PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Todays team selection

sliper

Patron
I can just about understand the logic of allowing the midfield that
finished against Saints.. I simply don't agree with it but I do sort
of understand the logic.

What I find totally inexplicable is that Simmo didn't give himself any
real alternative when it has been pretty clear for recent performances in this department he was going to need it. The obvious one would have been to put Hill in at left back and start Davidson in midfield a position he played well until he got injured.. or even just have Hill on the bench to give him this as an easy switch. Remember Sunderland away.. what a great result that appears now. But does Davidson go back to the position where he proved really effective certainly away from home.. no.. Simmo sadly just doesn't seem to see the problem or give himself any real alternative.

He has signed Ricketts, Soley, Pergyl and now Songo'o none of which
are a creative central midfielder or a good old fashioned Gregan style
midfield killer. I honestly can't believe he couldn't have found
someone somewhere by now even as a loan player.

The other obvious option was to have Nowland on the bench who could have been introduced.. but the only option he gave himself was to take off a midfielder and throw on a right winger. His treatment of Nowland is bordering on the perverse.. he can play 90 mins for the reserves without any problem but can't even make the first team as a sub when we are have a crisis in midfield. I am not saying he is the answer but surely he should have been an option.

If ever a game was crying out for Davidsons "thou shalt not pass"
qualities in mdfield this was it.

I afraid my confidence in Simmo's tactical ability is evaporating.
We are a one man team. Much as hate to say it, I've felt for a while now that BD's (spit) side has gradually been coming apart. Simmo seems unable to address the problem. I think Simpsons loyalty to tired, ineffective and out of form players is costing us our chance of promotion. After a long season and getting a lot right Simmo himself appears to be making the poor decisions of a mentally tired man.

Not one save from their goalkeeper in 90 mins in a must win game.. says it all. No real service to the strikers.. no real protection to the back four.