PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Sheffield United - 14/09/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

I’m reading comments on this thread about comparisons between Frankie and Alex Neil. For me they are way off the mark.

I was wrong about Frankie. The last four games we have played some brilliant football and I am actually starting to enjoy going to games again.

How many times did we hear Neil say ‘the first goal killed us.’ I think five of our first six games last season we lost 1 or 2- 0.

We go 1-0 down and the fighting spirit is there for all to see. It took us one minute to equalise v swansea and twelve minutes last night then we equalised last minute.

Yes his substitutions were a bit questionable but to hear one or two numpties say it’s a ‘sackable offence’ - fucking hell took about an over the top reaction.

And final thing - another comment stating that Shef United are a ‘poor side’ despite having a 30 million international in midfield. How many poor sides are we bloody playing. That’s 7 already and we still need to play 5 of the bottom 8. How many poor sides are there?? Why not just give the lads and Frankie some credit eh instead of knocking them every chance we get.

We played well, more than deserved a point over the course of 90 minutes. On another day, could have been 3. Some fantastic individual performances. Pleased for the fans that payed all that money, i'm sure it was all well spent.

He was and he really showed his class today. Problem is, if he carries on playing like that, we’ll have no chance of signing him permanently.

Haha we've got zero chance of signing him.......he's worth way more than we can afford.

And final thing - another comment stating that Shef United are a ‘poor side’ despite having a 30 million international in midfield. How many poor sides are we bloody playing. That’s 7 already and we still need to play 5 of the bottom 8. How many poor sides are there?? Why not just give the lads and Frankie some credit eh instead of knocking them every chance we get.
I didn't think they were poor. They were the better side on the whole for me. Some lovely crisp passing and can hold the ball better as a team than us.

That said, we deserved a point. We were on top for a lot of the first half with some real width and the ball being sprayed around. We're nowhere near as one dimensional as we have been. Second half not so good, though at least we are creating a fair few chances and players have stepped back up to mark, to wit DJ.

A thread of people calmly and level-headedly waiting for full time before they type out what they think about the matchday would make a pretty anaemic matchday thread.

As would a transfer deadline day thread marked by no one posting until 23:00.
Aye the meltdowns are what make it.

Having slept on it…

Iversen 9
SVDB 9
Earl 9
Bauer 7
Storey 7
Hughes 7
Whiteman 8
Ledson 8
Johnson 9
Maguire 8
Riis 8

Having slept on it…

Iversen 9
SVDB 9
Earl 9
Bauer 7
Storey 7
Hughes 7
Whiteman 8
Ledson 8
Johnson 9
Maguire 8
Riis 8
These ratings I agree more with. Probably give Maguire and Riis 7s though because if they’d had their shooting boots on we’d have won that

agree mostly but I thought Bauer had a bit of an off day maybe a 5 or 6 for me. DJ MOM
He wasn’t at his best but Sharp is a real threat at this level and Bauer kept him reasonably quiet….there was also a quality sliding block on him that looked a certain goal…shame to give a 5/6 to anyone after a hard fought draw like that?

He wasn’t at his best but Sharp is a real threat at this level and Bauer kept him reasonably quiet….there was also a quality sliding block on him that looked a certain goal…shame to give a 5/6 to anyone after a hard fought draw like that?
Mostly 7s overall I'd have said, a couple drifitng into 8s, Johnson (please keep this up lad, this is the player we know you can be and the player we need) and the wing backs. It can't be forgotten that we looked badly exposed once or twice (Fleck's chance for instance) and both goals were pretty untidy (Bauer provides leadership but I don't think he's all that solid - still an issue at the back for me).

But on the whole, we play largely on the front foot, and create chances. You get the feeling the team has somewhere to go and improve again whereas in the latter days of Neil it was impossible to feel positive.

6.5 for Bauer for me. He wasn't terrible but didn't cover himself in glory for both their goals and was a bit sloppy all through the first half. Picked up in the second and was playing against quality opposition.

5 to me is 50%. which is average neither really good or really poor so 6 is a bit above average , which I think is a fair assessment.

I’ve just listened to the post match FMc interview and it sounds like he had a bit of an internal meltdown when we went 2-1 down after the substitutions….so our nappy wetters weren’t on their own.

I’ve not seen any of our last 3 away matches, but from comments on here it sounds like North End should have had more points from all 3 of them.
Against Huddersfield a fair result would have been both teams to get 0 points. It was terrible. Not seen Bristol City. Last night both teams could have won it - on another day Riis would have put his chance at 1-1 away and we may have won, as it turned out we grabbed the draw. Can't really complain.