PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Transfer Window Overview - January 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested to see this seasons playing record with/without Davies. Lose him and it will be a precipitous downward slide

Message to Mr Hemmings.

We‘ve just won 3 on the trot and our next 6 games are:

Forest (h)
Bristol City (a)
Birmingham (a)
Reading (h)
Sheffield Wednesday (a)
Rotherham (h)

For once in your life, give our Manager the support he needs and get it sorted early doors. The next 6 games are all winnable, which makes this window all the more important. I think we all know what will happen and it could be another opportunity that passes us by.

I would be interested to see this seasons playing record with/without Davies. Lose him and it will be a precipitous downward slide
14 starts, 6 wins, 2 draws*, 6 defeats = 20pts, 1.42 points per game.
*substituted at 2-1 v Norwich, drew 2-2

8 games missed, 4 wins, 4 defeats = 12pts, 1.5 points per game.

However. Since he's come back into the team post-injury, 5 wins, 1 draw, 3 defeats (16/27). 1.77 points-per-game. That includes the horror show at Watford when we had bare bones in his first game back too.

Mentioned it in other thread but how realistic would someone like Ollie Norwood be on six month loan if Pearson or Davies go to Sheffield United? Multiple promotions from this level and from just up the road.

Said Grosicki aswell but probably too ambitious and he'll end up at a team in the actual relegation zone....

To be serious about top 6 those are the sort of loan signings you have to make as Swansea did with Conor Gallagher and Brewster this time last year.

For all the bluster and buy him and spend this and sign contracts I feel a little caution is required.

The income at all clubs has been drastically reduced, many boardrooms are worrying more about how to pay wages and bills rather than splashing the cash, many owners and backers are feeling the financial effects of this long term epidemic.

Broadcasters are not immune from this , French football has a serious problem now as their broadcaster has pulled out of the deal.

We have seen very little talk of transfers with the window only a day or so away, interesting to see if very little happens in January.

And as for those players running contracts down, well it’s a massive gamble chaps, you ought to think again, with no income likely through gates and advertisers and broadcasters being prudent then with most clubs it will be a matter of survival for next season and not splashing the cash. I’m sure there are many clubs running on hope and shoestrings currently.

None of us know how this epidemic has affected the wealth of our owner so it’s a bit naive to be expecting him to splash the cash on transfers when he’s spending on keeping the club afloat.

Sometimes it’s good to just be grateful for what you have.

For all the bluster and buy him and spend this and sign contracts I feel a little caution is required.

The income at all clubs has been drastically reduced, many boardrooms are worrying more about how to pay wages and bills rather than splashing the cash, many owners and backers are feeling the financial effects of this long term epidemic.

Broadcasters are not immune from this , French football has a serious problem now as their broadcaster has pulled out of the deal.

We have seen very little talk of transfers with the window only a day or so away, interesting to see if very little happens in January.

And as for those players running contracts down, well it’s a massive gamble chaps, you ought to think again, with no income likely through gates and advertisers and broadcasters being prudent then with most clubs it will be a matter of survival for next season and not splashing the cash. I’m sure there are many clubs running on hope and shoestrings currently.

None of us know how this epidemic has affected the wealth of our owner so it’s a bit naive to be expecting him to splash the cash on transfers when he’s spending on keeping the club afloat.

See my previous post which you have pretty much concurred with
I think our owner has trust inns within his portfolio, if so then that’s a significant investment which will have seen little if no profit in nine months albeit I may be wrong.
The balance between value and disposable income can be a slim tightrope, that said a football club is a hungry beast if it is to be kept match fit and healthy for the future thus further investment if we are to consider progression must be made in the January window, an easy statement to make and even easier to spend someone else’s money but non the less spend we must if we want to push on.
The probability is low I’d imagine but that does not make us not grateful for the investment to date, quite thankful really however enough is never enough in football.

Of the four contract difficulties, I'd be very sad to lose Browne and Pearson. Davies and Johnson both have ideas above their station as both can be disappointing and liable. Brown's versatility and work ethic are very good, as is his ability to score, and Pearson is excellent when played properly. Yes, like everyone, they have their faults, but they should get good deals from us.

Indeed. I’m grateful that he keeps the club running, we paid the tax man and bought a new training ground.

That doesn’t mean people shouldn’t be allowed to criticise what he does though.

I was grateful when my old boss employed me and paid me every month but if he did something I didn’t agree with, I told him.

Let's just write the season off and give up then.

As ever the Hemming's super fans are putting words into peoples mouths.

No one is demanding that he "splashes the cash".

What people and the manager particularly would like is for him to allow some much needed new blood and quality to be brought into the side, whilst supporting him in getting shut of some fringe players or players sat at home whilst being paid 500k a year.

Somehow despite playing poorly and some questionable management for the last couple of months we are in a decent position. However, if we stand still or even worse go backwards if we lose 4 or 2 key players we could easily start heading in the wrong direction.

Last edited:
Let's just write the season off and give up then.

As ever the Hemming's super fans are putting words into peoples mouths.

No one is demanding that he "splashes the cash".

What people and the manager particularly would like is for him to allow some much needed new blood and quality to be brought into the side, whilst supporting him in getting shut of some fringe players or players sat at home whilst being paid 500k a year.

Somehow despite playing poorly and some questionable management for the last couple of months we are in a decent position. However, if we stand still or even worse go backwards if we lose 4 or 2 key players we could easily start heading in the wrong direction.

I didn’t say anything at all about writing the season off, and neither am I a ‘ Hemmings super fan’.

I just tell it as I see it, and reacting to some fans who seem to totally ignore the financial problems that all clubs are experiencing.

I think your comments about playing poorly and questionable management are repeated on 75% of other clubs message boards in the Championship.

If we lose players then they will be replaced, whilst I would be sorry to see any of them go at least we haven’t forked out substantial fees to get them, I couldn’t see Rovers getting their investment in Brererton back, and at the end of the season it is highly likely there will be plenty of players around as replacements, I think these four are playing a dangerous game running their contracts down, it may not work as well in the current economic climate.

I think there is a lot more grief to come financially in football under Premiership level, including delayed payments and offset tax bills to pay.

Time will tell.

I didn’t say anything at all about writing the season off, and neither am I a ‘ Hemmings super fan’.

I just tell it as I see it, and reacting to some fans who seem to totally ignore the financial problems that all clubs are experiencing.

I think your comments about playing poorly and questionable management are repeated on 75% of other clubs message boards in the Championship.

If we lose players then they will be replaced, whilst I would be sorry to see any of them go at least we haven’t forked out substantial fees to get them, I couldn’t see Rovers getting their investment in Brererton back, and at the end of the season it is highly likely there will be plenty of players around as replacements, I think these four are playing a dangerous game running their contracts down, it may not work as well in the current economic climate.

I think there is a lot more grief to come financially in football under Premiership level, including delayed payments and offset tax bills to pay.

Time will tell.
"Time will tell".

If what you claim (and PR similarly claims) is correct, we should have no problem recruiting ready-made OoC Championship players in the summer - because we should be knee-deep in them. There'll be no excuses if we don't, in that case.

On the other hand, if you (and PR) are wrong, and the transfer market picks up post-vaccine, we could be about to lose 4 or 5 of our best players while banking on plentiful affordable possible replacements in the summer (not in January, note - so this season may well be de facto written off next month, we'll have to see) that may not exist when we get there.

Even worse, with Brexit and a potential Championship salary cap coming in, there could be serious disadvantages to clubs going into next summer light of a few key players.

Everyone will suddenly be fishing in the same dried-up old UK pool we've been plumbing for years, so we'll be forced to fight off even more competition to secure our usual bargain buys, and - if salaries are capped - players will be choosing clubs that look and feel ambitious and structured for success, rather than in managed decline with the best players running down their contracts.

I was thinking about our "budget constraints" yesterday as that's often given as a reason to be happy with where we are (ie we can't possibly compete at the top end because of our budget). Look at these players, signed within our budget fairly recently:
Cunningham - best LB in years, FREE
Hugill - eventually went for £9mill plus, cost £25k.
Bauer - FREE
Davies - Youth team, FREE
McGeady - best flair player in over a decade - LOAN
DJ - £50k
Robinson - minimal fee
Pearson - possibly best DM in league - £400k (roughly)

It's about SMART recruitment, not throwing millions around.

at least any player thinking should I sign for PNE or one of the other 2 champ teams linked to them might think we are a 'play off possible team not a relegation possible team after these last 3 games........ gives us a chance of competing with Barnsley for the odd signing !

I was thinking about our "budget constraints" yesterday as that's often given as a reason to be happy with where we are (ie we can't possibly compete at the top end because of our budget). Look at these players, signed within our budget fairly recently:
Cunningham - best LB in years, FREE
Hugill - eventually went for £9mill plus, cost £25k.
Bauer - FREE
Davies - Youth team, FREE
McGeady - best flair player in over a decade - LOAN
DJ - £50k
Robinson - minimal fee
Pearson - possibly best DM in league - £400k (roughly)

It's about SMART recruitment, not throwing millions around.
The devil's in the wages.

We could afford the wages of these players when we first signed them and they were unproven at this level.

The problem comes when they grow into established Championship players and the wages don't grow to match.

The devil's in the wages.

We could afford the wages of these players when we first signed them and they were unproven at this level.

The problem comes when they grow into established Championship players and the wages don't grow to match.
I understand this. My points are that it is possible to recruit very good players within our budget, and buying "proven" players isnt the only way to be successful. If we then use transfer income to pay better wages (which seems to have become our model), it is possible to build a very competitive squad.

If Browne's injury puts him out for a few weeks then a centre mid on loan becomes a priority.

Maybe we'll finally land that Callum Connolly who seems to be doing well at Fleetwood again.

Status
Not open for further replies.