PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Luton Town v PNE - 20/06/20 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Understand, don't think we've tried Sinclair central yet have we? But barky has done well when we've had to play him there - harrop needs to take his chance where ever that maybe
Sinclair played up top with Barky, but I don’t think he’s played solo apart from slight rotation within games. Played up to alone for Celtic at times

Harrop should be the future but under AN is given less opportunity to play, I really rate Harrop and thought January was the start of his run in the team his dead balls are 100% better than Gallaghers. This has to be Gallaghers last season thanked for his efforts but either moved onto a lower league club or given a coaching role full time. Same for Clarke and Huntington thanks for everything you’ve given

For me Gallagher ought to be nailed on as the next North End manager. If he isn’t I am certain that decision will come back to haunt the club.

So you agree that Alex has worked a miracle by getting us to sixth place but you want him gone? I’m struggling to understand that logic. Please could you explain?

The fact we are sixth with no striker all season is a miracle. If we make play offs Alex Neil deserves a statue of him outside the ground. But yet some fans want him gone even though our strikers have only
Scored five goals between them.
We are 6th at the moment yes but can’t see that lasting for much longer, possibly the reason our strikers aren’t scoring is down to the tactics of said statue.

For me Gallagher ought to be nailed on as the next North End manager. If he isn’t I am certain that decision will come back to haunt the club.
Wouldn’t be against Gallagher being next manager with experience alongside him, obviously has respect of a lot of current team. Has a good footballing brain just the legs can’t do it anymore

I could see Gally taking a key role in the next management but not out and out manager until he's deemed ready.

I think a few of the lads will come back in coaching roles at some point. There should be a clear pathway implemented at the club.

The FA have also announced a new scheme to fix the issues relating to BAME bias in coaching so we may find ourselves one coach stronger anyway.

I don't entirely disagree with what you say. Moore and Jerome are, in mine and most other people's opinions, far better options than Stockley, albeit more expensive. My point is, why persist with a badly, out of form Maguire, when you have Stockley waiting for a chance.
Another point I was attempting to make, was his stacking up of midfield players at Norwich, and hardly playing them. Why sign Potts, Bayliss and Ledson, all for big, by PNE standards, fees. Surely one of them would've been enough.

Lastly, do the club expect him to achieve a play off place? If so, I agree that Alex has worked a miracle with the budget available to him. That, or he has been very lucky. I'm sorry, but I was losing faith with him pre lockdown, and Saturday hasn't done a lot to change my mind.

I suspect he sticks with Maguire but he’s able to at least provide some sort of pressing and movement. Whilst he almost never scores, he at least provides a bit of mobility. Stockley and Nugent are far too slow and it holds the whole team back.

The reality is that we’re arguing about who is the best of a bad bunch. The club have signed lads from Ireland, Scotland, and League Two, thinking they can provide the firepower to get us into the Prem.

None of the strikers are good enough. If, as I expect, we’re in this division again next season, I think we should clear out the striking department and start again. But given that it seems so difficult for the club to get any striker in, I wouldn’t back us to sign 2-3 strikers in one go.

So you agree that Alex has worked a miracle by getting us to sixth place but you want him gone? I’m struggling to understand that logic. Please could you explain?

The fact we are sixth with no striker all season is a miracle. If we make play offs Alex Neil deserves a statue of him outside the ground. But yet some fans want him gone even though our strikers have only
Scored five goals between them.
If we finish top 6, yes, he's worked a miracle and he's made my comments look stupid. Basically, I'm just frustrated and think we have wasted a golden opportunity due to his intransigence. His persistence with Maguire being an obvious example. Also, why squander money on Potts, Bayliss and Ledson when we already have, Pearson, Browne, Harrop, Johnson and Gally, with Baxter and O'Reilly as back up? We're desperately in need of a striker, left back and another keeper, but unnecessary money was spent on those 3 midfielders, who hardly play anyway.

Also, I think Neil's lost his mojo. In one of his early games, away at Hull with the score 1-1, he made a couple of match winning substitutions, bringing on Horgan and Robinson IIRC. Would he do that now? No he wouldn't. His subs, to my mind, are reactive as opposed to proactive. I don't necessarily want him gone, after all, who would we get to replace him? I just wish he'd be a bit more adventurous in his approach to games and less rigid.

I suspect he sticks with Maguire but he’s able to at least provide some sort of pressing and movement. Whilst he almost never scores, he at least provides a bit of mobility. Stockley and Nugent are far too slow and it holds the whole team back.

The reality is that we’re arguing about who is the best of a bad bunch. The club have signed lads from Ireland, Scotland, and League Two, thinking they can provide the firepower to get us into the Prem.

None of the strikers are good enough. If, as I expect, we’re in this division again next season, I think we should clear out the striking department and start again. But given that it seems so difficult for the club to get any striker in, I wouldn’t back us to sign 2-3 strikers in one go.

Louis Moult will be "like a new signing"

:rolleyes:

If we finish top 6, yes, he's worked a miracle and he's made my comments look stupid. Basically, I'm just frustrated and think we have wasted a golden opportunity due to his intransigence. His persistence with Maguire being an obvious example. Also, why squander money on Potts, Bayliss and Ledson when we already have, Pearson, Browne, Harrop, Johnson and Gally, with Baxter and O'Reilly as back up? We're desperately in need of a striker, left back and another keeper, but unnecessary money was spent on those 3 midfielders, who hardly play anyway.

Also, I think Neil's lost his mojo. In one of his early games, away at Hull with the score 1-1, he made a couple of match winning substitutions, bringing on Horgan and Robinson IIRC. Would he do that now? No he wouldn't. His subs, to my mind, are reactive as opposed to proactive. I don't necessarily want him gone, after all, who would we get to replace him? I just wish he'd be a bit more adventurous in his approach to games and less rigid.

Good post, overloaded with midfielders of similar ability in the squad and that hull game I remember it well 👍🏻

He should but if he ran or surged at the opposition, what happens if he loses the ball? There’s nobody to stop the resulting counter attack because he’s now out of position and there’s only Gallagher, other than the defenders, to stop them - and that‘s not Gallagher’s strength. The answer seems simple, Browne alongside Pearson even if it’s not his preference and five Pearson the license.

Of course, if he’s surging at the opposition he needs Intelligent runners either side to give him options ....

I thought he was going with Voldemort' 'trader concept' by signing the likes of Storey, Ledson and Bayliss.

It kind of falls down when you leave them sat on their arses though.

On your second paragraph - yes he would make them changes.
Against Hull - Stockley and Browne come on change the game.
Against Stoke at 0-0 - Nugent comes on and forces a corner which leads to the first goal.
Against Luton at 1-1 - Stockley comes on and scores.
Against Leeds - at 0-0 Maguire come on and crosses for Barky to score.
Against Blackburn - Stockley comes on at half time and changes the game.

There are times when he reacts and there are times when he is proactive. A good manager can’t be proactive all the time and it’s down to the team to make sure we don’t concede.

That’s five off the top of my head of matches in which he has made substitutes to change the game. There are probably
More.

If anyone has a spare hour or so, our most impassioned episode of the podcast is available to stream now. Some worrying stats and we discuss the two dropped points on Saturday.

Good pod this week lads, but can't deny I was feeling slightly deflated afterwards...! Really hope your predictions don't come true and we can stick it to Cardiff, but conversely couldn't help but agree with a lot of what you all said... keep the faith (?!)