PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer gossip - Summer Window 2021

Parachute payments reward failure.

Simple as that really.
There's a simple solution to it all really, make it mandatory to have a relegation wage reduction in every single contract of at least 20% if they're signed on at above a certain amount. Might make sense to make every single player in the pyramid to have one too honestly.

I was just reading an article on Facebook….

Bolton have sold 9,700 season tickets
Wigan have sold 3,500 season tickets
Blackburn have sold 3,000 season tickets

Agree.

Id need to check the facts on this. But pretty certain this is right.

City winning the league get 220 million.
Sheffield United for finishing last get 180 million.

That in itself is a huge problem. Why clubs like West Ham can afford to stick price tags on their players of 100 million, cause they can afford to despite not winning anything for 40 years.

The whole league gets rewarded no matter where they finish. Then they can afford to demand astronomical money for their players cause they don’t need it being rewarded just for being in that division.

Not really North End related, so I wont go on, but thats my ten pence worth.
I didn’t realise just how warped all this has made these club owners etc. until that whole disgrace with the break away league earlier this year.

Some of the things that cretin from Madrid said were shameless. One of the things that will stick with me was something like ‘if we carry on as we are, how are we going to pay for the likes of Messi or Ronaldo’ - like some spoilt, rich child. So the answer clearly is pumping more money into it - not addressing the fact wages/fees/agents are just unsustainably high.

There's a simple solution to it all really, make it mandatory to have a relegation wage reduction in every single contract of at least 20% if they're signed on at above a certain amount. Might make sense to make every single player in the pyramid to have one too honestly.
Playing Devil's advocate. If PNE get promoted to the Premiership and they want to sign Premiership level players and contracts say you will see a major wage reduction if North End get relegated. Will any decent players want to sign for us? We'd be as good as relegated before the season starts.
That is why I expect parachute payments exist. I don't have an answer as to how to stop relegated teams having a big advantage but promoted teams to the Premiership need to have a chance of staying up.

It wasn’t stated as a reason not to extend his contract. He was one of the 4 players I have stated that we should be negotiating with. Pretty daft to misinterpret IMO.
Not sure what point there is to (mis)interpret then. If we want a cheap bench, then we could fill the bench with Hudson, O'Reilly, Baxter, Walker, etc. But you wouldn't see any of them changing the game. It's normal for a Championship club to have Championship players on the bench whilst paying them Championship wages. Because you need Championship standard options on the bench.
I am not bothered how much he is paid. Why should I be.To repeat, I have advocated that he should get a new contract. I am merely pointing out that he is frequently not in the starting eleven.
17/18 - 46 league appearances (most in the squad)
18/19 - 34 league appearances
19/20 - 44 league appearances
20/21 - 45 league appearances (most in the squad)

This is a 150k signing from Morecambe. Personally I wouldn't be worried about getting value for money out of Barky.

I don’t know , but the info was posted by a Bolton fan who seemed to think that Blackburn had shot themselves in the foot by charging far too much..
Yeah I spoke to a rovers fan yesterday and they’re now charging around £500 apparently. No new shirt and no new signings yet. Think their plans are reliant on selling Armstrong.

I’ve got a feeling that Bolton are on a roll, they will probably get 14,000 at least every home game…..

I can see them being there or thereabouts unfortunately…..

Playing Devil's advocate. If PNE get promoted to the Premiership and they want to sign Premiership level players and contracts say you will see a major wage reduction if North End get relegated. Will any decent players want to sign for us? We'd be as good as relegated before the season starts.
That is why I expect parachute payments exist. I don't have an answer as to how to stop relegated teams having a big advantage but promoted teams to the Premiership need to have a chance of staying up.
I'm talking about a forced wage relegation reduction similar to how the Spanish clubs are forced to have a release fee, if any player coming into the Prem wants to play here, they have to have it in their contract regardless, could be Mbappe signing for Chelsea or it could be some non-league hot prospect signing for Brighton. I reckon you'll still see the same level of players wanting to chance it and try to impress for a team like ourselves to move to higher things if it works out.

I'm talking about a forced wage relegation reduction similar to how the Spanish clubs are forced to have a release fee, if any player coming into the Prem wants to play here, they have to have it in their contract regardless, could be Mbappe signing for Chelsea or it could be some non-league hot prospect signing for Brighton. I reckon you'll still see the same level of players wanting to chance it and try to impress for a team like ourselves to move to higher things if it works out.
Equally, they'd also expect a similar percentage wage increase for promotion to be included.

I think we'd all agree that the money in football nowadays is insane but it's driven by the players demanding high wages and clubs demanding high transfer fees. It's a vicious cycle.

Money is a big factor nowadays and, frankly, we don't have any. We can't compete in the middle of this league, let alone in the Premier League. It doesn't guarantee success but without it, as we are, you're reliant on a great season like Burnley (and sadly Blackpool) had to go up and how many of those have we seen over the past few years?

It's becoming more difficult even to hope for an outstanding season because the teams from the PL are so strong and have money to throw around.

Equally, they'd also expect a similar percentage wage increase for promotion to be included.

I think we'd all agree that the money in football nowadays is insane but it's driven by the players demanding high wages and clubs demanding high transfer fees. It's a vicious cycle.

Money is a big factor nowadays and, frankly, we don't have any. We can't compete in the middle of this league, let alone in the Premier League. It doesn't guarantee success but without it, as we are, you're reliant on a great season like Burnley (and sadly Blackpool) had to go up and how many of those have we seen over the past few years?

It's becoming more difficult even to hope for an outstanding season because the teams from the PL are so strong and have money to throw around.
Would be sense too, once you reach the financial bliss of the Prem again, it's only right to give them back what they were on before. Totally agree on everything else said too. It is nigh on impossible for us to do it and genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see us have 10-15 years of straight monotony Championship football.

Yeah I spoke to a rovers fan yesterday and they’re now charging around £500 apparently. No new shirt and no new signings yet. Think their plans are reliant on selling Armstrong.
When they announced their prices they were very similar to our price structure in nearly all categories. From memory it was a bit less for a young adult category ticket.

How many gave we sold?

Does rovers 3,000 just include paying tickets only?

Would be sense too, once you reach the financial bliss of the Prem again, it's only right to give them back what they were on before. Totally agree on everything else said too. It is nigh on impossible for us to do it and genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see us have 10-15 years of straight monotony Championship football.
I can see your definitely an optimist ,

Well good luck selling Armstrong and relying on that money. He has a 40% sell on clause

That's appalling. Reason alone to sack the manager and get rid of the Venkys.

It would be interesting to see a list of season ticket sales for the Championship and League One, Bolton were on the Abyss and have bounced back, I wonder if Derby and Sheffield Wednesday fans are buying or deserting them, or Swansea.
Also an indication to the clubs finances for the coming season with money still tight and varying financial dynamics going on at certain clubs.

For all the speculation on here there is still very little transfer activity, what there is involves mainly free transfers, it’s very much a buyers market, so deals are likely to happen right at the end of the window I think, couldstill be a lot of action to come.

Funny that I spoke to my Rovers supporting mate yesterday and he said the same thing.

He said the worry is they sell Armstrong at the end of the window and will fail to replace him. Jerry Yates has signed a new contract, how many other targets will either move on or be offered better terms to stay.

There’s a genuine concern that without the goals of Armstrong and the creativity of Harvey Elliott, under Mowbray they could really struggle this season.

Funny that I spoke to my Rovers supporting mate yesterday and he said the same thing.

He said the worry is they sell Armstrong at the end of the window and will fail to replace him. Jerry Yates has signed a new contract, how many other targets will either move on or be offered better terms to stay.

There’s a genuine concern that without the goals of Armstrong and the creativity of Harvey Elliott, under Mowbray they could really struggle this season.
I am a bit surprised that Yates has signed a new 3 year contract at Blackpool, I thought that he might have chased the dollars and gone and signed for a bigger club on the back of his best ever season…