PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

UK Politics

I would have if I could have. Wasnt an option. All Id say is that theres s constant pulling wool over peoples eyes concerning our state compared to our neighbours. Its a convenience and most everyone will buy into a story that well at least our neighbours are feeling the same pinch. Its bollocks. If Jeremy cnut was a French Minister and stated as he did today that he'd happily ditch the economy if it got inflation down, he'd be debagged on the spot as youve recognised above.
Boarded up shops?
You were in the centre of a world city.

I reckon our greatest weakness as a Nation is apathy... And I'm buggered if I can work out why that is. Any ideas?
ingrained culture where the plebs feel forelock tugging and cap doffing is the way to go.

If they trample on us its because its what we deserve,

Im sure I read that fifth of the shops are now boarded up
I’m not sure of the proportion, but it’s very significant.…. 20% sounds about right though from what I’ve seen recently. The Arcadia group had huge amounts of floor space and they’ve all gone and are still empty.

Was in Chelsea on Tuesday and the Kings Rd, Sloane Square and areas around were still booming. Oxford Street is really depressingly shitty these days.
I posted on another thread I think after being there last weekend. Some places are getting it right with the redevelopment and regeneration and some getting it terribly wrong. Round the back of Liverpool Street nice open areas and greenery, Spitalfields and Brick Lane were busy and lots of different stuff to see, shop and eat. Then Camden was just a scruffy hellhole of traffic, piles of rubbish on the street and touristsbeing sucked in for absolute tat. Weird how cyclical it’s becoming up there
as areas come in and out of fashion again.

Something in that. The French got deference out of their system with their revolution. They are not shy in letting the powers that be know.
We seem to be infantalised. We cant challenge the establishment, we are dependent on them and if we displease them bad things may happen, or so we are lead to believe.
See working class votes for Tories, makes no logical sense.
People might get arrested and miss coronation street or love island. .. not a chance.

The soul of our towns has been ripped out. You dont see that anywhere in the French provinces. Nowhere.
Not quite true but it is certainly far, far less prevalent than here.
1. They shop far less online
2. They are happier in towns/cities than we are. We like a garden.
3. There is a far greater disparity here between rich and poor areas
4. They’re fucking obsessed with food and I mean obsessed. To the point of mind-numbing two hour conversations about how good the radishes are raw with a bit of butter on them.

I could list things we do better but there’s no doubt that our towns and shopping centres are not great and there’s are not as affected by the issues ours face.

I wouldn't be against the idea of a students partner coming to stay with them.. I did say twice "whole family" suggesting that I meant a larger group 👍...............................................................

Some interesting relevant facts (presumably facts, anyway) from 1:50 onwards in this video clip from Question Time.

Not quite true but it is certainly far, far less prevalent than here.
1. They shop far less online
2. They are happier in towns/cities than we are. We like a garden.
3. There is a far greater disparity here between rich and poor areas
4. They’re fucking obsessed with food and I mean obsessed. To the point of mind-numbing two hour conversations about how good the radishes are raw with a bit of butter on them.

I could list things we do better but there’s no doubt that our towns and shopping centres are not great and there’s are not as affected by the issues ours face.

Agree mostly. Talking, not listening, in a self obsessed almost permanently offended manner seems to have reached critical levels.😸 Their obsessions do seem to keep the local economy going which on balance is a good thing i guess. Whereas our obsession on drinking cheaply and antisocially within our 4 walls or garden does the opposite and is not doing us much good healthwise either.

I’m only going to disagree on one thing. Drinking socially (pub) is thriving near me and when it is in the garden it’s also with friends and neighbours.

There are signs of problems in France with empty units in some towns, have a look around Brive (lovely place though). Also 100% occupancy is not a good thing. 95% is optimal I think. Their main issue is the loss of individual bakeries. Much like we are losing the traditional pub, their supermarkets are killing the small boulangerie.
Nonetheless I have yet to get out of my car in a French provincial town and feel I’ve stepped into the apocalypse.
Marseilles, Paris suburbs and HLM on the other hand.