PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2024 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've gone from one of the best in the summer to one of the worst. What a contrast.

Well done Peter!
Aye we where all thinking could something good happen in this Window Been pure dead regarding Transfers news. When you keep looking at other clubs doing good business every other day etc.

#ThankYouPeter

Not this time. I'm no fan of Ridsdale but one this was all down to Covid cancelling all youth team football with no guarantee when it would restart, so Trevor Hemmings wouldn't sanction any new professional contracts that year. Bit of a freak situation.

His deal is up in the Summer (with an option) so this is probably just his agent being busy anyway.

Damned if we do damned if we don't.

Don't renew or sell him or give him the money he wants either way the Dreyfuss stick to beat the club would be out.

What would be your ideal resolution in this scenario?
I dunno about you Ron but I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of having Storey, Lindsay, Hughes as our first choice backline. And Browne, Whiteman, McCann, Ledson as four key midfield options. And Potts and Brady as wingbacks.

But right now that's what we have. And by the looks of it'll be the same next season too. And maybe the season after that if we carry on like we are.

My ideal scenario would have been a total change of direction in terms of recruitment, so we don't keep persisting with crafting one of the oldest squads in the division.

I'm not particularly assed if Brown stays or leaves. That's not a stick to beat the club with. It's my honest opinion.

If we had a load of saleable assets then giving Browne a million a year for X amount of years would be more palatable to me.

But we don't - we have about five saleable assets and none of them have exactly pulled up trees this season. I don't think we could even get back what we paid for Osmajić or Mads right now.

Whilst you look at Plymouth with Whittaker on 15 goals, turning down an big offer from Lazio for a guy they paid £1m six months ago.

So we have to use our meagre resources better or every fucking season we will be talking about FFP.

Out recruitment and playing style has just not been joined up thinking. We're building a retirement home. Not a progressive football club. Maybe a 70+ year old would be happy with that. But I'm not.

Not this time. I'm no fan of Ridsdale but one this was all down to Covid cancelling all youth team football with no guarantee when it would restart, so Trevor Hemmings wouldn't sanction any new professional contracts that year. Bit of a freak situation.

His deal is up in the Summer (with an option) so this is probably just his agent being busy anyway.

Behave yourself.

Any small, tiny reason to slander Riddler is allowed!

We are dreadful at handling players contracts and transfers. Is it just us or do other clubs have as much arseing about as we do. I know our owners think it is still 1967 and that our man running the club has the mindset of a victorian Yorkshire mill owner but it is becoming an embarrassment supporting North End with all this and the dross our brain dead manager calls football.

He's also not that good. Never been impressed with him. Surprised Luton would be interested. I fully expect Dolan to ease downwards.

Imagine having actual incoming transfers to be excited/intrigued about...

Reactions: OB1
”If you think it’s bad now, just remember how bad it used to be ? “ ……… Total apathy ! …… The deepdale faithful deserve better.

I prefer shambolic to apathy. Getting relegated at least makes headlines. Right now the club is going absolutely nowhere, it may as well not exist - it is non-existent in the minds of most anyway. At least a complete basket case of a club can bring upon hope from within. Bournemouth, Brighton, Wigan, Swansea, Luton - next will be Portsmouth, Wrexham, etc

News to me - I agree it would have been a freak scenario and am certainly not ruling it out as the truth, but didn't Ridsdale suggest at a fans' forum last season that the reason Dolan didn't get a deal was down to Alex Neil?

News to me - I agree it would have been a freak scenario and am certainly not ruling it out as the truth, but didn't Ridsdale suggest at a fans' forum last season that the reason Dolan didn't get a deal was down to Alex Neil?

If Dolan was viewed as an exceptional talent then I'd guess AN could have made a claim for him to stay and get a deal done, but he didn't pull up any trees on loan at Clitheroe and would have been our sixth choice number 10 anyway...

If Brownie moves to Italy and we bring a quality right wing back in, we’d then have Pottsy as an attacking central midfielder and cover on the right, I’d be happy, however if he goes or doesn’t resign and we don’t bring in a RB who can get forward and cross or a RWB, I’m gonna be proper grumpy

If Brownie moves to Italy and we bring a quality right wing back in, we’d then have Pottsy as an attacking central midfielder and cover on the right, I’d be happy, however if he goes or doesn’t resign and we don’t bring in a RB who can get forward and cross or a RWB, I’m gonna be proper grumpy
Prepare to be grumpy.

I dunno about you Ron but I'm not exactly thrilled at the idea of having Storey, Lindsay, Hughes as our first choice backline. And Browne, Whiteman, McCann, Ledson as four key midfield options. And Potts and Brady as wingbacks.

But right now that's what we have. And by the looks of it'll be the same next season too. And maybe the season after that if we carry on like we are.

My ideal scenario would have been a total change of direction in terms of recruitment, so we don't keep persisting with crafting one of the oldest squads in the division.

I'm not particularly assed if Brown stays or leaves. That's not a stick to beat the club with. It's my honest opinion.

If we had a load of saleable assets then giving Browne a million a year for X amount of years would be more palatable to me.

But we don't - we have about five saleable assets and none of them have exactly pulled up trees this season. I don't think we could even get back what we paid for Osmajić or Mads right now.

Whilst you look at Plymouth with Whittaker on 15 goals, turning down an big offer from Lazio for a guy they paid £1m six months ago.

So we have to use our meagre resources better or every fucking season we will be talking about FFP.

Out recruitment and playing style has just not been joined up thinking. We're building a retirement home. Not a progressive football club. Maybe a 70+ year old would be happy with that. But I'm not.

That backline sends shudders down my spine, only Lindsay I would say has any glory from this season (not saying much) as Hughes is made of glass and Storey's style/season was summed up with his hilarious moment on Saturday at Millwall, I actually laughed out loud at it.

No issues with Whiteman, McCann and Browne if we add Holmes and Frokjaer in there, but Ledson is just diabolical and a disgraceful renewal but it's happened.

Potts is a bit meh at wingback, although he was very good against Millwall, Brady I think has done well recently however both I would want upgrading for the wingback slots if we were to push on.

I can completely understand your stance on Browne, sometimes the 400 appearances and Beluga song can cloud the judgement, especially if he is demanding more and more money. We made him our highest ever earner and he returned 3 seasons of muchness and no outside interest in him, which you would expect for that sort of pay, Robinson/Riis etc.

The Whittaker scenario I can agree with however I would argue he is the exemption not the rule, pretty rare that a player is allowed to leave and then his value goes up 15 times in 6 months, I mean imagine being in Swansea's position, but lets not forget we signed Mads for more than they signed Whittaker in Summer. Mads seen as wanted by other clubs, foreign and young. I did put it on here we should have been looking at Whittaker but other posters eluded to that with him being at Plymouth etc a deal was never going to be possible.

Personally I can see changes happening at North End with the recruitment etc, not wholesale but certainly better than what we have had served up previously. Signing the likes of Whatmough, Holmes, Keane, Osmijic, Mads, Stewart etc certainly signalled a change from signing the likes of Evans, Brown, Olusunde, Thomas and Wickham.

We've also seen a bit more youth integration in the squad compared to recent seasons, not something to write home about and we should certainly be upgrading academy's etc but it's a change from old strategies.

I might be a fool for thinking this and maybe it is the optimist in me but I think we will be upgrading certain areas in our defence in summer, with some actual investment.

Whether that be under a new manager or not will remain to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.