PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Budget 2023

Based on what Phil ??

My comments are based on real life people that I have known and worked with…
Based on my own kids, who've worked damned hard, have their own mortgages in starrter homes, eldest who's 28 has worked damned hard through school damned hard to get where she got in her footy career and since a career ending injury has worked damned hard to get several promotions and is about to pick up up her first brand new car on Monday.

That's just one, the others have worked incredibly hard too including one who's just flown off to Dubai, all expenses paid, in a Sports related role.

Pisses me off big time when I see a blanket statement about young people.

Utter guff.

Based on my own kids, who've worked damned hard, have their own mortgages in starrter homes, eldest who's 28 has worked damned hard through school damned hard to get where she got in her footy career and since a career ending injury has worked damned hard to get several promotions and is about to pick up up her first brand new car on Monday.

That's just one, the others have worked incredibly hard too including one who's just flown off to Dubai, all expenses paid, in a Sports related role.

Utter guff.
To be fair Raef, it wasn’t a blanket statement….

I did clarify that it was based on people that I had encountered at BAE Systems….

Utter guff.

Yes 100% appreciate that but responding with a blanket statement????

To be fair Raef, it wasn’t a blanket statement….

I did clarify that it was based on people that I had encountered at BAE Systems….
Then I'm glad you now realise that what happens in the weapons industry is far removed from real world reality

There is a societal shift. Thats what happens over time and with technology but this whole “well we had to save up and didn’t have credit cards”. Yeah you also lived in times where blacks and Irish weren’t allowed in pubs and host of other unsavoury things and that doesn’t mean you were doing everything right, it was the time you lived in
There wasn't really credit cards but there has always been HP and trust me that was the credit card of the era. I don’t think any generation has ever been doing everything right, if they had we would be living in a much better world. I doubt any generation will ever do everything right (or wrong).

I don't share others views that our young people are wasters, so, yes, a blanket statement.
I think you have misinterpreted my original post…. I never once said that kids are wasters , I merely made the point that a lot of young people that I have come across want everything and they want it now , whether that is houses, cars, promotions.

There wasn't really credit cards but there has always been HP and trust me that was the credit card of the era. I don’t think any generation has ever been doing everything right, if they had we would be living in a much better world. I doubt any generation will ever do everything right (or wrong).
I remember well the Provident guy collecting his money on a weekly basis from my parents when i was a kid.

I think you have misinterpreted my original post…. I never once said that kids are wasters , I merely made the point that a lot of young people that I have come across want everything and they want it now , whether that is houses, cars, promotions.

You don't need to explain yourself Ando. Those of us capable of reading without itching for an argument saw exactly what you said and know exactly what you meant 👍

To be honest, I do see a lot this where I work and where Mrs Drunks works
And a good few do not pay into a pension, despite mine being a council one and us oldies repeatedly tell then they need to

All agreed. Now though, the rates-of-credit that are pushed/invited to take up , remorselessly, are sky-high to what they used to be, back , say 50years ago. /1970's .
'BrightHouse' - I don't know if this company exist now, but the credit rates for poor-yes poor people getting eg a Washing Machine or Oven are/were terribly high. Also the sponsors of Shitpool FC.There used to be someone outside the Tory Party Conference every year with a placard complaining about it.....on my phone every morning I have to clear 'Ocean Credit Card' offer crap off. It's too easy to get this credit and then you're trapped into it. It wasn't always like this and the Govt. don't give a damn.

Last edited:
Is it or isn't it true that these top-end I-phones, which have a new edition about , what every 18 months or so, and cost what £800 a pop, are leased by most of their users ?

Easier to manage/ 'budget' for from month-to-month, sure, but surely that works out even more in any long-run.

So it's a regular, steady, accepted drip,drip,drip and at the end, - ay it's time to get the latest model, which will soon be replaced by- the latest model.
Etcetera, etcetera, etc.