PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Summer 2022 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

I have been reading Shanks autobiography and now I'm on Cloughie, some amazing tails but so many disliked Clough. Shanks biggest love apart from Nessie (wife) was Sir Tom.
Have a read of Archie Gemmils - One chapter on his time at Preston, he lived in Lytham as I recall, he and his wife hated Preston.
Re Shankly - Did you know that Toshack got him in to give Swansea a pre match team talk prior to the 1981 last match of season at Deepdale. Best team talk ever heard by a number of ex pros at Swansea.

At one time keegan played more wide and Heighway would run at defenders where ever.... but they operated generally with keegan loitering around where tosh would lay the ball off. Heighway famously on the left wing v arsenal in Cup final
Correct! My comment was a feeble attempt at satire, following an earlier spat between fellow posters.

It is a long time since the numbers on players' back meant anything - they can now just be a player's favourite or 'lucky' number. I think the time numbers had any significance goes back to when teams had a nominal 2.3.5 formation like this:

GK
2RB 3LB
4RH 5CH 6LH7
RW 8IR 9CF 10IL 11LW

as in:

Kelly
Ross Smith
Lawton SIngleton Kendall
Wilson Ashworth Dawson Spavin Holden

But even then it was a 4.4.2 with Ross and Smith flanking SIngleton and Kendall, Lawton and Spavin as the midfield duo of 'driver' and 'schemer' and Wilson and Holden putting over the crosses for Ashworth and the Black Prince Alex Dawson to put away. As I recall that was the team that started the 64-65 season after the Cup Final - a home match against Rotherham that saw us reduced to ten men after only about ten minutes when Dawson twisted his ankle and that ended 0-0. Pre-even a single sub then, of course, never mind the five we can have now.

I don't think securing one of the RWBs mentioned is unrealistic.

Archer maybe so to a lesser extent but wouldn't surprise me if he's allowed to leave on loan.

Robbo seems the most unrealistic at this moment in time given the impasse.

The going up comment was very tongue in cheek.
I believe we need another striker as to who it could be maybe Robinson.WBA want rid of him permanently and I would imagine our initial enquiry was to take him on loan.A lot of speculation on here as to what they want for him most of it purely guesswork. Of course if he asked for a transfer things would change but I doubt he will with 3 years left on his contract.I don’t expect any more activity till the end of the window.

It is a long time since the numbers on players' back meant anything - they can now just be a player's favourite or 'lucky' number. I think the time numbers had any significance goes back to when teams had a nominal 2.3.5 formation like this:

GK
2RB 3LB
4RH 5CH 6LH7
RW 8IR 9CF 10IL 11LW

as in:

Kelly
Ross Smith
Lawton SIngleton Kendall
Wilson Ashworth Dawson Spavin Holden

But even then it was a 4.4.2 with Ross and Smith flanking SIngleton and Kendall, Lawton and Spavin as the midfield duo of 'driver' and 'schemer' and Wilson and Holden putting over the crosses for Ashworth and the Black Prince Alex Dawson to put away. As I recall that was the team that started the 64-65 season after the Cup Final - a home match against Rotherham that saw us reduced to ten men after only about ten minutes when Dawson twisted his ankle and that ended 0-0. Pre-even a single sub then, of course, never mind the five we can have now.
Love your posts Kendal came in for Davidson? Ashworth for Godfrey?
Bet we're boring the pants of most posters.
I'm new to this forum, becomes addictive.

5 for a CB would probably be a carryover from the 'centre half' always wearing that number.

We played Palace at home in the 1960s and their manager was a guy called Bert Head. He literally threw all ten outfield shirts into the middle of the dressing room pre game and told his players to take one. That, for me, was the earliest attempt to try and confuse the opposition as to who was playing where. Of course, back then, there were no player names on the back of shirts.

You're right, the numbering system now means nowt.
That's what happened when I played in the 70s / 80s.

Have a read of Archie Gemmils - One chapter on his time at Preston, he lived in Lytham as I recall, he and his wife hated Preston.
Re Shankly - Did you know that Toshack got him in to give Swansea a pre match team talk prior to the 1981 last match of season at Deepdale. Best team talk ever heard by a number of ex pros at Swansea.
Archie lived next door to Graham Hawkins and a few doors away from Clive Clarke. I was on the same road as a kid.

Love your posts Kendal came in for Davidson? Ashworth for Godfrey?
Bet we're boring the pants of most posters.
I'm new to this forum, becomes addictive.

Godfrey came in for Ashworth in 1964-1965. Ashworth suffered an ACL injury from which he never fully recovered.

I believe we need another striker as to who it could be maybe Robinson.WBA want rid of him permanently and I would imagine our initial enquiry was to take him on loan.A lot of speculation on here as to what they want for him most of it purely guesswork. Of course if he asked for a transfer things would change but I doubt he will with 3 years left on his contract.I don’t expect any more activity till the end of the window.
I expect Bruce to leave before Robbo.

This is something I've never understood - surely if you were attaching numbers to that diagram, you'd number them from left to right. i.e. the complete opposite of what's there.

But instead it seems to be numbered from the opposition's view point.
Ah, Japanese numbering!
British built ships always numbered pumps etc port to stbd, whereas Japanese built ships numbered from stbd to port.
Confusion reigned quite a few times!

5 for a CB would probably be a carryover from the 'centre half' always wearing that number.

We played Palace at home in the 1960s and their manager was a guy called Bert Head. He literally threw all ten outfield shirts into the middle of the dressing room pre game and told his players to take one. That, for me, was the earliest attempt to try and confuse the opposition as to who was playing where. Of course, back then, there were no player names on the back of shirts.

You're right, the numbering system now means nowt.

That's what happened when I played in the 70s / 80s.
I played 80's and early 90s. In one game in the early 80s, our manager, who thought he was a master tactician, got all the strikers and attacking midfielders to wear numbers, 2,3,4,5 and 6 and vice versa for the defensive players, we were playing 433. After about 8 minutes, with the score at 0-0, he shouts for everyone to revert to their proper positions.
Great masterplan it turned out to be, we got beat 4 or 5 nil.

Good Welshman Godfrey!
Different game in those days, somewhat brutal on muddy pitches with a sodden case ball that comparable to a cannonball.

Thing is we had a talented 17-year-old that played in the Cup Final at Wembley and become a first team regular until his transfer to Everton when he was 21.

Today a 17 year hardly gets 10 mins on the pitch, the game is less physical, faster for sure, but why is it always 'It will ruin their development'?

Our manager, who thought he was a master tactician, got all the strikers and attacking midfielders to wear numbers, 2,3,4,5 and 6 and vice versa for the defensive players, we were playing 433. After about 8 minutes, with the score at 0-0, he shouts for everyone to revert to their proper positions.
Great masterplan it turned out to be, we got beat 4 or 5 nil.

That's the exact same reason I'm now managing East Cheam and not Real Madrid 😂

Different game in those days, somewhat brutal on muddy pitches with a sodden case ball that comparable to a cannonball.

Thing is we had a talented 17-year-old that played in the Cup Final at Wembley and become a first team regular until his transfer to Everton when he was 21.

Today a 17 year hardly gets 10 mins on the pitch, the game is less physical, faster for sure, but why is it always 'It will ruin their development'?
Best player never to play for England. I began my football journey as a midfield player and would spend hours copying his recovery run slide tackle. He wasn't a bad manager as I recall.

I've noticed it seems to go dead after a few of us 'old-timers' start chatting about the sixties / seventies.
Any chance of a new thread 'Memory Lane' I haven't a clue how to start it.

Best atmosphere I've ever witnessed at Deepdale was when Alan Ball was manager. Alan Kelly was taken off (dislocated shoulder or similar)
5 minutes later Kelly was back on with his arm in a sling playing right wing and making a good stab of it. It was a key match, can't remember why. Sadly that was Kelly's last match.