PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Cats

Mentioned that cat posted above has a cat brother who I see occasionally. Well here he is. Dropped by for a quick chat, bite to eat and, in an unprecedented and rather bad mannered move, proceeded to spread his scent on every single surface he could find

1E7B5BB0-4500-4180-9E53-72D52B71940B.jpeg

I was never a cat person until last year when my missus agreed to take in a kitten who hadn't settled at a couple of homes. He is the greatest thing in the world and I'm glad we got him.

After some advice though regarding getting another one...

Is it best to get another male cat, or would that cause issues?
He's just turned 1 y/o so would we get another of the same age or will a kitten be ok?
Is it easy to integrate another cat? Will he start pissing on everything to mark his territory?

The house is big enough for another one, 2 floors and a basement and no kids so don't think there'll be issues there.

But yeah any advice is appreciated.

I was never a cat person until last year when my missus agreed to take in a kitten who hadn't settled at a couple of homes. He is the greatest thing in the world and I'm glad we got him.

He's just turned 1 y/o so would we get another of the same age or will a kitten be ok?
Is it easy to integrate another cat? Will he start pissing on everything to mark his territory?

The house is big enough for another one, 2 floors and a basement and no kids so don't think there'll be issues there.

Cats always pretend to hate each other when they first meet, well the one settled in the house is the boss, and will hiss for half a day or so, then stealthily have a sniff, a good 3-hour stare, a few more hisses but eventually will allow the newcomer to walk about with the occasional hiss from the resident cat.

Eventually they should become good mates.

You'll almost get to know the character of your cat, our last few have got along fairly well, even curling up together in the same bed, but they were quite needy characters, they've now all passed away over the last couple of years, our latest recruit is a proper one cat household type, he's quite independent and a bit of a toughy, I don't think he'd take to any newcomers so we're sticking with just him till he's gone.

Getting a kitten isn't actually a bad idea with a young cat - they usually end up playing together and the other cat doesn't see it as a threat. That seems to be even more the case when it is two boys - they love the rough and tumble. Don't think we have ever had a problem introducing kittens.

For older cats, as Mark said, it is about the individual cat - some don't care or enjoy the company, while others take offence. If they do spray (and females can do it, too), it is often more about insecurity than marking territory.

Our Ivy seems to be sneezing quite a bit over the last few days.

No other obvious symptoms and she’s eating normally etc.

I don’t really see she could have picked up a bug or anything.

She has no direct interaction with other cats, and we’d almost always wash our hands if we’re looking after the two next door.

Any ideas?

Maybe take her to the vet if she is still doing it next week?

Getting a kitten isn't actually a bad idea with a young cat - they usually end up playing together and the other cat doesn't see it as a threat. That seems to be even more the case when it is two boys - they love the rough and tumble. Don't think we have ever had a problem introducing kittens.

For older cats, as Mark said, it is about the individual cat - some don't care or enjoy the company, while others take offence. If they do spray (and females can do it, too), it is often more about insecurity than marking territory.
Nice one. I’ll keep an eye out for a male kitten then!

bad cat

doggo-killing-cat.gif

Our Ivy seems to be sneezing quite a bit over the last few days.

No other obvious symptoms and she’s eating normally etc.

I don’t really see she could have picked up a bug or anything.

She has no direct interaction with other cats, and we’d almost always wash our hands if we’re looking after the two next door.

Any ideas?

Maybe take her to the vet if she is still doing it next week?
They can pick up various colds pretty easily and viruses can be carried in many ways - cats can also be irritated by allergens like dust, pollen, cat litter, or certain cleaning chemicals/perfumes etc. Probably nothing to worry about for a few days if she has no other symptoms and is eating, but keep an eye on it. We usually take their temperature and check their teeth (a bad tooth can make them sneeze).

They can pick up various colds pretty easily and viruses can be carried in many ways - cats can also be irritated by allergens like dust, pollen, cat litter, or certain cleaning chemicals/perfumes etc. Probably nothing to worry about for a few days if she has no other symptoms and is eating, but keep an eye on it. We usually take their temperature and check their teeth (a bad tooth can make them sneeze).
Never knew that.

I reckon this guy actually died as a result of the collective wills of all cat owners (and other decent humans).

For my own piece of mind I also like to believe in karma for people cruel to other animals, whether in this life or the next.

Found a kitten dead in the road this afternoon after I’d come back from the shops. Heartbreaking. Guessing she’d been hit by a car not long before I found her. Taking her to the RSPCA tomorrow morning to check if chipped, got her wrapped up in the basement… didn’t really know what else to do.

Anyway, if anyone knows of anyone missing a kitten in the Avenham / Frenchwood area let me know.

I don't mind cats. Understand their importance towards helping folks mental health much in the way dogs do. Long may they continue.
What I don't get is how so called animal lovers own a cat. Your pet is part of killing many millions of native birds and rodents on our Island alone. Is it cognitive dissonance or just selfishness? Hopefully the former.