PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Extinction Rebellion

1955- USA, 171,685,336
2020- USA, 331,002,651

1955 USA population of the world 6.19%
2020 USA population of the world 4.25%

It is remarkable.

That graph looks like the growth of a pandemic . I wonder if there will be a crash, like there is with viruses. It is the way that nature generally works.

BMW announce they are halting all UK production of the electric Mini and moving its operation to China.
(Despite this promise recently, from the Tories....)
Only a year ago, Boris Johnson, then prime minister, promised at the Cop26 climate summit in Glasgow, to fund a “£1bn electric car revolution” in the UK “creating hundreds of thousands of jobs”. His predecessor, Theresa May, intended that Britain would become “a world leader” in electric vehicle manufacturing and made it one of the “pillars” of her short-lived industrial strategy.

BMW’s decision comes after reports that Britain’s only planned large-scale battery factory, being built by Britishvolt in the north-east of England, will go bust if it does not receive a £200m rescue

Govt decide to open first UK coal mine for 3 decades in conflict with Climate Action measures required to protect our planet and us.

Decision to be appealed.

Govt decide to open first UK coal mine for 3 decades in conflict with Climate Action measures required to protect our planet and us.

Decision to be appealed.
Thank God for that ( he did give it for a reason } now my beloved steam engines can now get over Shap and not struggle on crap low grade shipped at a big carbon foot print coal before it has been even used 🤣
laurel-and-hardy-phone-call.gif

We don't want your crappy coal

As far as I understand, this is GOOD for the climate.

This coal is, as I understand it metallurgical coal (coking coal). Not coal for creating heat or electricity.

This is no ordinary coal they’re digging up - it is of the high quality needed for producing coke - an essential ingredient for iron making.

At present, there is no viable carbon-free alternative for the mass production of iron. So, if we want steel, this sort of coal is going to be dug up and used somewhere else (perhaps somewhere with lower environmental standards than the UK). The alternative is to ship metallurgical coal halfway round the world for use in our blast furnaces.
That is my reading of it, too - the other alternative, of course, is buying steel from abroad. That still carries environmental costs and also opens the question of whether the UK should rely on external sources for such a strategic product.

That is my reading of it, too - the other alternative, of course, is buying steel from abroad. That still carries environmental costs and also opens the question of whether the UK should rely on external sources for such a strategic product.
It has been muted that the buying country should be responsible for the carbon footprnt produced on the manufactured goods, China suports this action :ROFLMAO:

Not cut and dry from either argument. How far are we off making 'green steel'? Is it a better idea to invest in this?
British steel have already rejected it because of it's high sulphur content. Plus another major UK producer. Commons climate committee concluded that approx 85% of it would be exported. It will belch out 3 major cities worth of co2.

Not cut and dry from either argument. How far are we off making 'green steel'? Is it a better idea to invest in this?
I’ve just been reading a bit on this. Setting the green argument aside, we do need carbon steel and this is to used primarily as a raw material rather than an energy source.

As you say, it’s far from cut and dry and tbh it pisses me off a bit that the environmentalists see everything as black or white.

It has been muted that the buying country should be responsible for the carbon footprnt produced on the manufactured goods, China suports this action :ROFLMAO:

There's a good argument that responsibility should at least be shared by the buying country. But perhaps a better argument is for China to take full responsibility for the emission, and be made to pay financially, and pass on that cost to buying countries.

British steel have already rejected it because of it's high sulphur content. Plus another major UK producer. Commons climate committee concluded that approx 85% of it would be exported. It will belch out 3 major cities worth of co2.

Interesting! I'd not seen the statements from British Steel and Tata Steel that this mine's metallurgical coal isn't as good as the press-releases have been making out!. The UK, like many Western European companies, have cut out a niche in supplying high-end low-impurity steels for the more demanding applications, so require the best input materials.

This revelation largely removes the argument that transport (environmental) costs would be lower by using domestic coking coal in the UK. There is still an argument that some plants in Western Europe would be willing customers, and that they are more likely to have good environmental credentials compared to Chinese or Russian steel production for example... If this is private money, then I would say that it makes sense to let them get on with it. But I fully agree that it needs to be all hands on deck to jump on the Green Steel bandwagon at the earliest opportunity... if funds are limited, that's where government investment should be targeted.

Worth a watch. Not perfect and he neglects to mention the fact that we are being conned by the car industry into replacing our cars every three years. I have already moaned at length on here about the fact that I have converted a van to house 8 seats (big family) which can still also be used as a goods van, therefore reducing the cars on my drive from 2 to 1. I will probably keep this until it is no longer affordable to repair (9 years so far) and there’s no sign of that becoming an issue. So let’s say I keep this vehicle 15 years (conservative estimate) by this time Joe ‘change my car every three years’ Public will be on their 6th car.
They’re forcing my diesel vehicle off the road and simultaneously, sanctimoniously, telling me it’s for the good of the environment. It is only for the benefit of the car industry, nothing else.
Pisses me right off. The world is full of gullible twunts.

Anybody who thinks that big business gives a shit about the environment, needs to give their head a wobble.

If there's money in it, yes.

Eg electric vehicles.

Question...which is better for the environment???

Selling someone a new car every three years or replacing them when repairs are no longer cost- effective?

BUSINESS DOES NOT GIVE A SHIT. If it did then it would not permit vehicle replacement until annual repair cost exceeded the cost of leasing a vehicle for 12 months.
with electric cars they’ll be getting scrapped more often than normal cars if the batteries die, due to the cost of replacing the battery. Plus they are useless if there is a power cut and you can’t charge them. For me it’s hybrids or hydrogen.