PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Budget 2023

Some interesting rumours already at either ends of the spectrum. I imagine most are more keen on the support for cost of living like energy bills, fuel and childcare etc.

There are some interesting proposals in there. What caught my eye, as someone who retired in my 50s because the pension cap was about to smack me in the face, is the decision to finally acknowledge that the pension cap is too low and that it encourages people to retire early. Whether the changes will be enough to encourage early retirees back to work is debateable, but it might keep plenty in work. In my case it probably wouldn't have had any impact; the pension cap was a good excuse to put my feet up and do the square root of fuck all. :)

There are some interesting proposals in there. What caught my eye, as someone who retired in my 50s because the pension cap was about to smack me in the face, is the decision to finally acknowledge that the pension cap is too low and that it encourages people to retire early. Whether the changes will be enough to encourage early retirees back to work is debateable, but it might keep plenty in work. In my case it probably wouldn't have had any impact; the pension cap was a good excuse to put my feet up and do the square root of fuck all. :)

It's basically backtracking an earlier decision for the LTA I guess realising what they've caused to happen. Yet again short term views/pacifying that probably brought in very little actual tax revenue vs the hole in the finances that have been caused by the subsequent back pedalling and back filling that has been necessitated.

Ironically the other pension measure in increasing the Annual Allowance at the same time may actually counteract the concept of people staying in work as it effectively allows people to potentially bring forward retirement. Again only going to impact the small percentage of people who can utilise the allowance in the first place.

That said I imagine they still have a stick lined up to remove the relief or at least make it basic rate across the board to simplify at some poiint in the future, and probably increasing the Pension age to also force that longer working career.

But will have to see how much truth the rumours actually have

It's basically backtracking an earlier decision for the LTA I guess realising what they've caused to happen. Yet again short term views/pacifying that probably brought in very little actual tax revenue vs the hole in the finances that have been caused by the subsequent back pedalling and back filling that has been necessitated.

Ironically the other pension measure in increasing the Annual Allowance at the same time may actually counteract the concept of people staying in work as it effectively allows people to potentially bring forward retirement. Again only going to impact the small percentage of people who can utilise the allowance in the first place.

That said I imagine they still have a stick lined up to remove the relief or at least make it basic rate across the board to simplify at some poiint in the future, and probably increasing the Pension age to also force that longer working career.

But will have to see how much truth the rumours actually have
They were told that reducing the LTA would have exactly these consequences as they merrily chopped the allowance year on year. Odd that the advice of those who understood this stuff was completely ignored. Having to change tack to clean up the shit show they created isn't a good look

Abolishing, or at least significantly upping the LTA is a wise move, as is getting rid of the ludicrous restrictions on higher earners saving for their pension.

Taxing the life out of people simply encourages them to either pack up and retire or go live somewhere where they are not taxed so highly. Its basic common sense , but is has needed a crisis in the health service with hospital consultants retiring as quickly as they can, and just about every GP working 4 days a week because they pay too much tax if they work the fifth day to bring this message home. There are plenty of other people like that but not as high profile as your GP.

One of the reasons why this conservative government will deservedly get trounced at the next election is that they have not been very conservative. We have the highest tax burden in living memory and they have spent the past 12 years looking at ways to further piss off the country's 'best customers' for tax - just shrinks the economy and reduces the tax take.

I was hopeful that they would apply similar logic to the corporation tax rate - at least a plan to reduce it back to 19% over a reasonably short period - but doesnt seem to be a sniff.

Retired from teaching last November, personally. Now working in Motor insurance, nice office, no stress, enjoying life.

Let this be your final warning love
Back to my financial advisor and pensions expert Jake :)............... May I ask you a simple question?............... If I had a hundred grand in a pension and a ridiculous tax quote to cash it in would I now be better off?

Back to my financial advisor and pensions expert Jake :)............... May I ask you a simple question?............... If I had a hundred grand in a pension and a ridiculous tax quote to cash it in would I now be better off?

This isn’t financial advice as I’m guessing and filling in gaps but on paper the issue is you get 25% tax free then the rest is taxed at your normal rate of tax.

So if you are still working you’d basically be taking £25k tax free and then £75k+”whatever you earned this tax year” as your annual salary so you’d be earning £100k+ which means you’d be getting taxed at 40% and losing your personal allowance. Which I assume is why the tax bill would be so high.

If you took it as an example at £10k a year then you’d get £2.5k each year and then £7.5k taxed on top of your salary.

Or if you stopped work completely I think it’s about £16k a year that you can claim and pay no tax I.E £4K is the 25% tax free and £12k is your personal allowance

If that all makes sense.

But I imagine taking the entire £100k in a single swoop whilst still working would be a very bad move sadly

(Again this is all presumption that it’s the only pot etc, if there are other pensions then it may change stuff sorry)

And just to caveat you are just about at the end of the tax year so even splitting some money either side of that date would make more sense than taking a single hit from a pure tax perspective

I.E taking £50k at end of March and same mid-April would still give you £25k tax free but the amount added to your tax year earnings would mean you’d add £37.5k to this tax year and £37.5k to next year so you’d still pay 40% on some, just not as much as if you took it in a single tax year

Don’t do that either though!

This isn’t financial advice as I’m guessing and filling in gaps but on paper the issue is you get 25% tax free then the rest is taxed at your normal rate of tax.

So if you are still working you’d basically be taking £25k tax free and then £75k+”whatever you earned this tax year” as your annual salary so you’d be earning £100k+ which means you’d be getting taxed at 40% and losing your personal allowance. Which I assume is why the tax bill would be so high.

If you took it as an example at £10k a year then you’d get £2.5k each year and then £7.5k taxed on top of your salary.

Or if you stopped work completely I think it’s about £16k a year that you can claim and pay no tax I.E £4K is the 25% tax free and £12k is your personal allowance

If that all makes sense.

But I imagine taking the entire £100k in a single swoop whilst still working would be a very bad move sadly

(Again this is all presumption that it’s the only pot etc, if there are other pensions then it may change stuff sorry)

It does and I used 100k for simplicity ( for me ).......... The major thing that gnaws away at me is that I have at least another 7 years to work and if I became ill and snuffed it suddenly then the wife/family would get next to nothing so I'd rather have it in my bank account even at a stupid rate of tax ( which I didn't pay in the first place to be fair )

They seem to have us all ends up and it seems to be one hell of a gamble. Sorry for the daft questions but you've read it right and I know and understand absolutely fuck all about pensions as you may have realised by now. :)

And just to caveat you are just about at the end of the tax year so even splitting some money either side of that date would make more sense than taking a single hit from a pure tax perspective

I.E taking £50k at end of March and same mid-April would still give you £25k tax free but the amount added to your tax year earnings would mean you’d add £37.5k to this tax year and £37.5k to next year so you’d still pay 40% on some, just not as much as if you took it in a single tax year

:D

It does and I used 100k for simplicity ( for me ).......... The major thing that gnaws away at me is that I have at least another 7 years to work and if I became ill and snuffed it suddenly then the wife/family would get next to nothing so I'd rather have it in my bank account even at a stupid rate of tax ( which I didn't pay in the first place to be fair )

They seem to have us all ends up and it seems to be one hell of a gamble. Sorry for the daft questions but you've read it right and I know and understand absolutely fuck all about pensions as you may have realised by now. :)
Your pension pot will, in most circumstances, pass to your wife free of all tax if you snuff it before age 75. As Jake said, you would be mad to cash your 100 grand in. Use a bit of it to either fund a slightly early retirement (again will be tax free) and then take say 5-7 grand a year out of it to top up your OAP

Is it a defined benefit pension or defined contribution? As that would also change things.

If it’s Defined Benefit(which it doesn’t sound like it is due to the tax) then she’d maybe get a widows pension

If it’s defined contribution then if you snuff it she’d get it all or what’s left anyway, and if it’s in a pension it’s better than if it’s in a bank account as the pension keeps it out of inheritance rules (though you’d probably be under the limits). But either way don’t do anything rash.

Have you spoken to PensionWise or anyone? They may be able to help with some advice or at least to allay fears