PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

City Centre Investment

Agreed, though I am not surprised.

The council always seems to want to talk a good game on being a City and big pushes on development, but their actions seem like that of a timid small town sometimes.

Such a lack of ambition and drive.

https://www.lep.co.uk/business/cons...ake-way-for-11-storey-apartment-block-3621594

Not the most ambitious design but at least it gets rid of the eyesore of another abandoned building.

That area around Bishopsgate Gardens, Bus Station and Markets is getting a right makeover, not to forget the Exchange project on the other side of the Bus Station.

Has anyone heard any more on the tower earmarked for Church Row? Would have thought they'd have started that by now, hope it's not another that's fallen off the face of the earth, really liked that design.

Still can't believe there is so much unused land on the back of Church Street adjoining Queens Retail Park, has to be something in the pipeline there.

1647957353431.png

https://www.lep.co.uk/business/cons...ake-way-for-11-storey-apartment-block-3621594

Not the most ambitious design but at least it gets rid of the eyesore of another abandoned building.

That area around Bishopsgate Gardens, Bus Station and Markets is getting a right makeover, not to forget the Exchange project on the other side of the Bus Station.

Has anyone heard any more on the tower earmarked for Church Row? Would have thought they'd have started that by now, hope it's not another that's fallen off the face of the earth, really liked that design.

Still can't believe there is so much unused land on the back of Church Street adjoining Queens Retail Park, has to be something in the pipeline there.

View attachment 6898
I was only saying the other week that it wouldn't be long before a block of flats went on that site as it had been underused for years. Looks okay in the pictures and better than what's currently there. The town centre is changing and in 20 years there'll be tens of thousands of these flats. Not for me, but if I was in my early 20s then I'd have been interested in one, maybe not one overlooking the bus station though.

I was only saying the other week that it wouldn't be long before a block of flats went on that site as it had been underused for years. Looks okay in the pictures and better than what's currently there. The town centre is changing and in 20 years there'll be tens of thousands of these flats. Not for me, but if I was in my early 20s then I'd have been interested in one, maybe not one overlooking the bus station though.
Think the Bus Station could do with a new lease of life too.

Wonder if it’s feasible to stick bars/eateries along the side that’s now no longer functioning as part of the bus station?

I’m sure the building already has the the footfall and would be a focal point for the new tenants of this project and Bishopgate Gardens.

A unit on the bus station would be a great place to have a real ale bar. However, the likelihood is that the rents charged on them would make it a non-starter for most businesses. 10 years time however, when the thousands of flats being built are occupied then it might happen.

Anything more on the trams? Feels like these developments are pointless without new businesses and links to wider Preston
Never seems to get anywhere with the trams. Every few months it pops up again that the tester line to Ribbeton/Bluebell Way will be up and running and the nothing.

You're right though, they do need setting up to help transport links across Greater Preston. The track for the Ribble Steam Railway line is wasted in my opinion, that would be perfect for a tram line going via the docks to Lea. Same again with the Miley Tunnel, so much potential for routes around the city.

Think they've missed a trick with the Penwortham Cycle Superhighway, that widening of Fishergate Hill, Penwortham Brow and Liverpool road would have been perfect to send a tram down, linking it to the cross at Strand Road and then into the station.

I agree that this development is needed, especially with the railway station itself but IMO, the Guild Hall and the live music/comedy scene are more pressing concerns.
Good point. The Guild Hall is massively under-utilised, been pretty much ran into the ground.

Absolutely shite that other similar sized cities get decent bands and acts on and we don’t.

Good point. The Guild Hall is massively under-utilised, been pretty much ran into the ground.

Absolutely shite that other similar sized cities get decent bands and acts on and we don’t.

From what I can gather, the Guild Hall is a mess structurally caused by water damage that gets worse every time it rains heavily. A friend was telling me her daughter's dance troop is one of the few organisations still using the Guild Hall (alongside parts of the Harris who have vacated the museum following its closure for redevelopment) and last month they arrived yet again to a studio under 2 inches of water. It's become an increasingly bigger problem over the last 20 years or so as like the bus station, it was built to last 30 years tops and we know how much it cost to repair the bus station!

Simon Rigby just ignored it when he was in charge despite numerous 'before you start on the next new unit how about fixing...' warnings from his project managers and now the whole place is stuck the in the utter mess that is Rigby's estate (along with a lot of Church Street inc the old cinema). There were signs that things were beginning to move when Lancashire Business Expo 2022 was held there on Friday but it seems this could have been a one off.

Whilst the Church Street & Railway 'Quarter' plans look good the worrying thing for me is how slowly the Market and Harris developments are moving. We've recently had a 4th set of Market Development PtII plans submitted to PCC and like the previous two sets, they're a significant downgrade. Meanwhile the market is about to lose another (original) stallholder as Brew + Bake move elsewhere. Rent and being constantly in the shade of the building site which they were told would be completed by early 2019 have been cited as factors.

The Harris Museum shut in October for 3 years of development and refurbishment work. However nearly 6 months later virtually nothing has been done with PCC only announcing the principle contractor in February. A large slice of the £20m Town's Fund award is going towards the Harris and Market projects but 10 months after the award, barely a penny has been spent whilst the 'Town's Fund Committee' led by John Chesworth, haven't met since August.

Interesting to see that during all this Deputy Leader of PCC Peter Moss resigning the whip to run as an independent at the local elections in May.

From what I can gather, the Guild Hall is a mess structurally caused by water damage that gets worse every time it rains heavily. A friend was telling me her daughter's dance troop is one of the few organisations still using the Guild Hall (alongside parts of the Harris who have vacated the museum following its closure for redevelopment) and last month they arrived yet again to a studio under 2 inches of water. It's become an increasingly bigger problem over the last 20 years or so as like the bus station, it was built to last 30 years tops and we know how much it cost to repair the bus station!

Simon Rigby just ignored it when he was in charge despite numerous 'before you start on the next new unit how about fixing...' warnings from his project managers and now the whole place is stuck the in the utter mess that is Rigby's estate (along with a lot of Church Street inc the old cinema). There were signs that things were beginning to move when Lancashire Business Expo 2022 was held there on Friday but it seems this could have been a one off.

Whilst the Church Street & Railway 'Quarter' plans look good the worrying thing for me is how slowly the Market and Harris developments are moving. We've recently had a 4th set of Market Development PtII plans submitted to PCC and like the previous two sets, they're a significant downgrade. Meanwhile the market is about to lose another (original) stallholder as Brew + Bake move elsewhere. Rent and being constantly in the shade of the building site which they were told would be completed by early 2019 have been cited as factors.

The Harris Museum shut in October for 3 years of development and refurbishment work. However nearly 6 months later virtually nothing has been done with PCC only announcing the principle contractor in February. A large slice of the £20m Town's Fund award is going towards the Harris and Market projects but 10 months after the award, barely a penny has been spent whilst the 'Town's Fund Committee' led by John Chesworth, haven't met since August.

Interesting to see that during all this Deputy Leader of PCC Peter Moss resigning the whip to run as an independent at the local elections in May.
Wow, didn’t know any of that about the Guild Hall. But I was at the Lancashire Business Expo on Friday and I must say the whole building looked tired, worn and dated.

Such a shame it’s ended up like this. There’s no shops either like there used to be, only Review and Mr Lams restaurants at the front. Is Level still going at the back? Either way it’s still a shadow of what it was.

That’s disappointing with Brew and Bake, was only there at the weekend and was saying to our peg how nice it is to see the market thriving and two coffee shops next to each other packed out.

Will the Animate project next door resolve some of these issues? I know that’s in for approval on Thursday, isn’t it? Surely they will help pick that area up and fill the eyesore that is where the indoor market used to be.

Sadly very true. The refusal of the new and improved Lofthaus confirmed that.
Only one of many examples.

I had occasion to address the council once while doing a project for work. Whilst awaiting my time to speak, I was observing the councillors. Boy-oh-boy, what an eye opener. Half of them looked like they were asleep (before I spoke), the rest of them were very distracted with other very important issues like, now then, which sweet shall I choose? Will it be a sherbet or a Wherthers?

I have never been so disillusioned in my life. It comes as no surprise that the "cock-up" that was the market, is struggling to keep stall holders.

I find the whole thing depressing. As a proud Prestonian, I just wish someone of vision could be found to really make Preston a recognisable CITY. Of course it is a City, but I'm really sorry to say, in name only. I take no pride in saying that.

Incidentally, if this possible take over of PNE takes place and we succeed in getting to the premier league, that could have a positive impact on the local economy. Fingers crossed.