PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Who's looking after Penwortham?

It’s definately a while since you’ve been there. It’s over 5 years since the community center was bulldozed!😄

It’s now expensive posh flats.
Ah, the old St Mary's Church hall. Got it.

Yes it's now a hot-bed of after-hours retirement activity.

I don't read them as some subliminal rise of the ayran race message but they're as you say a symbol on the stoneworks, it's probs just some sort of pattern but striking when you see them 👍🏻
The Nazis hijacked the swastika and rotated the imagery by 45* to then claim it as their own.

In Hinduism, it has peaceful connotations. It is also used in other religions, countries, etc.

Two very interesting reads with equally interesting imagery dating back thousands of years.

The Nazis hijacked the swastika and rotated the imagery by 45* to then claim it as their own.

In Hinduism, it has peaceful connotations. It is also used in other religions, countries, etc.

Two very interesting reads with equally interesting imagery dating back thousands of years.

I wish I'd thought to do this! You've added to my knowledge @Jack Daniels .

As a schoolboy in the very early 1970s I saw a piece about the history of the symbol in "Man, Myth and Magic" magazine, and it piqued my interest. I did a historic buildings course 10 years ago and it cropped up in my reading around that. Since Covid started I've read a lot of history books, particularly from the Roman to the Norman period, and it's popped up there too.

I'm staggered that they've found an artefact from 12,000 years ago with it on. Fascinating.

Just for clarification. The side discussion on the origins of the swastica is very interesting.

However. I’d like to point out, Penwortham has never been part of the Third Reich!

Just for clarification. The side discussion on the origins of the swastica is very interesting.

However. I’d like to point out, Penwortham has never been part of the Third Reich!

I bet you £100,000 (Monopoly money mods, monopoly money) that a bierkeller opens there in the next 12 months 🤣

Although the Tuesday afternoon Bridge club on Priory Lane are quite scary. They protect that car park with an iron rod.

So if I joked about a flag in a Hindus mums attic……….

Soz couldn’t resist 😁

Will have to do that.

I know swastikas are ancient symbols from Hinduism. I think they were (still are?) used in loads of different religions, so wonder if there's some religious link with that church.
Hitler reversed the symbol.
Indian Postage Stamps still show the Hindu.

Quoting from a tourists guide"A Visitor's Guide to The Yorkshire Dales (inc) Teesdale & Weardale"
"Visitors to Ilkley can hardly avoid seeing the distinctive mass of the Cow and Calf rocks.
Behind them the Moor is rich in the CARVED STONES of our prehistoric ancestors who have left not only their Cairns and Circles but enigmatically carved 'Cup-and-Ring' and
'SWASTIKA' stones......." " A walk from the C.
& C. along the edge of the Moor will take in all these features"
Grid Ref. SE 090 469

First night of Penwortham Live, last night. All venues packed.

A band called Doug Perkins and the Spectaculars were on at the Sir Tom Finney.
Really decent band. The lead guitarist was off the scale, amazing performance.

Looking forward to seen what tonight brings.

Rammed tonight too.

Sun + beer = good news for the bar owners.

Had them play at my wedding in 2014. Top set of lads.

Another cracking night. A guy called Si Roberts was doing covers of Pink Floyd.

His guitar playing was excellent. “Shine on you crazy diamond” was brilliant.

Speaking of Penwortham.. In todays rag it states that srbc are charging something like £50 a go to "stress test" lampposts to ensure that bunting does not cause them to topple.... Ffs....