PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

White surrender flags at Euxton

Why? I honestly don't get why it matters. Same as to his lack of smiling.

All I care about is what happens on the pitch.
Echo how others have answered. Obvs if a manager is a graceless git who leads us into the Champions League, then I’ll live with it!

But two points I’d make
1/ the two features are not completely independent. IMO, a manager who builds a good rapport with the fans will also likely be more of a people person - and likely do better with players and staff. And the feeling of connection and togetherness can get everyone through rocky periods (like now!) without everyone getting depressed and (in likelihood) dragging performance down further. Feel-good-factors affect results.

2/ do you take the same attitude to a country pub or on holiday? Are you only interested that the beer is good or the beds/pool are clean - even if landlord/hotel manager is devoid of character and as cold as a fish?

I don’t think he has lost the players at all. I do think he has probably lost the fans though. However, I think it’s the club that has lost both the manager and his players.
I agree... any team that has won 50% of its last 8 games can't have fallen out with the manager....

The next manager will lose some of the fans the first time he doesnt play X player in Y formation.

2/ do you take the same attitude to a country pub or on holiday? Are you only interested that the beer is good or the beds/pool are clean - even if landlord/hotel manager is devoid of character and as cold as a fish?
Completely off topic but I love cold, disinterested, openly moody customer service. Having worked in hospitality for years I love seeing someone have the guts to dispense with their customer service face and show just how bored and pissed off they are to be dealing with the demands of an assortment of knobheads for minimum wage.

Last edited:
Echo how others have answered. Obvs if a manager is a graceless git who leads us into the Champions League, then I’ll live with it!

But two points I’d make
1/ the two features are not completely independent. IMO, a manager who builds a good rapport with the fans will also likely be more of a people person - and likely do better with players and staff. And the feeling of connection and togetherness can get everyone through rocky periods (like now!) without everyone getting depressed and (in likelihood) dragging performance down further. Feel-good-factors affect results.

Pubs. Beer. Holiday. :cry:

Just read the BBC Sport report on the Derby - Middlesbrough game last night. Granted Derby are in a bad place, but still, it makes an interesting read.....

I agree... any team that has won 50% of its last 8 games can't have fallen out with the manager....

The next manager will lose some of the fans the first time he doesnt play X player in Y formation.

always bloody selective, we have won 5 league games out of the 13 played so far this season with 7 games lost, and here is another fact you probably can't won't see, players would rather spend time in the treatment room than playing for this grumpy tactical pygmy. Telling players to hold back and not try to get something out of a game when 2 down with still 40 mins to go is gross misconduct in my book.

Yep it creates a connection between the team and the fans myosie did it And Irvine and Brown to some degree, When Ferguson and medal winner came we lost our way and things became very toxic, after medal winner it was terrible, there was no connection whatsoever between the team and fans. Grayson brought that back. Sadly it seems like it’s slipping away again, we need to get back in the ground.
I don’t think there’s been a bigger disconnection between the players and fans than now for a very long time .

people say the players aren’t playing for the manager and in some degree that is right , but the impression I get is they aren’t playing for the club either. The manager is aloof and so are the players.

At present there is a group of players who think rightly or wrongly they are worth more. If they don’t want to be here get rid. I’m not interested where they go and how much they get. We need players and a manager with the club at the centre of their efforts.

im sick of hearing about the big 4, will they sign or won’t they. Sick of hearing Neil doesn’t want to be here.

the club, the manager and the players need the fans. It sometimes feels that they think it’s the other way round.

Of course what happens on the pitch is the most important thing.

However it’s nice for the fans to feel wanted and appreciated , like they’ve played a part.

Its not hard to walk over to an away end and clap the fans for a couple of minutes.

Grayson did this all the time and it went a hell of a long way with the supporters.
King Billy always gave us his fist pump.

Guaranteed a raucous positive reaction from the fans.

Would be incredibly tinpot. Even if you're unhappy with our current form or don't rate the manager, imho Alex Neil has always given his all to this club and acted with dignity and honesty throughout his tenure, whether things have been good or bad.

I think we are more respectful as a fanbase than protests, banners and fly pasts.

Agree.

These sorts of bed-sheet/fly by protests are cringeworthy at any club.

Pathetic suggestion really, especially with everything else going on in the world at the moment.

Honest question, why do people give a shit whether he connects with fans or not? I see this argument so frequently about Neil. Why does it matter?

I don’t really give a shit. Like you, I’m only ultimately bothered what happens on the pitch.

The manager could flick the Vs at the Town End every home game if we won for all I care.

But the reality is we don’t win every game, and the manager acknowledging the fans even with small gestures doesn’t go unnoticed and helps build an affinity between fans and team.

As much as acknowledging the fans - and having a generally positive demeanour on the touch line - are small details, they all point in the right direction.

Neil could do to work on both of those things.

King Billy always gave us his fist pump.

Guaranteed a raucous positive reaction from the fans.
Two players that geed up the fans - Hunts loved his fist pump but when the Town End had been quiet in the past Lindegaard would try and pump the stand up. Get Anders back as mascot tbh.