodman managed to push there efforts round the post. No closing down, no press, just amateur, lazy defending.

"It has just been unfortunate for Patrick, that the back three lads and Jack, Greg and Besty when they’ve come in, have all performed to the levels I expect."

Its slightly worrying that some of our defensive performances have been the level Lowe expects!
When has 'Besty' had a real chance to step in? Why hasn't Bauer even been on the bench?

Last season that was probably right, but not this season.

I'd actually say we rarely play out with the CBs now this season, we've made some slight tweaks in style vs last year and this is one of them.

The average length of his goal kicks this season has gone from 49.9m to 61.9m as an example and now launches (kicks long) 89.7% of his goal kicks vs 66.1% last season.

Glad the stats back up the naked eye on this one.
agree and Lowe even said as much earlier in the season that we are trying to start play in the opposition half, rather than our half this season based on goalkicks....
Not just to Potts but also Storey who goes up for them. We also go left to Brady or Hughes in the same style.

Freddie does go short when the opposition sit back as well though.

Its when we get the ball the passing back and across starts, which is why we aren't 'long ball' by the normal meaning of that phrase.....
We might do long passes, LCB out to RW; RWB across to Millar etc......long diags in other words.... but we dont go long to CF's and fight for freekicks and second balls like true Long Ball sides do.

There is no press! We routinely sit back and allow the opposition to knock the ball about at will and consequently invite pressure. It's lazy defending.
Against Norwich there were at least 3 or 4 occasions where Norwich were allowed to shoot from 20/25yards and thankfully Woodman managed to push there efforts round the post. No closing down, no press, just amateur, lazy defending.
we scored 3 v Ipswich because of the high press

"It has just been unfortunate for Patrick, that the back three lads and Jack, Greg and Besty when they’ve come in, have all performed to the levels I expect."

Its slightly worrying that some of our defensive performances have been the level Lowe expects!
I'll never understand that contract extension. Lowe talks about "honouring the contract negotiations" but Lowe had only been here a month and was supposedly coming in to play an attacking brand of football.

Bauer was never gonna suit that style and his bad injury has already affected his mobility. We needed to replace him with a younger option.

But much like with all the other guys who stick it out 3 seasons here, we always scramble to reward them with fresh extensions.

We talk about FFP issues and then lumber ourselves with guys who never bloody play. How about honouring the fans with a squad that isn't bloated with crap.

You're singing from my hymn sheet here. I've been considering producing a pamphlet on modern football tactics entitled "Don't try and play out from the back when you're crap".
This just came out today. Have a listen from 34 minutes in if you can’t be arsed with all of it. It’s exactly what we’re saying here.

I’ve just listened to Lowe speaking about Patrick Bauer being told he is no longer required at the club.
I actually cringed when he said…
‘Patrick has been told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn’t be considered for the team unless there was a crisis’
The bottom line is that our manager just isn’t a ‘decent’ bloke.

I’ve just listened to Lowe speaking about Patrick Bauer being told he is no longer required at the club.
Patrick has been told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn’t be considered for the team unless there was a crisis’
Harsh!

Was there really any reason to phrase it like this and then go on to say Bauer has been like a breath of fresh air?
He comes across as a really un genuine bloke.
Stop being nice.

He comes across as a complete and total bell whack.

Feels like he would be one of those mates that your always having to apologise for

‘Patrick has been told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn’t be considered for the team unless there was a crisis’

He said that ? Lowe has ideas above his station and if that's his attitude then he's a cunt. The real cunt however is his boss Ridsdale.

Bauer has done nothing other than to ask for his contract to be honoured and I don't blame him one bit for that.

Last edited:
Patrick has been told in no uncertain terms that he wouldn’t be considered for the team unless there was a crisis’

I’m not Lowe’s biggest fan but that’s not the exact quote in all fairness. He said:

“Yeah, Patrick has been fit and training, all season. Obviously, Patrick was told that, in no uncertain terms but in the nicest possible way, that we’ve got our squad, got the players and - barring any major injuries to the back lads - he wouldn’t be considered for the squad. He has travelled with us a few times and been in the squad, but we haven’t used him. He has been told he can look for a new club and move on, but he’s been a breath of fresh air.”

It’s no secret that the club have tried to move him on since summer. Bauer hasn’t gone for whatever reason. A number of folk have mentioned bonus’ that he’s due in his contract, which is fair enough. I’ve no issue with them being up front and saying ‘look you aren’t going to play as these guys are in front of you, if you can sort a move you can go’. Likewise, Bauer has a contract until the end of the season so if he wants to see it out then sound.