PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Summer 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Liam Delap loan won’t help us trying to get City players with him not playing regularly
I'd absolutely take Delap back on loan again if we have the chance too. I'd take all 3 of our loan strikers back, with Parrott as 10 though.
I'd have gone 3-4-1-2 after our winter recruitment, looking like this:
Woodman
Storey - Diaby - Greg/Hughes
Potts - Browne - Whiteman - Alvaro
Parrott/DJ
Cannon - Delap​

I'd absolutely take Delap back on loan again if we have the chance too. I'd take all 3 of our loan strikers back, with Parrott as 10 though.
Woodman
Parrott/DJ
Cannon - Delap​
But thats last years team and it was not good enough, not even close.
I respect what you have to say and would love Alvaro back 👍🏼

But thats last years team and it was not good enough, not even close.
I respect what you have to say and would love Alvaro back 👍🏼
What is even scarier is that from that team we probably only have the following who are proven at this level and almost definitely with us in August.

Woodman
Storey
Hughes
Potts
Browne

5 players

Woodman
Parrott/DJ
Cannon - Delap​
Those 3 strikers helped contribute to one of our lowest scoring seasons. I certainly wouldn’t take all 3 of them back

I recall posting about his poor shot accuracy at prior to him joining. His time here wasn't a huge improvement.

At PNE 47 shots. 15 on target. 32% ratio. Millwall was certainly worse. 15 shots. 3 on target. 20% ratio. It's not good enough for a striker.

I think his head is always looking down too often, he holds on to the ball too long, is greedier than he should be and hardly ever seems to connect sweetly with the ball.

A combined total of 62 shots at championship level. Resulting in 3 goals.

His stint at Ipswich in L1 was equally as poor. 24 shots. 7 on target. 29% ratio.

It was only at MK Dons in L1 that he showed any real improvement. 86 shots. 37 on target. 43% ratio. But... Only 8 goals. Not great.
I once tried to research shot/target stats. To predict the probability of scoring in the next match. And guess what? No statistical validity :) A team can hit 1 shot, score 1 goal, and win. The other team can hit 10 shots, all 10 will be on target, but no goal.
That's why I personally don't pay attention to this ratio.

Those 3 strikers helped contribute to one of our lowest scoring seasons. I certainly wouldn’t take all 3 of them back
My conclusions would be that at present Parrot is a league one striker, Delap should stick to U23s for a season and Cannon is up to our level but certainly not at Everton’s as it stands.

Reactions: OB1
I once tried to research shot/target stats. To predict the probability of scoring in the next match. And guess what? No statistical validity :) A team can hit 1 shot, score 1 goal, and win. The other team can hit 10 shots, all 10 will be on target, but no goal.
That's why I personally don't pay attention to this ratio.
Predicting the probability of a certain player scoring in the next match is pretty futile. But if you're an attacking player who statistically over a number of seasons at a number of clubs doesn't regularly hit the target, I think it's worth noting.

Parrott to me is a support player rather than a proper no.9. He's only young still so there's chance he'll improve. But his stats don't fill me with any confidence that will happen. And his head is never up - always staring at the ball.

LIkewise a guy like Woodburn who has played in a very attacking role last season only scored 1 goal. But when he only hit 5 of his 35 shots on target that's no real surprise to me.

We can potentially explain all these poor stats away in the sense of our tactics and brand simply not creating great chances.

Johnson scored 1 goal too (a penalty) and only had 2 shots on target all season from 19 attempts. We know DJ is more capable than that. But for what ever reason this brand didn't get the best out of a lot of players last season.

Predicting the probability of a certain player scoring in the next match is pretty futile. But if you're an attacking player who statistically over a number of seasons at a number of clubs doesn't regularly hit the target, I think it's worth noting.

Parrott to me is a support player rather than a proper no.9. He's only young still so there's chance he'll improve. But his stats don't fill me with any confidence that will happen. And his head is never up - always staring at the ball.

LIkewise a guy like Woodburn who has played in a very attacking role last season only scored 1 goal. But when he only hit 5 of his 35 shots on target that's no real surprise to me.

We can potentially explain all these poor stats away in the sense of our tactics and brand simply not creating great chances.

Johnson scored 1 goal too (a penalty) and only had 2 shots on target all season from 19 attempts. We know DJ is more capable than that. But for what ever reason this brand didn't get the best out of a lot of players last season.
I agree. Especially if the player only stares at the ball and does not look around, does not up his head. What will he see? Just the ball.

Which is why he'll never be an effective support striker either - can't score, can't spot colleagues in positions to score.

My conclusions would be that at present Parrot is a league one striker, Delap should stick to U23s for a season and Cannon is up to our level but certainly not at Everton’s as it stands.

Personally, I think Delap would score a tonne of goals if he got a full season under his belt. His movement was always very good its just we never seemed to find him.

I wouldn't mind taking him back for another year if I'm honest.

Interesting that the Rovers Director Of Football commented a few weeks ago about the expected changes to signing foreign players and stated it would shape their summer recruitment. Hopefully MRKT Insights have 4 good 'uns lined up for us?

Which is why he'll never be an effective support striker either - can't score, can't spot colleagues in positions to score.
I’d agree with this. We missed as many chances from his shocking decision making around goal as we did from his actual misses. Millwall away was probably his worst game, must’ve seen 6 or 7 attacks break down at his feet

I think his good work ethic off the ball, somewhat offsets the weaknesses when on the ball. So that's why I think a support role suits him more. Especially in a team who aren't gonna control possession.

He's only recently turned 21. I dunno what his mental state or confidence was like last season. Certainly in the first month of the season he was probably our best player. Things quickly tailed off though and I do wonder what was to blame for that.

If you listen to Monakana's recent interview on FTF he speaks alot about how he needed more guidance and care as a youngster. And I think that's something a player like Parrott simply will not get at north end cos we don't invest in that side of the game.

Monakana said "what is happening at Brighton now was always gonna happen". Behind the scenes the staff side was day and night different. At north end there was no player liaison, no real chef, no coaches or therapist just for you. Football is 99% mentality... the care of the young players was so key to Brighton".

Interesting that the Rovers Director Of Football commented a few weeks ago about the expected changes to signing foreign players and stated it would shape their summer recruitment. Hopefully MRKT Insights have 4 good 'uns lined up for us?
tbh, I doubt we'd qualify for the full 4 - but everyone gets 2 slots, so we have no GBE/Brexit excuse for MRKT Insights not finding us any of their much-trumpeted worldwide gems.

tbh, I doubt we'd qualify for the full 4 - but everyone gets 2 slots, so we have no GBE/Brexit excuse for MRKT Insights not finding us any of their much-trumpeted worldwide gems.

They'll have been gutted at having to change the settings and re-start their Football Manager 2023 career last night, with PNE in the semis of the Champion's League and Kitt Nelson having just overtaken Harry Kane's England goals record.

Status
Not open for further replies.