PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2024 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sign a 21 year old guy for £1.5m.

Play to his strengths. Get him in the goals.

Sell him 6 months later for £8m (upto £15m).

It's not rocket science.
View attachment 19112
Took a bit longer but…..Riis. We chose not to cash in, rightly or wrongly (the latter in my opinion).

Identifying the players is relatively easy. It’s the lack of direction that’s the problem. No plan, no vision, just hand to mouth trusting to luck with the owners happy enough to bail out as needed.

If that’s it they must be very confident that Browne will sign?
I honestly don't think they want Browne to sign a new contract. Just like with Davis, Pearson and DJ, it's seen as an opportunity to prune the squad and reduce running costs. As with previous examples, Ridsdale has gone out of his way to let it be known that a contract has been offered by the club and declined by the player (so far at least). Only journey men like Hughes and Woodburn take pay cuts. Record season ticket sales and the best league start in over 100 years have been thrown away. What a missed opportunity. One we probably won't see again under the current ownership.

The only plan at Deepdale is .....Wait and see then we will think about it and devise reasons why we cant progress.
The whole mentality of the top people is way off the top people at successful premier clubs it is embarrassing. Look what Brighton have done in the last 40 years compared with what Preston have done.

Literally could have just not bothered with a Jan transfer thread
- Cashed in 600k+ from the Chelsea game.
- Terminated our one Prem loan player.
- Avoided sacking Lowe (even after 5 wins in 21)
- Tied down Hughes, Whiteman & McCann

I think it's been a very successful and profitable month for the club. Strong and stable. Revitt would doubtless approve.

With 17 senior pros contracted til 2025 and beyond this coming summer should be another relaxed affair. No need (or should I say ability) to make wholesale changes.

Just find some squad filler to replace some of Evans, Cunningham, Bauer and Woodburn and we go again aspiring onwards to midtable.

Took a bit longer but…..Riis. We chose not to cash in, rightly or wrongly (the latter in my opinion).

Identifying the players is relatively easy. It’s the lack of direction that’s the problem. No plan, no vision, just hand to mouth trusting to luck with the owners happy enough to bail out as needed.
Yeah, I think if we had one decision maker (rather than the IOM style committee) and if we had a proper replacement lined up - we'd have cashed in Riis that year.

But, we are a reactive club. Not a progressive, modern strategic one. It's why we turned the Callum Robinson money into Stockley, Bayliss, Rafferty, Ripley, Nugent & co.

And have not been able to sell anyone for £1m+ in nearly five years. Whilst other clubs seem to manage to do it on a frequent basis.

Club apologists say there's nothing we can do about our current struggles with FFP. But the answer is to not do, what we have been doing.

Each contract extension to a guy nearing or past 30 just doubles down on it, cementing the next few years to be the same old tedium.

Other teams make signings...not having this ffp bollocks..if Trev had wanted a new horse or Bentley etc he'd have found a way. It just the perception of the fans that matters..and years nay decades of piss poor decisions reinforces the mentality that the owners are tight as a ducks arse....so when they try to plead the financial truth no bugger believes them.

Status
Not open for further replies.