PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would argue though at the start of the season we did seem to have a clear style and we attacked well at home but for whatever reason missed chance after chance leading to those bizarre 0-0s.

Right now we’re missing Brady and Parrott and have had a few key players out since coming back from the World Cup, it has to be having a big impact on how we set up to play.

I think until injured players return and/or there are reinforcements in January, we’re just taking it game by game, with no clear “brand” trying to keep ourselves within touching distance.

You could go even further back and argue he tried to play good football from the get go. We failed to score at home twice last season under Lowe - Huddersfield and Forest. Both games we were the dominant team by far.

What’s strange though is we didn’t have a left wing back last season either. But we had SVB. People keep on mentioning a RWB and a striker but a RCB who can bring the ball forward is just as important to play the style of football he wants us to play.

Imagine if we signed a player from 4 divisions below to be our starting RWB. He would go mental

Well I'm no AW sympathiser, but I can see his point.

Seary is our player (so we're not signing him) and we will only find out if he is anywhere near good enough by actually giving him some game time in the Championship for us (and not 2 or 3 minutes at the end of a game)

The same goes for any of our other youngsters.

Last edited:
It is possible for a game to be absolutely shit boring to watch, and for us to win that same game. Look at Stoke, and lots of our other wins over the last few years.

Not sure what this strange magical purism is that @sabpne is advocating, where you can be bored to tears for 90 minutes in real time - absolutely bored out of your skull as 90 literal minutes tick by - and then a last minute winner magically means you weren't bored after all, because it's all about the result.

Football simply doesn't work like that, unless you watch it solely via the results teleprinter.

Exactly.

It really winds me up at times, we're not Barcelona.

Lets say for example, next home league game, we have 30% possession first half, we're under the cosh for a lot of the time but we defend really well, we're smart with the ball and we break to go 1 up.

Then we defend well again, 2 up from a set piece, game over. Are some seriously going home unhappy with that? I wasn't entertained??

As I've said my question was would it be boring to watch if that style of football was taking us to the prem, the answer I got was yes.

Stoke fans enjoyed the way they played hard to beat annoying teams cheering tackles like goals. Half of the entertainment is the atmosphere.
Obviously a boring style of play (or lack-of-style of play) would still be boring, regardless of the result.

The result is just what happens when the boring game stops.

Well I'm no AW sympathiser, but I can see his point.

Seary is our player (so we're not signing him) and we will only find out if he is anywhere near good enough by actually giving him some game time in the Championship for us (and not 2 or 3 minutes at the end of a game)

The same goed for any of our other youngsters.
That’s easy for you and AW to say but it’s not your job and reputation on the line if they don’t work out.

Come on Joan. I'm a RL fan too but give it a rest. He's not beyond criticism.

Can Seary really be much worse than Potts or Browne out of position?

I’d go as far as yes.

18 year old kid at RWB getting rinsed physically and technically is not the way to go.

He’s done well at Warrington. Might be time to do well in a league that’s not semi professional before the championship.

My comment wasn’t in defence of RL it was more in general and in respect of any manager at any club.

My comment wasn’t in defence of RL it was more in general and in respect of any manager at any club.
I’d go as far as yes.

18 year old kid at RWB getting rinsed physically and technically is not the way to go.

He’s done well at Warrington. Might be time to do well in a league that’s not semi professional before the championship.

Lowe's job is hardly going to be on the line by giving Seary 15-20 mins at right back in the odd game and seeing how it works out.

We disagree and that's fine.

Lowe's job is hardly going to be on the line by giving Seary 15-20 mins at right back in the odd game and seeing how it works out.

We disagree and that's fine.

I don’t think he’s against doing that.

Probably 10-15 but I don’t think there’s anything to suggest he won’t give kids a chance when it’s deemed acceptable.

Gotta remember with these kids, they get watched in training every day. Most of us have never seen them kick a ball. And all it takes is one pretty bad game in the proper men’s leagues to set them back months. Especially in positions that are 1V1 and mistakes are costly.

I don't think it's about being beyond criticism, it's about hanging a young kid out to dry in a crucial position for Lowe's preferred system when he's only really played alright for Warrington.

If he was any good, not only is it more likely that the manager would have likely kept him and used him, a club at a higher level than the same league as Bamber Bridge would have had him on loan, or even permanently, instead.

It's what he's doing with Finlay Cross-Adair in the absence of any other strikers and it's doing no one any favours.

I’d go as far as yes.

Why don’t we play Brady as an inverted winger on the right and Alvaro on the left ??

All we need then is two strikers… Cannon and Barnes will do.

Job done !

I don’t think he’s against doing that.

Probably 10-15 but I don’t think there’s anything to suggest he won’t give kids a chance when it’s deemed acceptable.

Gotta remember with these kids, they get watched in training every day. Most of us have never seen them kick a ball. And all it takes is one pretty bad game in the proper men’s leagues to set them back months. Especially in positions that are 1V1 and mistakes are costly.

Fair comments. And it is a delicate balancing act. But we won't know either way if he's not given a fair chance. If he gets 'rinsed' or isn't good enough it will be obvious very quickly and won't do much harm. Setting him back a few months is better than not tyring/knowing - in my view anyway.

I don't think it's about being beyond criticism, it's about hanging a young kid out to dry in a crucial position for Lowe's preferred system when he's only really played alright for Warrington.

If he was any good, not only is it more likely that the manager would have likely kept him and used him, a club at a higher level than the same league as Bamber Bridge would have had him on loan, or even permanently, instead.

It's what he's doing with Finlay Cross-Adair in the absence of any other strikers and it's doing no one any favours.

Don't think there's much wrong with the way he's handled FCA myself. He's been given a chance here and there and clearly isn't ready. Hardly hanging him out to dry.

Interesting reading the thoughts on Ash here. I had mentioned that I had heard you (and Huddersfield, and Hull) were interested in him on loan. We won’t be letting him go until we bring a replacement backup striker in. Kompany wants a long term option to come in, if that can’t be done this window I’d imagine Barnes stays till the summer (when he will be released).

To hopefully alleviate any preconceptions - Barnes is far more of a footballer than his ‘all action shithouse’ persona imply. He’s scored some belting goals for us, and is (I think) second behind Chris Wood as our top Premier League goalscorer, 9 seasons or so at that level with us and he got 40 goals or so in a team that did not create much.

Yes, he suited Dyche’s team far more than this as we play in a very Man City manner now (not as good clearly, and not intended to sound arrogant there - I just mean it’s a total possession based game, slow, methodical, waiting for a gap then huge burst of pace) as opposed to looking to exploit soft centred PL centre backs like David Luiz etc who weren’t up for the physical battle against Wood and Barnes. That doesn’t mean he’s been useless this season though, he was fantastic in the game that mattered most to us, but has looked a fish out of water on other occasions.

Also - Dyche played shit football in the PL because we hadn’t the budget to do anything but that with the players we had, it’s what kept us there. We played absolutely beautiful football in our two Dyche promotions from this level and Barnes was involved in both (albeit limited in 15/16 as he was coming back from an ACL). Success overtakes style everytime though to the debate above. We played like a mixture of Wimbledon and Stoke at times yet finished 7th and got in Europe, do you think we were moaning?! Equally, we LOVE Kompany’s style of football, but how do you think he would be recieved if we played this style but we’re floundering in 12th-15th? Success guarantees a good time, sexy football amplifies it.

FWIW, I have caught PNE quite a few times on the red button when Burnley haven’t been playing and I think he’d do a really good job with Evans for you. He operates best next to another of his type (ala Chris Wood).

Status
Not open for further replies.