PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan Browne - 400

Browne has had a decent season & has firmly cemented himself as a PNE Legend. Buit personally I wouldnt be asking for heads to roll if he does leave at the end of the season. I've always thought that he'd be lucky to get a renewal of contract on the same money & length of his current one. We have a pretty decent recent record of letting our star players leave at the right time (i.e. when they are on a downward spiral) - DJ & Pearo - Currently struggling to hold down a place in a lower Championship team - Barky - League One - Robinson - See Pearo & DJ - Hugill - Not a regular starter for a relegated Championship team. Not exactly pulled up any trees have they? And I'd be pleasantly surprised if Browne goes on to hold a regular place down at anyone significantly higher than us. I wouldnt, however, begrudge him the obvious financial benefit. He deserves it. The world would still continue to spin, we would move on & his wage would be freed up to bring in some fresh blood. The miss of his leadership skills as captain would not exactly be the end of the world
If your starting midfield next season was Whiteman McCann and Mads would he naturally fit in?🤷🏻‍♂️ or would people be happy to drop Mads to account him?

true..... thats exactly why Whiteman left last summer as he wouldn't play under Lowe again .

Whiteman has been a fuckin liability this season, about as much use as Woodburn and on probably twice as much, let's hope that because he now has an extended contract his sale value will have increased.

Browne has been immense this season, and I'd love for him to sign on again based off how good he's been this season. However, the last few seasons before this one, he was not performing head and shoulders above the rest of the team to warrant his wage being the top earner. So it doesn't surprise me if at present, the club have offered him less than his current wage. After this season he's had, I'd offer him the same as what he's on now, but before that, I'd have said less is fair.

Also the same thing was said last season about how on earth are we going to replace someone of DJs quality for free. We replaced him with Mads, not for free. Not sure why this notion has come about again with Browne. Especially when the club have said it'll be the first COVID free season in regards to the PSR books.

I personally don't consider anyone we have as irreplaceable. We don't have a single player who would comfortably walk into a Leicester, Leeds or Southampton starting lineup. Never mind being a PL starter. That's when I'd start to maybe consider someone as irreplaceable.

Browne has been immense this season, and I'd love for him to sign on again based off how good he's been this season. However, the last few seasons before this one, he was not performing head and shoulders above the rest of the team to warrant his wage being the top earner. So it doesn't surprise me if at present, the club have offered him less than his current wage. After this season he's had, I'd offer him the same as what he's on now, but before that, I'd have said less is fair.

Also the same thing was said last season about how on earth are we going to replace someone of DJs quality for free. We replaced him with Mads, not for free. Not sure why this notion has come about again with Browne. Especially when the club have said it'll be the first COVID free season in regards to the PSR books.

I personally don't consider anyone we have as irreplaceable. We don't have a single player who would comfortably walk into a Leicester, Leeds or Southampton starting lineup. Never mind being a PL starter. That's when I'd start to maybe consider someone as irreplaceable.

I don't think you can compare DJ and Browne. DJ as has been shown at Stoke was done as a player at this level. The work rate simply isn't there anymore with him and hadn't been for the last twelve months with us. Browne is not only playing very well and just turned 29, he's a really integral part of the dressing room. It's not about how much he wants it's about how much he'd cost to replace.

Still clinging on to a faint hope that he has signed a new contract but it’s looking ominous. We’re simply not going to replace his experience or quality. If he’s had an offer we can’t match then fair enough but if it’s within our means the club need to get it done.

I don't think you can compare DJ and Browne. DJ as has been shown at Stoke was done as a player at this level. The work rate simply isn't there anymore with him and hadn't been for the last twelve months with us. Browne is not only playing very well and just turned 29, he's a really integral part of the dressing room. It's not about how much he wants it's about how much he'd cost to replace.
But my point is, people were saying the exact same about DJ as they are now with this Browne situation. How are we going to find someone with that final 3rd quality of DJ on a shoestring budget. We arguably found someone with much better final 3rd quality.

I also wouldn't be against running a midfield of Mads, Whiteman and McCann, if it means the wage freed up from Browne, can help towards improving the starting 11 in terms of the back line/the wide positions as I think that'd be more important. Instead of looking for a direct starting 11 replacement. Obviously would still need a midfielder addition too for depth, but I mean in terms of where the money is more distributed to in order to improve this starting 11.

I know it's not a popular opinion, and yes I do agree that he'd likely be a big miss in terms of the dressing room, I just don't think it's an end of the world moment like it's coming across from some (exaggerating that, but only slightly)

Browne can do better than PNE, bollocks to sentiment. Same as McKenna, he left after many wasted years here and won promotion to the Prem within two seasons.

But my point is, people were saying the exact same about DJ as they are now with this Browne situation. How are we going to find someone with that final 3rd quality of DJ on a shoestring budget. We arguably found someone with much better final 3rd quality.

I also wouldn't be against running a midfield of Mads, Whiteman and McCann, if it means the wage freed up from Browne, can help towards improving the starting 11 in terms of the back line/the wide positions as I think that'd be more important. Instead of looking for a direct starting 11 replacement. Obviously would still need a midfielder addition too for depth, but I mean in terms of where the money is more distributed to in order to improve this starting 11.

I know it's not a popular opinion, and yes I do agree that he'd likely be a big miss in terms of the dressing room, I just don't think it's an end of the world moment like it's coming across from some (exaggerating that, but only slightly)
The problem with this is McCann is often injured as Whiteman has been this year. You therefore are reliant on Ledson and the AN Other you mention bringing in. Are you therefore advocating that we water down the quality of our midfield?