PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

The way forward.

Goalkeeper has stood up to be counted over the last month so while he's not perfect, dodgy on crosses and can drop the odd clanger, he's one of the better keepers in the division.

Defence is fine imo. I think someone may take a punt on SSL but even then Hart, Chilvers and Trotman will all be available for next season which wasn't the case for this season. Plus Davidson can hopefully manage 20 + games.

Strikers. Well the beast came on well, Brown was much better towards the end of the season so hopefully can sorted out his back trouble during the summer, Mellor is still infuringly inconsistant and Elliott has been a disappointment but offers a speedier option to the other three so I'd give him another 6 months.

Midfield. Dear oh dear. Case of too many players who aren't good enough or who have never been good enough. Nicholson, Carter, Whaley, Sedgewick, McKenna etc. Chaplow has had a poor last few months when playing but he'd walk back into the team no problem. Wallace is class and Williamson is worth a punt. Much better player needed on the right (whereas after the Leeds play off defeat it was a leftside player needed and that took 3 years!)

Sort the midfield out and I'm convinced the team isn't that far away from launching a top 2 bid given the dross that will probably be relegated from the prem but it's a case of will PNE push the boat out far enough?

I agree with most of this but think you are being too kind on strikers. We need more quality and I hope we look for 2 new strikers with pace who can pair up. I would use Parkin as an impact sub and keep Brown as 4th striker.

Mellor can go (poor attitude) as can Elliott (poor touch and not strong enough).

Having said this, I agree midfield has to be the priority. More pace, more power and more goals from central midfield needed.

I think Lonners will be sold in the summer, too many rumours not to be true about him leaving. An experienced keeper is a must if he leaves.

Big question marks over Callum Davidson and how effective we are without him for 20 games a season.
St Ledger may move on, I hope he gives us one more season.

Carter, Nicholson, Whalley are either not good enough or don't fit into our team formation and should be moved on.
Sedgwick should be a squad player at best.
Hopefully McKenna, Chaplow and Williamson will fight for the central midfield birth.

We need a pacy back up for Wallace.
A right sided midfielder is a must. With Mayor being back up if Voldemort is correct in how good he is.

Out of the forwards we have Parkin, Elliott and Brown have done enough.

Mellor doesn't seem to have the heart and Hawley doesn't have the skill, both should be shown the door, hopefully someone will take them.

We are short of pace in the squad and players who can change games.
We aren't far off though and a little tweaking could give us another good season.