PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Jury Service

Mixed experiences, but lots of "did bugger all"

Lets see what happens.

I ve been twice . Preston and Bolton - got called for cases on both - one guy had had his ear bitten off on fight in Blackpool ( the pictures weren't good !) and the other was car theft in Prestwich.

The prestwich case judge asked me to pronounce a not guilty as the police evidence was flawed ( dodgy sniffer dog - I kid you not ) The Blackpool case chief witness didn't show so they couldn't continue.

Absolutely fascinating watching the barristers going toe to toe - plenty of chill time , take all the papers and a good book - telly was one all day too.

Incidentally chatting with fellow jurors we deduced that the catalyst for a call up was an application for a new passport or drivers licence.

One thing I remember as well is you're outside the court having a natter with the other jury members and then minutes later you're in court with everyone watching you and you have absolutely no idea what the case is until the charge is read out.

Imagine being the poor souls who got called up for the Cregan trial at PCC that went on for about 3 months, t'other summer.

Can you not just say you can't be assed?

I did jury service about 10 years ago. Sat around for four days doing bugger all then got on a stultifyinglh tedious theft case where it was clear from about an hour in that the bloke was not guilty.....lasted 2 days then got discharged which was handy.

I thought the point was that the CPS only bring charges where there is a clear likelihood of conviction. If you knew after an hour that he wasn't guilty, it could hardly have passed that test.

Id hate to be an innocent person thrust in front of a PNE-ONLINE jury,they would be hung.

Yes you'd never imagine which way Nobber would send you.

Imagine being the poor souls who got called up for the Cregan trial at PCC that went on for about 3 months, t'other summer.

Can you not just say you can't be assed?

Someone I used to work with, his wife was on the Morecambe Bay cockle pickers trial.

If you have a pre booked holiday take the details with you. Other than that, you'd have to be pretty convincing in front of the judge to get off doing one, unless you know someone involved of course...

I thought the point was that the CPS only bring charges where there is a clear likelihood of conviction. If you knew after an hour that he wasn't guilty, it could hardly have passed that test.

I had one and it turned out the police had distroyed or lost the one piece of evidence so when asked by the judge if we could be sure of his guilt the answer was no and it took about 10 minutes in the jury room to decide it, 8 of which was looking for someone to volunteer to deliver the verdict.

Incidentally chatting with fellow jurors we deduced that the catalyst for a call up was an application for a new passport or drivers licence.

Heard that said before as it's a surefire way peoples addresses are up to date.

A mate of mine ended up on a corporate fraud case that went on for a couple of months. Said he was bored shitless and it was just pages and pages of accounting to look at in the evidence.

Mixed experiences, but lots of "did bugger all"

Lets see what happens.

Yep........And here's another thing that springs to mind.The private Barristers that did the defending appeared to be of a far higher calibre than those that did the prosecuting on behalf of the state................

Oh yeah..and watch out for " the point of law " application where you are all turfed out of the courtroom and the trial sometimes comes to a mysterious end.. :)

Yep........And here's another thing that springs to mind.The private Barristers that did the defending appeared to be of a far higher calibre than those that did the prosecuting on behalf of the state................

Oh yeah..and watch out for " the point of law " application where you are all turfed out of the courtroom and the trial sometimes comes to a mysterious end.. :)

The thing that got me, is how short the days were ... Start at 10 lunch at 12 back at 2 and finish at 3-30..

TChat was not every day but quite frequently !

The thing that got me, is how short the days were ... Start at 10, lunch at 12 , back at 2 and finish at 3-30..

That was not every day, but quite frequently !

What shocked me was after the days events the accused just wander out of the building with us jurors. One mush in the dock had been giving me daggers all day , trying to intimidate me I guess. Right brute he was too .

Anyway turns out I m in the lift with him at close of play and to lighten matters I pressed the button and said breezily " going down "

" I fuckin hope not mate " he replied - I pissed myself laughing.

Last edited:

My experience too Lib. The prosecution lawyer was pitiful.....the defence lawyer ripped him apart, she was very impressive