PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Ryan Lowe's comments on Riis

When Neil was potted, Lowe was one of the people who I had wanted to be offered the job based on what he had achieved, albeit at a lower level. So far we are 10 months in to his reign and I'm totally and utterly indifferent to him.

But to suggest we pot him now is, in my opinion, a tad excessive. More important than that, I don't think things have turned toxic yet although as I mentioned on another thread, him publicly slagging off players does nobody any good.

In his defence, Lowe losing his right hand man probably didn't help him. Personally I don't think long-term he will succeed here for a couple of reasons; one is the shoe string budget, the other is that I don't think he's a "project" manager. With the exception of Lindsay (who would still probably struggle in a back four) and Potts (who still isn't a good enough right back, not his fault), I can't think of any other players who have improved under Lowe. Conversely, I can think of several who have gone backwards or stale.

That for me is where the problem for Lowe will lie; we have zilch budget and the only way he (or anyone) will succeed at this club is if he starts to develop the younger players that we have at the club over the next couple of seasons. Grayson managed it with no money, so it is possible. However, the club in their infinite wisdom seem to think filling up the squad with unproven Premier League youngster loans is a better (and no doubt cheaper) way forward, which in my mind will continue to deteriorate the quality of our own playing squad over the years to come.

Personally, I'd take stock of the situation over the winter break. The fact the club won't pay to fix a leaking roof suggests that they won't pay to pot off a manager who so far isn't in a relegation scrap.

It's the old adage,
what do you do if life gives you lemons?
Ans : Make Lemonade.

Only a fool would say 'I don't like lemonade, so I am going to use those lemons to make Steak Dianne'.
You don't have the ingredients to make Steak Dianne!!....and trying to do so using lemons would be disastrous and a total waste of said perfectly usable lemons, if only you have the intelligence to use them for what they are designed to do.

It's the old adage,

Only a fool would say 'I don't like lemonade, so I am going to use those lemons to make Steak Dianne'.
You don't have the ingredients to make Steak Dianne!!....and trying to do so using lemons would be disastrous and a total waste of said perfectly usable lemons, if only you have the intelligence to use them for what they are designed to do.

7FC74796-DF42-46AD-AFA8-0A52BB5C69D9.jpeg

It's the old adage,

We definitely have a squad full of lemons. I think the problem is, some people don't like the lemonade, even though it's probably as good as it's going to get.

@norky84

It's been obvious for months that you want Lowe Out yet you never offer up his replacement.

Why?
I'd rather have Neil Critchley and Chris Davies (Leicester coach) being 2 that I'm aware of who are really highly rated coaches, with Critchley doing a great job at Blackpool with their budget.

Look at the top of the league now. A coach from Villa, a Danish coach who last managed in Sweden, a coach from Anderlecht. Few if many fans would have suggested them as replacement managers.

I'd rather have Neil Critchley and Chris Davies (Leicester coach) being 2 that I'm aware of who are really highly rated coaches, with Critchley doing a great job at Blackpool with their budget.

Look at the top of the league now. A coach from Villa, a Danish coach who last managed in Sweden, a coach from Anderlecht. Few if many fans would have suggested them as replacement managers.

I find it very weird that someone who is so anti Lowe is very pro Southgate. Two similar managers in the way they are trying to make us play 3 at the back and at the minute in certain games we are very defence minded.

The only difference is with Lowe we have virtually 0 decent attacking options- Riis maybe. Under Southgate we have plenty. So is Lowe holding this team back. Not at all.

Would another manager give us the identity we need. No because we still have a lot
Of shit players.

Yep. At no stage this season have I thought that Ainsworth would have done much better. Critchley would have been great but wouldn't have come.

Yep. At no stage this season have I thought that Ainsworth would have done much better. Critchley would have been great but wouldn't have come.

He might now.

To be fair it would be funny as fuck if Lowe went and then we appointed critchley. Would piss them lots of loads.

I find it very weird that someone who is so anti Lowe is very pro Southgate. Two similar managers in the way they are trying to make us play 3 at the back and at the minute in certain games we are very defence minded.

The only difference is with Lowe we have virtually 0 decent attacking options- Riis maybe. Under Southgate we have plenty. So is Lowe holding this team back. Not at all.

Would another manager give us the identity we need. No because we still have a lot
Of shit players.
Well Southgate managed to take a team with Harry Maguire starting to a World Cup Semi Final, and our first major final for the first time since 1966. So I think Southgate can have a bit of slack until after the World Cup.

And more importantly, under Southgate we aren't just limited to 3 at the back. We've played a lot of games with 4 at the back under Southgate, including some games at the last Euros.

And yes, you can have average players who over achieve under excellent coaching. Luton Town being an example.

We're 11th with a bottom 4 budget, I'd say that things are going pretty well.
In addition, We're mid-table championship with a League 2 supporter base. So what's up? Enjoy the good times, because how much better do you really think it can get?

In addition, We're mid-table championship with a League 2 supporter base. So what's up? Enjoy the good times, because how much better do you really think it can get?
Odd way to characterise 14,000 home fans and a very healthy away support.

The bottom-4 budget is a choice, and the 11th place is misleading because we've played 17 games.

League 2 supporter base? You've got to be joking !!

If we’re League 2, what does that make Luton and Blackpool and Blackburn?

Well Southgate managed to take a team with Harry Maguire starting to a World Cup Semi Final, and our first major final for the first time since 1966. So I think Southgate can have a bit of slack until after the World Cup.

And more importantly, under Southgate we aren't just limited to 3 at the back. We've played a lot of games with 4 at the back under Southgate, including some games at the last Euros.

And yes, you can have average players who over achieve under excellent coaching. Luton Town being an example.

He also managed to lose a final by going 1-0 up, refusing to make many changes until it was too late. In the big games - the games that matter he is too negative. It’s ok playing 4 at the back against Ukraine and Scotland but in the big games in he bottles it.

See now you are bringing me onto the point I made originally. An excellent coach won’t make ched and maguire into excellent strikers - three managers have failed with this. And if we want to ‘over achieve’ in these league we need players with some quality.

And notice I didn’t mention the word average. I mentioned the word shit. We have shit players - a lot of them. At least Nathan Collins has something to work with.

Also notice that Luton backed their manager this summer. We didn’t. Fucking Luton managed to spend money. It’s ok though we paid the tax man.

As @baysidepne said once on FTF, it's very rare that anyone does get to 20 these days and those who have done it at this level are big, big names. Tami Abraham, Ivan Toney, Mitrovic, Solanke, etc. Certainly not anyone we can afford.

If Riis keeps his shite form up, on current form he gets 12. If he improves slightly and goes on a run its 15. If he turns his form around he can probably hit 17 again. (all league).

Sorry but that is really, really impressive. I don't see how the fact that he is a confidence player means he isn't a massive asset to us. He is. Even if he gets just 15 this year, in a side that has struggled, it's impressive, it turns heads of the Championship big boys.

I get that for a lot of fans, they just don't like the fact that he is a quiet lad. I think you just play to a player's strengths of they have quality. I wouldn't play Sean Gregan as a number 10, it doesn't mean he didn't have quality.

Riis is a very capable finisher.... What he hasn't got is enough supply.. Even Lowe eluded to that in the interview so he's not that daft and sees where it's all falling down. Wtf he can do about it without backing is another issue because to my mind he certainly hasn't the tools to do the job. He may well fail if backed but we can't slag him when he isn't because it's plain daft... .

We've hardly scored a goal this season and even that's only because our slow, pedestrian, sideways and backwards style of play sends the opposition to sleep occasionally and we nick a goal. It's so tedious and frustrating
Thats not a fair account of Saturday H. We do appear to be able to up the tempo when necessary... Granted it went tits up but it was far from pedestrian.. As said before though when your " past it " left back now centre half goes off and you fall apart then you do have to wonder why...