PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

This corona virus thing...

Just seen something saying 50% of all Covid cases were spread by pre symptomatic patients. And that’s why a vaccine is so vital

6% asymptomatic

You just bully it into mutating into a less vicious strain or only rearing it’s head at certain points in a year

So the idea of eradicating it is a rather misleading concept and gives an impression that its all or nothing i.e. if some people dont comply (anti vaxxers) then theyre exposing us all to a continuation of something vicious. But if the most vulnerable are protected, then by definition its a less vicious strain. As it is currently to the young.

Just seen something saying 50% of all Covid cases were spread by pre symptomatic patients. And that’s why a vaccine is so vital

6% asymptomatic
Thats the whole chicken pox thing isnt it? By the time you see the spots you have already stopped being contagious

You could be forgiven for thinking we're ushering a new era of cooperation and investment to eradicate all sorts of diseases. The response to Covid was unprecedented and big pharma came together to deliver the goods, driven by a massive dose of urgency & need from governments & industry.

But to think we'll suddenly eradicate other transmissible diseases, flu, cancers, this way, is fanciful. Pfizer were happy to jump the gun and invest huge sums in manufacturing all these doses specifically because governments & regulators told them the door was open. Hurry up chaps, quick as you can please.

But we'll soon be back to business as usual where the demand isn't such a threat to mankind and the business case has to be made before the vast sums are invested in drug discovery, R&D, clinical trials & manufacture. Where typically there can be a lot of friction between manufacturers and regulators.

Unless covid mk2 strikes, I'm inclined to think this was a one-off.

So the idea of eradicating it is a rather misleading concept and gives an impression that its all or nothing i.e. if some people dont comply (anti vaxxers) then theyre exposing us all to a continuation of something vicious. But if the most vulnerable are protected, then by definition its a less vicious strain. As it is currently to the young.
Pretty much. Control, as much immunity as possible, a treatment if possible

Then start looking at eradication

You could be forgiven for thinking we're ushering a new era of cooperation and investment to eradicate all sorts of diseases. The response to Covid was unprecedented and big pharma came together to deliver the goods, driven by a massive dose of urgency & need from governments & industry.

But to think we'll suddenly eradicate other transmissible diseases, flu, cancers, this way, is fanciful. Pfizer were happy to jump the gun and invest huge sums in manufacturing all these doses specifically because governments & regulators told them the door was open. Hurry up chaps, quick as you can please.

But we'll soon be back to business as usual where the demand isn't such a threat to mankind and the business case has to be made before the vast sums are invested in drug discovery, R&D, clinical trials & manufacture. Where typically there can be a lot of friction between manufacturers and regulators.

Unless covid mk2 strikes, I'm inclined to think this was a one-off.
I think the biggest thing about this vaccine is that it can be easily adapted to treat other coronaviruses

I think the biggest thing about this vaccine is that it can be easily adapted to treat other coronaviruses
But if you think about other zoonotic viruses in a similar vein to covid, we had SARS that killed (only) 774 people, and MERS that killed 858. People seem reluctant to compare covid to Flu (e.g. JVT was tonight) because it can come across as dismissing the threat, but it's one of the closest things we have in terms of year-on-year, global infection.

And although we routinely measure things like lost productivity and deaths to flu, it never comes close to shutting down our world, and neither did SARS or MERS.

So really, what's the imperative to go full steam ahead converting the covid vaccine to the next respiratory virus? I sense it will depend far more on our actual response to it, than the actual virus itself. e.g. other coronaviruses already exist, we know exactly what they are, with full genetic profiles, but who's developing vaccines for them...?

But if you think about other zoonotic viruses in a similar vein to covid, we had SARS that killed (only) 774 people, and MERS that killed 858. People seem reluctant to compare covid to Flu (e.g. JVT was tonight) because it can come across as dismissing the threat, but it's one of the closest things we have in terms of year-on-year, global infection.

And although we routinely measure things like lost productivity and deaths to flu, it never comes close to shutting down our world, and neither did SARS or MERS.

So really, what's the imperative to go full steam ahead converting the covid vaccine to the next respiratory virus? I sense it will depend far more on our actual response to it, than the actual virus itself. e.g. other coronaviruses already exist, we know exactly what they are, with full genetic profiles, but who's developing vaccines for them...?
It comes down to the nature of the virus though no? It was established early on that there was a high rate of infection and it was a particularly lethal strain where things like SARS and MERS were one or the other.

I'm less concerned about us seeing another Covid type virus any time soon. I genuinely believe the next real pandemic will come from a pre-historic virus due to the melting of the ice lands

It comes down to the nature of the virus though no? It was established early on that there was a high rate of infection and it was a particularly lethal strain where things like SARS and MERS were one or the other.

I'm less concerned about us seeing another Covid type virus any time soon. I genuinely believe the next real pandemic will come from a pre-historic virus due to the melting of the ice lands
Then we'll get medieval on its ass.

What's the chance of a generic vaccine that works against a whole class (corona virus) of viruses?

It's the thought of having that mini silicon chip injected into me and then being forever controlled by the 5g masts, obeying every order from the government without batting an eyelid.
The vaccine designed to track people with microchips is being administered to over 80s confined to care homes first, because they’re the ones we really need to watch, really bad buggers are them lot.

They already know about your basement twister sessions Mark, and the fact they haven’t done anything about it seems to indicate they’re happy to leave you to things
That's because they love the weekly DVD I send them, the dirty old pervs.
Probably isn’t a patch on the debauchery and shit MPs have covered up at Westminster frankly

What's the chance of a generic vaccine that works against a whole class (corona virus) of viruses?
The spike protein is unique to each coronavirus, so it's unlikely that a generic vaccine could stimulate the same immune response. But saying that, from this current vaccine it's technically a much smaller leap to build the next. But as I said before, it would depend on the clinical and commercial imperative to make it happen.

As far as I am aware, the main focus of the vaccines is reducing the symptoms - making it less likely that people will end up in ICU or die. This could slow transmission, but it isn't certain. If it has limited effect on reducing transmission, then the percentage of people taking it becomes less important.

Plus, herd immunity for this virus is likely to be on a sliding scale - rather than saying that we must hit 70% or it doesn't work at all.

Just a thought and not one I’d considered too much until this week.

I think we all know, or knew, an old person in relatively poor health. I would imagine a fair proportion of those people will have uttered words like ‘I’m only keeping going for the joy my grandchildren bring me’. As most of those people haven’t been able to get that joy, how many have simply given up and passed away? And I know there’s no such medical term as ‘given up’ but mental health and wanting to fight on is surely a big contributory factor into the length of time some people manage to survive exceptionally serious illness?
Could well be something in that - have seen anecdotal evidence and also some research suggesting this could be the case. One of the potential indirect side effects of shielding and lockdown.