PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

FOR SALE

35m is the price tag I have heard bandied about

When you add on top of that the £30m+ a buyer would need to have to keep us in the Championship for 3 years on the present budget, plus many more millions to repair the ground, fund a better Academy set up (including a dome), and have a proper transfer kitty, it seems to be an unrealistic asking price.

£35m......Wow!

I wonder what they would value my 4yr old fiesta? £40k you say Craig, tell you what I'll take £30k as your such a nice chap 🤣🤣🤣

If they want £35m or anything even close to that amount we won't see new owners here any time soon. Not even a mega rich Sheikh or oil baron would pay that even if they'd bumped their head and realised they have a sudden desire for an average championship football club and butter pies.

I think the only way would be a very small (in relative terms) fee for the club, the 'debt' written off and someone who has £30-40m in cash ready to fund a stab at making this average Championship club a Premier League club.

I think I am at a point now that has been mentioned earlier in the thread were I wish the 'big 6' would piss off and just form this ESL they desire so much then English football can have a big re-set. Its out of control & the greed of the bigger clubs won't go away. The only problem I guess is how many of the other 'big' clubs would feel like they deserve a place at the very top table?

35m is the price tag I have heard bandied about
Despite having a number of theoretical qualifications (A level accounting, HND in Business & finance & an Economics degree)
I've only ever had a number of small Businesses that have only ever given me a half decent living, so i am definitely no Warren Buffet, Zuckerberg, Elon Musk or Bill Gates so definitely not commenting on any great personal success.

BUT, i DO know that a Club that doesn't own the ground only the buildings, has a squad of limited value and requires a circa 10 million pound input annually just to survive with a poor septuagenarian in charge of finance and recruitment, IS DEFINATELY NOT worth 35 million pounds. As it currently trades.
Maybe it was only 'Trevor' within the family who had any Business nous.

So 'The' Family should either:-
Sell for a nominal amount to save yourselves circa 10 mill a year ( 30 to 50 million over a 3 to 5 year period) OR appoint someone competent to invest your input which might give a half decent chance of recouping a decent wedge of it, if the Playing squad had something better than a nominal value.

To press the only real assets are Whiteman and an injured Riis, who may or may not be to the value he was.
At present the squad would be lucky to be valued @ 10 million in total.

Article from 10 months ago....make of it what you will

The article uses Transfermarkt valuations, which are not reliable.

For last season, to get to their £31.21m squad value, they used these numbers:

Alan Browne
£3,150,000.00​
Sepp van den Berg
£2,700,000.00​
Daniel Johnson
£1,980,000.00​
Ben Whiteman
£1,800,000.00​
Ryan Ledson
£1,800,000.00​
Josh Murphy
£1,800,000.00​
Tom Barkhuizen
£1,800,000.00​
Emil Riis
£1,800,000.00​
Patrick Bauer
£1,620,000.00​
Daniel Iversen
£1,350,000.00​
Andrew Hughes
£1,080,000.00​
Ali McCann
£1,080,000.00​
Izzy Brown
£1,080,000.00​
Brad Potts
£900,000.00​
Scott Sinclair
£900,000.00​
Sean Maguire
£900,000.00​
Greg Cunningham
£810,000.00​
Declan Rudd
£720,000.00​
Liam Lindsay
£720,000.00​
Josh Earl
£720,000.00​
Joe Rafferty
£450,000.00​
Cameron Archer
£450,000.00​
Bambo Diaby
£428,000.00​
Matthew Olosunde
£360,000.00​
Ched Evans
£270,000.00​
Connor Ripley
£225,000.00​
Paul Huntington
£225,000.00​
Ethan Walker
£90,000.00​
TOTAL:
£31,208,000.00

At the moment the Hemmings & associates are bound by the Conway Trust which states the club must be sold at "market value". If the Huddersfield sale goes ahead for £1 then that changes the "market value" of the club so theoretically makes the sale easier.

The issue of the £77 million "debt" remains an issue though. The club is 3/4 years from "breaking even" and that is only possible in League One so that figure rises by the day. But as well as the Conway Trust there is also the Trevor Hemmings Discretionary Trust, which has been set up to provide for Hemmings children and grandchildren. Effectively from June 2024 Preston NE is diverting funds from this trust and to wipe off what will by that point be £90 million out of a portfolio which is nowhere near a £1 billion anymore won't sit well with many.
I keep re-reading this post and coming to the conclusion that I don't understand it. It seems to me you have much more info/understanding than I do on this!

1. When you say "debt" do you mean money owed, or are you including shares?
2. 3/4 years from breaking even. Really? How did you calculate that - it's really good news if true but I don't see it.
3. Surely the 90 million is a portfolio amount, not a loss, until it is written off as a debt which will never be repaid?
4. What's the 1 billlion pound portfolio worth now and how do you know that?

What I can clearly see in the accounts is that the amortisation of player contracts is reducing.

I think the next set of accounts will make very interesting reading, as we will be able to compare two "post-COVID" years with higher season ticket sales etc.

I keep re-reading this post and coming to the conclusion that I don't understand it. It seems to me you have much more info/understanding than I do on this!

1. When you say "debt" do you mean money owed, or are you including shares?
2. 3/4 years from breaking even. Really? How did you calculate that - it's really good news if true but I don't see it.
3. Surely the 90 million is a portfolio amount, not a loss, until it is written off as a debt which will never be repaid?
4. What's the 1 billlion pound portfolio worth now and how do you know that?

What I can clearly see in the accounts is that the amortisation of player contracts is reducing.

I think the next set of accounts will make very interesting reading, as we will be able to compare two "post-COVID" years with higher season ticket sales etc.
Falling amortisation just means our days of paying substantial transfer fees are receding into the past.

You say point 2 ("breaking even") is good news while ignoring the kicker - "that is only possible in League One", which is less good news.

The £77m (soon to be £90m) debt is owed to the ultimate owners of the club, based in the Isle of Man, by the UK-based PNE holding company.

maybe I wasn't clear - I don't see how this statement makes sense. How will we break even in 3/4 years in league one?
Following relegation and a huge shedding of costs and players to cover the loss of Prem/EFL income, and with all the Championship-level wages off the books, we'll eventually be able to break-even in L1, somewhere down near the bottom of it.

Following relegation and a huge shedding of costs and players to cover the loss of Prem/EFL income, and with all the Championship-level wages off the books, we'll eventually be able to break-even in L1, somewhere down near the bottom of it.
Ah ok .. now I get it. But it is very speculative.

There are times when I wonder whether such a reset would be so bad. We might at least win some home games!

Ah ok .. now I get it. But it is very speculative.

There are times when I wonder whether such a reset would be so bad. We might at least win some home games!
It's not that speculative. We'll never break even in the Championship, that's obvious. And we'll never stay up if we continually cut the wage bill towards the break-even point without improving and investing in any other part of the club to compensate - which we're not doing, we're cutting or freezing costs everywhere. It's just a matter of time.

Such a reset wouldn't be a good experience for the fans, except perhaps those fans who fetishise lower-league football and perhaps secretly wish we'd never left it.