PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Frankie explains Sinclair & Murphy situations

That's a car crash of an interview. We've got last year's top scorer and our only clinical finisher sat on the bench because he's not tracking back and defending?

Also criticising Murphy for his defensive abilities and basically calling him lazy. A player he only brought in a few weeks ago?!

Yes work rate is expected but their attacking threat can't be disregarded due to their defensive frailties.

I don't want these players defending. I want them up the pitch. We have enough fucking players behind the ball without forcing the front line back too. Yesterday we were sat so deep it was inviting pressure constantly. The shape without the ball is truly abysmal at times, especially during throw ins in our half. I couldn't believe the positioning of the players at times. During a couple of corners we had 3 men in absolute no man's land stood on the edge of the 6 yard box on the near post side. I understand zonal marking is what we do, but they were literally serving no purpose being there. The ball went over their heads each time and we were automatically outnumbered for aerials.

And on that topic, If I have to watch one more corner where we have every fucker back in the box defending I'm going to lose my shit. It's absolutely dog turd. Remember when Billy Davies once put 3 men on the half way line when defending a corner? The opposition didn't know what to do.

It's straight out of ANs book.
Got to go, the sooner the better.
It's a bit tiresome really having a dig at Neil - he was a proper championship manager and took his role very serious, I understand people lost any faith in him but Neil's time at Preston was ultimately railroaded by the shite management of the club/playing staff than his own personal failings.

This squad for example, what do people actually believe they're capable of? In my opinion Neil mostly got the maximum out of it, Frankie is fucking useless in comparison.

Lancs Live are dribbling out post-match snippets over multiple clickbait articles.

Here's the hairdryer treatment, "Nice Guy" Frankie-style:

FM: "It was that bad that I said to the guys (at half-time) that what they had just produced was absolutely nowhere near good enough and that it wasn't going to get us anywhere."

5 defenders obviously isn’t enough for our Frankie, he wants all our attacking players to track back too, also wants them in goalscoring positions at the other end. Superhuman players in our team, FM could win the league…

Ffs we need a proper manager asap

We had one in Neil... The pressing when he first came was brilliant......... God knows what happened. I assume it was down to all the injuries, the outside advisors that came in and then he lost all interest........ Having said that the club is at fault for not recruiting players that can cope with playing high press. What do we do? Sign up crocks.. pffft

Thereby lies the problem. Defend a draw at all costs and hope somehow a forward will make a breakout from defence and score.

ps pages 1 - 100 of the Scotsman training manual

The writing was on the wall with this formation in pre season. It was clear we didn’t have the players to play that way or a manager (head coach!) capable of delivering what ever the hell he was hoping from. The stats from Accy Stanley to Derby show we encourage ball retention for the opposition, pushing us back and penning us in to a back 5. That in turn draws the midfield deeper and then isolates our strikers . Only option then is a punt.
Being pushed into a back 5 then highlights multiple frailties. Earl struggles on the back foot, Storey has a tendency to panic with attackers running at him and not one of our midfielders can grab hold of the ball , keep possession and drive forward.
The long punt then shows we can’t hold the ball or provide little support to our strikers . Can only dream of seeing one of our midfielders run beyond the attack or a player hit the byline and whip a ball in.

All the above has been on the cards for months.

However …. Potts up front should have been instant dismissal. I will never get over that !

The writing was on the wall with this formation in pre season. It was clear we didn’t have the players to play that way or a manager (head coach!) capable of delivering what ever the hell he was hoping from. The stats from Accy Stanley to Derby show we encourage ball retention for the opposition, pushing us back and penning us in to a back 5. That in turn draws the midfield deeper and then isolates our strikers . Only option then is a punt.
Being pushed into a back 5 then highlights multiple frailties. Earl struggles on the back foot, Storey has a tendency to panic with attackers running at him and not one of our midfielders can grab hold of the ball , keep possession and drive forward.
The long punt then shows we can’t hold the ball or provide little support to our strikers . Can only dream of seeing one of our midfielders run beyond the attack or a player hit the byline and whip a ball in.

All the above has been on the cards for months.

However …. Potts up front should have been instant dismissal. I will never get over that !
Spot on.

Watching Murphy knock the ball and skin his man was the most exciting thing I've seen in months. What have we come to.

We had one in Neil... The pressing when he first came was brilliant......... God knows what happened. I assume it was down to all the injuries, the outside advisors that came in and then he lost all interest........ Having said that the club is at fault for not recruiting players that can cope with playing high press. What do we do? Sign up crocks.. pffft
I thought it was the other way round, we played attacking pressing football to begin with under Neil but as the injured players started to come back into the first team, we reverted to playing a much more negative style

I thought it was the other way round, we played attacking pressing football to begin with under Neil but as the injured players started to come back into the first team, we reverted to playing a much more negative style

There's a reason he abandoned the 100mph high press and started playing like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest... I doubt it was through personal choice.

After a few months of high pressing, we had players regularly cramping up after 70 minutes.

Then the hamstrings started going.

AN slowly discovered you can't convert just anyone into a high-press player.

When he discovered we weren't going to be signing any high-press players either, he never really had an alternative plan.

8 defenders and 2 forwards as a formation and he’s talking about work rate?

Until we brought a few forwards on yesterday it was one way traffic, what’s the point of work rate when your formation doesn’t let you get forwards in numbers.

You need to sort yourself out Frankie I’m afraid....it’s your work rate which is under question......

He’s a clown. We looked miles better when we went to 433 with Sinclair and Murphy either side of Riis. Persist with that and we might actually look a goal threat once in a while.
Yeah, that’s true. But that’s the first time we’ve changed to a back four and it’s actually ‘worked’, in the loosest sense.

Brentford last season, Hull this season. Thought it was a ballsy move from him.

The question has been do we have the centre halves to be able to play a back four? I think Sepp, Bauer, Hughes, Greg is a decent one.

After a few months of high pressing, we had players regularly cramping up after 70 minutes.

When he discovered we weren't going to be signing any high-press players either, he never really had an alternative plan.
I'm not sure it's down to individual characteristics. I suspect that playing a "high press" requires an intimate knowledge of the game so that the shape and tactics allow you to press as a team. I don't think it's about sitting in and players sprinting 30 yards every 30 seconds to press the ball. But you're right in that if the high press doesn't work for whatever reason you need a plan B. I think AN's was the counter-attacking ploy.

Yep.... And then he gave up.

He’s a clown. We looked miles better when we went to 433 with Sinclair and Murphy either side of Riis. Persist with that and we might actually look a goal threat once in a while.
I think this seems the way to go - can swap Barky in and out easily. Who would the midfield three be? Would Hughes play left back or left centre half?

Yeah, that’s true. But that’s the first time we’ve changed to a back four and it’s actually ‘worked’, in the loosest sense.

Brentford last season, Hull this season. Thought it was a ballsy move from him.

The question has been do we have the centre halves to be able to play a back four? I think Sepp, Bauer, Hughes, Greg is a decent one.
Hull and Brentford our back 2 were Storey and Lindsay. Bauer and Hughes are a much better more balanced partnership. Wouldn’t work every game, but have plenty to be able to do the basics and allow the rest of the squad to play

I think this seems the way to go - can swap Barky in and out easily. Who would the midfield three be? Would Hughes play left back or left centre half?
I'd play (when fit)
Iverson
Olosunde Bauer Sepp Earl/Hughes
Whiteman McCann Ledson
Barky Riis Sinclair/Murphy

Maybe you can afford one "luxury" player on one side if the other side has someone who is a bit more defensively minded. In the past we had players like Sedgewick on one wing to balance out a more out and out winger on the other.