PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Neil OUT

Neil Out?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah he's a top Championship player, maybe even the best, on ability alone. Just need to get his head sorted, and give him the confidence after his suspension by starting him at Luton. I think he'll thrive on the fans being back. Hopefully Hughes and Browne are okay too, need to go in with a similar team if we can.
Was impressed with Hughes tonight, not his biggest fan at the best of times but a good shift from him tonight

which is very true........ but for me I wonder how many people highlighting our last 20 home games were waxing lyrical about our previous 40 home games.... or is it just one way statistics ?
It doesn't matter if you've done the double and won the champions league the previous 20. If your 20+ games currently with like 4 wins, serious questions need to be asked and rightly so.

He's becoming quite the liability. I don't think I'd drop him based on one performance but he plays like that again he has to be out. Was the worst 45 minutes I've seen from a full back since Grimshaw at Reading

You don't half talk some shite. Rafferty's performance against Blackburn was miles worse. I know you won't respond to this (but you know i'm right on two fronts) 1) You talk shite and 2) The performance against Blackburn was much much worse.

You don't half talk some shite. Rafferty's performance against Blackburn was miles worse. I know you won't respond to this (but you know i'm right on two fronts) 1) You talk shite and 2) The performance against Blackburn was much much worse.
We have a really good player in Fisher.

But the reality is, over a season - given Fisher's substantive contribution - Right back is a weak spot.

This is something our players are coached to do, they allow the cross as opposed to diving in. The management team think we have a good enough chance clearing a lofted cross in rather than a player driving into the box. It was said on commentary a while back and is definitely a tactic and not just Fisher being lazy. I’d personally like to see us close down more.

Spurs did it on Sunday. Knew Aubameyang wasn't going to win any headers so allowed Arsenal to put crosses in. Think they had 49 in total. Same tonight. Assombolanga wasn't going to win anything against Huntington. Would probably be a bit different against a side with a target man.

Wahey, even the resident WUM's upset

But the reality is, over a season - given Fisher's substantive contribution - Right back is a weak spot.

I'm not arguing that. I just don't think tonight was that bad compared to Rafferty's contribution against Blackburn whose diabolical mistake literally gave Blackburn the three points.

You're right, lets replace Rafferty with someone competent who can effectively cover when Fisher isn't available or if he drops off form.

But not tonight - or this season at all really. He has some attaching ability when it suits him - but many other deficiencies.

He hasnt been as good as last season no, where he was POTS by my reckoning. But he's had a decent season this year. Played well against Norwich, Reading and Blackburn. Poor game tonight but it happens, he's been a top player for the vast majority of his 100 games for us, so that will do for me.

From a statistical perspective. He's made 16 successful challenges this season in his 7 games compared to Rafferty's 9 in 14. His stats from last year are insane as well. Winning the ball back 7.4 times per every once he got dribbled past.

Can't believe we've just kept a clean sheet at home and there's suggestions of Rafferty over Fisher.

Rafferty would struggle to get in the majority of L1 sides at RB nevermind Championship. Darnell might have been a bit off-the-pace tonight / half-fit but a clean sheet and more importantly a balanced back four tonight was great to see.

More of the same Saturday please

Spurs did it on Sunday. Knew Aubameyang wasn't going to win any headers so allowed Arsenal to put crosses in. Think they had 49 in total. Same tonight. Assombolanga wasn't going to win anything against Huntington. Would probably be a bit different against a side with a target man.
Well you need to make sure alll the posters on here know that. Because if Hughsey or Raff were allowing crosses to come in from the left with no effective challenge - they'd be getting ABSOLUTELY slaughtered here.

To be frank - I can't see you being right as far as that being a considered defensive strategy (well not for PNE anyway).

I can understand having the confidence that your defenders will will the majority of challenges on the end of the cross - but letting a team put a ball into the goal area 6-8 yards out based on that, rather than stop the cross coming in at all?

Anything can happen when a good ball comes in at pace.

He hasnt been as good as last season no, where he was POTS by my reckoning. But he's had a decent season this year. Played well against Norwich, Reading and Blackburn. Poor game tonight but it happens, he's been a top player for the vast majority of his 100 games for us, so that will do for me.

From a statistical perspective. He's made 16 successful challenges this season in his 7 games compared to Rafferty's 9 in 14. His stats from last year are insane as well. Winning the ball back 7.4 times per every once he got dribbled past.
I have a 'holistic' view of Fisher - what he contributes to the squad, over a season. Not arguing he's not a good player.

Often good when he plays. Often not that good when he plays. Doesn't play often enough (because of injury/suspension and I believe fitness/stamina issues given he's been on the bench quite a bit when not injured/suspended).

AN wanting to pick him (understandably) when he's fit/available means we never get a settled system and the in-and-out nature of his selection undermines defensive cohesion/understanding.

(Some) fans get taken with the fact that he's an 'up and at 'em' type of player - which we all like. He's created a legend around his 'shithousing'. Some fans like that.

But because of his playing style (up and at em) his good contributions are noticeable as a result. This skews some people's view as they can only judge 'incidents' in the game.

But his good contributions are fairly few. And if anyone thinks his defensive display tonight was up to his standards they are fooling themselves.

If he performed to his potential even 60% of the time I's have no issue.

Some think he's so good that he's too good for us. I don't see any Premiership clubs (or better Championship clubs) taking an interest.

I have a 'holistic' view of Fisher - what he contributes to the squad, over a season. Not arguing he's not a good player.

Often good when he plays. Often not that good when he plays. Doesn't play often enough (because of injury/suspension and I believe fitness/stamina issues given he's been on the bench quite a bit when not injured/suspended).

AN wanting to pick him (understandably) when he's fit/available means we never get a settled system and the in-and-out nature of his selection undermines defensive cohesion/understanding.

(Some) fans get taken with the fact that he's an 'up and at 'em' type of player - which we all like. He's created a legend around his 'shithousing'. Some fans like that.

But because of his playing style (up and at em) his good contributions are noticeable as a result. This skews some people's view as they can only judge 'incidents' in the game.

But his good contributions are fairly few. And if anyone thinks his defensive display tonight was up to his standards they are fooling themselves.

Some think he's so good that he's too good for us. I don't see any Premiership clubs (or better Championship clubs) taking an interest.
This would work better with graphs.

1) AN wanting to pick him (understandably) when he's fit/available means we never get a settled system and the in-and-out nature of his selection undermines defensive cohesion/understanding.

2) But because of his playing style (up and at em) his good contributions are noticeable as a result. This skews some people's view as they can only judge 'incidents' in the game.

3) But his good contributions are fairly few. And if anyone thinks his defensive display tonight was up to his standards they are fooling themselves.

1) This is wrong. PPG when he plays is like 0.4 higher than when he doesn't over the last 3 seasons.

2) Remember the West Brom game where he got sent off despite making a perfectly fair challenge. Like 40% of the forum couldnt wait to type cliched shit like 'he's always got that in him' or 'Fisher is a liability.' When in fact it was a clear mistake from the referee that was overturned by the league. So I think opinion is definitely skewed disfavourably.

3) Couldnt watch the game tonight (First Ive missed this season) but I believe he was poor, no arguments there. But his bad game leaves us with a 3-0 win, Rafferty's last shocker and we lost 3-0.

End of the day, the guy has been largely excellent for 4 seasons, and we still have fans crowing for Rafferty? When I look down the list of right backs in the division, I really struggle to see players who offer as much going forward whilst still being good defensively. Max Aarons and Henrik Dalsgaard are probably the only two

We’ve won 3-0 tonight with a good second half performance, but we still have players coming in for criticism. There were no weak links tonight in a professional performance. We’ve had some horror shows at home this season, so let’s just take in a better feeling for once and hope we can now put a few wins on the board at Deepdale.

I know I said at half time that the game looked like a training session, but that seems to have been the case for nearly 12 months now imo. We usually kick towards the kop end in the first half and it just seems to me that our first target is to get to HT 0-0 but tonight we certainly played better in the second half.

1) This is wrong. PPG when he plays is like 0.4 higher than when he doesn't over the last 3 seasons.

2) Remember the West Brom game where he got sent off despite making a perfectly fair challenge. Like 40% of the forum couldnt wait to type cliched shit like 'he's always got that in him' or 'Fisher is a liability.' When in fact it was a clear mistake from the referee that was overturned by the league. So I think opinion is definitely skewed disfavourably.

3) Couldnt watch the game tonight (First Ive missed this season) but I believe he was poor, no arguments there. But his bad game leaves us with a 3-0 win, Rafferty's last shocker and we lost 3-0.

End of the day, the guy has been largely excellent for 4 seasons, and we still have fans crowing for Rafferty? When I look down the list of right backs in the division, I really struggle to see players who offer as much going forward whilst still being good defensively. Max Aarons and Henrik Dalsgaard are probably the only two
I'm not talking about the past. I'm talking about now, this season.

If he gets back to where he was - great.

Yes he's one of the best when he performs. But only when he performs, when he doesn't, he's as ineffective as anyone and (arguably) a liability.

But right now, he's living on the legend you are referring to.

Status
Not open for further replies.