PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Peterborough United - 21/08/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Barnsley beating QPR 2-0, who up until now looked very strong. Literally every team would have a field day against us at the minute
I've seen more positivity, skill, energy, tenacity and will to win in 30 mins of this Barnsley side, than we've seen at North end in the last 12 months combined.

Barnsley don't have the best squad. They don't have the biggest wages. But, they also don't seem to accept the piss poor work ethic we demonstrate regularly.

You can be direct and have real purpose. It doesn't mean you just lump balls into the sky and hope for long throws.

I've seen more positivity, skill, energy, tenacity and will to win in 30 mins of this Barnsley side, than we've seen at North end in the last 12 months combined.

Barnsley don't have the best squad. They don't have the biggest wages. But, they also don't seem to accept the piss poor work ethic we demonstrate regularly.

You can be direct and have real purpose. It doesn't mean you just lump balls into the sky and hope for long throws.
Same with Boro. Play direct to a big man then have creative players all around him. We just have 5 hard workers up top

Would you be confident if you were playing with that group?
I think FM has to claim the squad is confident, because otherwise he'd be admitting those last 4 wins at the end of last season were meaningless.

FM's story goes - we did well in the last 8 games of last season, which were proper hard-fought games and not dead rubbers at all, so the squad has gelled and the lads are all fully confident playing together under his management.

The only problem with Frankie's story is: where are the wins this season?

Frankie can only offer: "we need a wee bit o' luck".

The lack of wins could more easily be explained by an alternative narrative - the last 8 games of last season were meaningless kickabouts against mostly flip-flop wearers, the squad is a mess, the tactics aren't working, and there's no confidence anywhere to be seen.

Everyone saying they want rid of 3 at the back, I want us to scrap two up top. The game has moved on, and there’s a reason hardly any top teams play it, you need a pair of world class centre forwards, or your team suffers. There’s no creativity because that predominantly comes from wingers, and we don’t have any

And it’s not like we’re particularly defensively strong because of it

If they f@ck up today we'll be taking an extended break from ruined Saturdays and mid week evenings
I'm already there Fred, I hope they win but with Peterborough's high press attacking style I just can't see us keeping a clean sheet and consequently getting any kind of result, we are barring the goalkeeper poor in every department of the pitch, we are without doubt the shittyest team in the division, watching the QPR game and it just shows that we are a million miles away.

Everyone saying they want rid of 3 at the back, I want us to scrap two up top. The game has moved on, and there’s a reason hardly any top teams play it, you need a pair of world class centre forwards, or your team suffers. There’s no creativity because that predominantly comes from wingers, and we don’t have any

And it’s not like we’re particularly defensively strong because of it
I agree - although I think you have to be flexible (Alex!). Our strength is midfield so use that, keep the ball and be hard to beat. No point in having 5 defenders if they’re crap!

A wee bit of luck !!!!!!!
When you are consistently making crucial mistakes at the back and could not hit a cows arse with a banjo at the front, you need a bloody site more than luck !!!
It was worrying when he described crosses into the box in the 2nd half v Huddersfield in terms of luck - "we were a wee bit unfortunate we had no one on the end of them".

It's a problem with our tactics if there's no one there when the cross comes in, not a wee bit of luck.

The trouble with only one up top is apart from Evans no one can hold the ball so if he’s out for any reason we’ve nobody who can play the loan striker, . But whatever formation we use the fact is the players are not good enough the back three or four are always vulnerable to making a mistake lack pace and none of them are capable of bringing the ball out so they just hoof it. The midfield sit deep to try to protect the defence and none of them make many forward runs at pace with the ball again isolating the forward or forwards. So unless we sign at least three players I can’t see much changing and that’s not going to happen.

Started raining just to dampen the atmosphere before we even start.
Want to see some semblance of a game plan, with a plan a, b or even c if needed & the players understanding the plan, & having the ability to play their part well. (Round pegs & holes with selection based on merit not favouritism.)
Basically a positive plan, 100% effort as a minimum from all on the pitch & direction off with substitutions used wisely & in timely fashion.
Anything less & whatever the comment(s) was or were to Brown, there could be worse thrown around today.
Bloody hell things are bad in the realm of all things PNE.
Trying to keep the faith. COYW!!!!

Every interview he seems to talk about either luck or hopefully something going right. I’m 90% sure we’ve dropped a right one with this appointment.
As Arry Olmeskack would say “If the words “hope” and “luck” are in yer match day plan......yer need a new effin plan”.
“No pissin around today lads or yer’ll be feelin t’sharp edge of me tung”.

They keeping the team news quiet today so it doesn't put people off attending? 🤣
Although I'm there myself it doesn't need team news to put people off at the moment. :( :(
About 15 minutes to team declared I suppose.
Big improvement needed.

I think FM has to claim the squad is confident, because otherwise he'd be admitting those last 4 wins at the end of last season were meaningless.

FM's story goes - we did well in the last 8 games of last season, which were proper hard-fought games and not dead rubbers at all, so the squad has gelled and the lads are all fully confident playing together under his management.

The only problem with Frankie's story is: where are the wins this season?

Frankie can only offer: "we need a wee bit o' luck".

The lack of wins could more easily be explained by an alternative narrative - the last 8 games of last season were meaningless kickabouts against mostly flip-flop wearers, the squad is a mess, the tactics aren't working, and there's no confidence anywhere to be seen.
In hindsight we probably finished too strongly as it had the effect of lulling the management into a false sense of security in terms of purchasing players and taking other potential managers into consideration.

Genuinely think it might turn toxic if we cannot produce a performance / result today , I dread to think what Dembele / Johnson Clarke-Harris and there pace on the wings could do to our back 3/4/5 … I also think if we do happen to score first if Frankie tries to defend a 1-0 we’ve not chance , however that’s enough of the negativity - just setting off COYW ….