PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Original Gentry, etc..

WFG too

Cult Hero
I'm on with a bit of a project and after tales from any old guard that went on the FA Cup game North End v Man U in '72, & the LC match, Crewe v North End at Anfield?

If you PM me I will forward my email - thanks in advance...

I'm on with a bit of a project and after tales from any old guard that went on the FA Cup game North End v Man U in '72, & the LC match, Crewe v North End at Anfield?

I can remember my dad going to the Anfield match (FA Cuo incidentally) and it being the straw that broke the camel’s back for him. It took my mum a couple of years to let the primary school version of me go to games after what he told her about that night.

That era and the significant minority came very close to killing football.

I just missed going on Utd game, but the FA Cup replay at Anfield was let's say an interesting experience. 🤔😳

I was on the Man Utd match. 10 years old at the time and sat on the cinder track behind the Kop end goals. I don’t actually remember too much about it other than the Town End stand visually moving with all the united fans bouncing in unison. And obviously two late goals denying North End a replay at Old Trafford.

37,009 was the attendance I believe. I do remember also, going on the League game prior to the FA cup tie, which was against Orient. Everyone that attended that match got a programme at the turnstile that had a voucher to buy a ticket for the Man Utd match. More than 15,000 turned up for that league match.

I was on the Man Utd match. 10 years old at the time and sat on the cinder track behind the Kop end goals. I don’t actually remember too much about it other than the Town End stand visually moving with all the united fans bouncing in unison. And obviously two late goals denying North End a replay at Old Trafford.

37,009 was the attendance I believe. I do remember also, going on the League game prior to the FA cup tie, which was against Orient. Everyone that attended that match got a programme at the turnstile that had a voucher to buy a ticket for the Man Utd match. More than 15,000 turned up for that league match.
Deepdale would never see a crowd of that size again.

The match against Man Utd in 72 was a bit of a non-event - a dull game as I recall lost by a couple of late goals against an MUFC side in decline. The match in 66, though, was something quite different -a 1-1 draw against a team that round about the same time won an away European Cup game against Benfica 5-1 and with pretty much the same personnel actually won the European Cup two years later. We would I am confident have won it had not Nobby Stiles put his knee into the midriff of Brian Godfrey as Godfrey went past him with a clear route to goal ahead with only a few minutes left. Our goal, of course, was scored by the great Alex Dawson -

I was sat on the cinder track behind the Kop goal as well. Right hand side facing the pitch.
Literally can't remember anything else.

I was on both games but I think a lot of the Anfield trouble was started by scousers because we had been allocated the Kop and they objected.
Have to say we managed to avoid the worst of it and we did win 😁, 3-0 if I remember right.
That didn't go down well with the scousers who had chosen to support Crewe.

The match against Crewe when Harry Catterick encouraged PNE fans to “take over the Kop” I remember going with a mate from work and taking my young nephew.
We were stood about half way up just behind the “family groups” when all of a sudden you could hear a faint chant of “Liverpool Liverpool “ getting louder all the time.
Next thing from one corner there was Liverpool fans pouring on to the ground.
All the PNE boys were to the back and Liverpool fans swept through like a tornado and the battle raged on behind us, they drove the PNE lads towards the far end were a big fence that sectioned off the boys enclosure and then down till they reached the bottom and they scrambled over the wall into the paddock were the stewards were trying to throw them back into the Kop.
On their way down I saw one guy when they reached the wall that surrounded the exit steps pushed over on to the steps below, his feet came up in the air then just dropped, I don’t know how he got on but I would be surprised if he wasn’t badly injured.

It was strange really because all the front of the Kop was filled with families but the scousers never bothered us, there was some chanting of Everton from the PNE fans to rile the Liverpool guys.
After about another 15/20 minutes they seemed happy that they had showed who’s Kop it was and just cleared off.
Wouldn’t be surprised though if they were waiting at Lime St for after the game.

I just missed going on Utd game, but the FA Cup replay at Anfield was let's say an interesting experience. 🤔😳
The memory of the Utd game is blurred as I was on the cinder track, I vaguely remember the home game before which was perhaps Orient. My brother went in and out over the turnstiles to get the precious vouchers for the Utd game. Memories!

The match against Crewe when Harry Catterick encouraged PNE fans to “take over the Kop” I remember going with a mate from work and taking my young nephew.
We were stood about half way up just behind the “family groups” when all of a sudden you could hear a faint chant of “Liverpool Liverpool “ getting louder all the time.
Next thing from one corner there was Liverpool fans pouring on to the ground.
All the PNE boys were to the back and Liverpool fans swept through like a tornado and the battle raged on behind us, they drove the PNE lads towards the far end were a big fence that sectioned off the boys enclosure and then down till they reached the bottom and they scrambled over the wall into the paddock were the stewards were trying to throw them back into the Kop.
On their way down I saw one guy when they reached the wall that surrounded the exit steps pushed over on to the steps below, his feet came up in the air then just dropped, I don’t know how he got on but I would be surprised if he wasn’t badly injured.

It was strange really because all the front of the Kop was filled with families but the scousers never bothered us, there was some chanting of Everton from the PNE fans to rile the Liverpool guys.
After about another 15/20 minutes they seemed happy that they had showed who’s Kop it was and just cleared off.
Wouldn’t be surprised though if they were waiting at Lime St for after the game.
Pretty much how I recall it on the ground, I was somewhere near the centre of the Kop with my dad and his mate and lad.
Alot of people not involved just got shoved over, knocked to the ground in the mayhem.
Many Preston fans to the front of the Kop just jumped over the perimeter wall and went in to the paddock just to avoid the trouble.
Every thing in the ground subsided after about 15 minutes, not sure if the scousers went in the Crewe end or just back to the local pub, I'd imagine the second one being favourite.
Many more stories from lads I know about the trip back to Lime Street station on both the local buses and the football special ones.
The scousers had also been waiting outside Lime Street to "meet and greet" the traveling North Enders, the scousers only just finishing their work experience or DIY courses, having their work equipment and knife named after the local park about their person. 🙄

Last edited:
I was at the Man Utd game back in ‘72 curtesy of John Bird. I remember the Man Utd fans after the final whistle had gone spilling on to the pitch, tearing up bits of the pitch and throwing it into the West Stand. We were on MOTD that night and watching that you’d have thought it was all Man Utd but the Sunday Papers headline on the back page reporting the game gave the headline ‘The day the cameras lied’

I was at both matches.
The Anfield match is still my worst ever football experience. The violence (by scousers) was horrendous.
Totally agree...... I got chased around lime street station after the game.....

Walton and Wisemen Say give good accounts of goings on against Crewe above. Just add going in, many young scallys on hands and knees begging us to let them crawl in as we went through the turnstiles. I too was mid cop, a couple of small groups of scousers on a couple of occasions came down from the back and were repelled by PNE fans. Nothing to write home about until the last wave and bedlam with people as described flowing down to the front of the stand and, in some cases, mine included, being forced over the wall and into the main paddock on our left where we watched the match in peace. Remember Ray Clemence came to watch the game and being in that paddock. After the game walking back to the rails station there were young kids in evidence again very kindly telling us as we passed dark alleys that they were a shortcut to the station. Thankfully didn’t see anyone taking their advice.

Don't remember too much about the Utd game as it was a bit of a non event unlike the previous round when we beat Bristol City 4-2 after trailing 1-2 with six minutes to go. I think Chippy Clark might have scored a hat trick (or at least two). Crowd was given as 37,000 as this was the stadium limit at the time.

Don't remember too much about the Utd game as it was a bit of a non event unlike the previous round when we beat Bristol City 4-2 after trailing 1-2 with six minutes to go. I think Chippy Clark might have scored a hat trick (or at least two). Crowd was given as 37,000 as this was the stadium limit at the time.
I remember this one. I was at the back of our Kop and many nobbers left early. When we equalised I looked over the back and could see them wondering whether to come back, then when we scored again they were running back. 🤣