PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
People suggesting possible permanent additions are completely wasting their time.
You might argue, people supporting PNE are completely wasting their time. But it doesn't work like that does it. Let's just see what transpires. The negetivity on this thread is becoming quite overwhelming. North End arent in quite the perilous position as reading this thread would suggest. Things could be better, but they could also be miles worse. Look at Gillingaham, for a decade or more, they matched us stride for stride. They now sit bottom of League 2. Mid table table Championship might seem dull, but crikey, it's a bloody site better than where we spent a massive chunk of my time following PNE.

Lowe's job is hardly going to be on the line by giving Seary 15-20 mins at right back in the odd game and seeing how it works out.

We disagree and that's fine.
I think I’m thinking more long term to be fair. RL gets Seary back he gets no other choices and if Seary doesn’t work out he is stuffed. That’s just in general could be any player and any manager at any club. That’s why they are sent out on loan, not every kid with promise can handle the pressure or even the crowds.

You might argue, people supporting PNE are completely wasting their time. But it doesn't work like that does it. Let's just see what transpires. The negetivity on this thread is becoming quite overwhelming. North End arent in quite the perilous position as reading this thread would suggest. Things could be better, but they could also be miles worse. Look at Gillingaham, for a decade or more, they matched us stride for stride. They now sit bottom of League 2. Mid table table Championship might seem dull, but crikey, it's a bloody site better than where we spent a massive chunk of my time following PNE.
Our manager said we're only looking at loans. If it's a bluff, then I'm not sure I see the point in it.

Spot on HC…. You say Gillingham I raise you Oldham who were playing in the top tier about 30 years ago…..

Lowe's job is hardly going to be on the line by giving Seary 15-20 mins at right back in the odd game and seeing how it works out.

We disagree and that's fine.
No but if Seary gets torn to shreds by a pro winger and has his confidence shattered, then that’s neglectful by us for throwing him in too early. We did it with Davies and it almost cost him his North End career had it not been for Neil’s arrival because he wasn’t ever able to solidify a place

Our manager said we're only looking at loans. If it's a bluff, then I'm not sure I see the point in it.
He’s lying (from what I’ve heard). Not sure he’s bluffing but think he’s tempering expectations after the summer debacle, because of the money available to him

I would argue though at the start of the season we did seem to have a clear style and we attacked well at home but for whatever reason missed chance after chance leading to those bizarre 0-0s.

Right now we’re missing Brady and Parrott and have had a few key players out since coming back from the World Cup, it has to be having a big impact on how we set up to play.

I think until injured players return and/or there are reinforcements in January, we’re just taking it game by game, with no clear “brand” trying to keep ourselves within touching distance.
Early season we had more movement up front. More through balls. And games like Rotherham we had a bucket load of openings. I think games were a bit more open. Teams were just getting up to speed with things after preseason.

Parrot was probably our best performer in the first month or so. But he regressed quite fast across September and looked like he just lost a whole load of confidence. We will never know if he would have kicked on, after his goal Vs Norwich - if he hadn't have got injured.

With Storey our joint top goalscorer at Deepdale with two goals, it's just been very difficult to watch since September. Is it just one second half goal at home all season? That isn't a coincidence or bad luck imho.

To me the mindset on show just seems ultra defensive. And unnecessarily so. Substitutions seem uninspired and ineffective. No real tactical switches demonstrated from the sidelines.

No individual player seems to be starring. Most players just seems to be playing rather under par. It says a lot when Evans is hailed as POTS after a short patch of good form.

The last three home games have just been absolute dirge to sit through for the most part. I appreciate we've had injuries. Our training regime over the world cup break clearly was ill thought.

If Lowe didn't bang on about his attacking brand it wouldn't wind me up so much. I think he's trying his best with the shitty hand he's been dealt.

But I worry he's just trying to eek out results however he can and maintain his own win loss record and reputation. (And await a bigger club to come in if he can snatch a top 10 finish) Rather than actually build anything here in terms of a pattern of play.

The squad itself look very much like the last year of AN's tenure. Where 100% of our focus and concentration is on not conceding a goal.

We probably needed a big freshening up of the squad in the last couple of years. But we continue to hand out extensions to players who I just don't think are suited at all to the attacking possession football that Lowe tells us that he wants to play.

Last edited:
Jamal Lowe has to be worth a look?

Been reported a January exit of sorts is on the cards for him.

Would be my dream signing upfront. Quality in this division for Wigan (eventually), Swansea and then played an o.k part in Bournemouth going up automatically (7 goals).

Bournemouth also have Dembele who looked promising at Peterborough but is more raw and he's been on the fringes.

Don't bother even asking and these players will just end up at Luton, Millwall or Coventry.

I think an ITK said he was at the training ground then Swansea called and offered £2K more p/w?

Didn't realise it was that close. Shame as he'd have been much better than Sinclair (he's much more of a wide attacker than CF) and he went to Swansea and scored 14 league goals.

Quite a list of strikers AN missed out on when you look at it.

No idea who close some of these were in the end but they were all linked heavily in transfer windows:

Adam Armstrong. That was certainly close with Blackburn just coming in with a better offer in the end.

Kieffer Moore. Were debating whether he was good enough or not when at Rotherham in league one. Eventually signed for Barnsley.

Woodrow.

Lowe

Sam Surridge. Apparently scouted when he was on loan at Oldham.

Fair comments. And it is a delicate balancing act. But we won't know either way if he's not given a fair chance. If he gets 'rinsed' or isn't good enough it will be obvious very quickly and won't do much harm. Setting him back a few months is better than not tyring/knowing - in my view anyway.

Don't think there's much wrong with the way he's handled FCA myself. He's been given a chance here and there and clearly isn't ready. Hardly hanging him out to dry.
He's given FCA the odd appearance in the position furthest away from our own goal because injuries have left gaps in the matchday squad.

I agree that by no means is he hanging FCA out to dry, but it's a completely different level of risk to be playing a young striker than a young defender, particularly when you've been so reliant on that defensive unit (because, let's face it, there's not much else to rely on).

If any of these kids were good enough, they'd either be playing more for us because their performances in training would warrant it or they'd be getting better loans than Warrington, Chester and Altrincham.

Football now is all about exciting expansive football, quick interchanges from midfield to attack and getting the centre halves more involved in the build up to goals. These older managers are finished, we have seen that with Steve Bruce, Big Sam, Pulis, Grayson etc. I do think football is a whole lot more engaging than what it used to be, definitely a lot less passion from some sets of fans as they expect more but the quality of football has definitely gone up.
I'm not convinced that there is a majority of the teams in this season's Championship who have the players who play successfully in this way. OK Burnley , utilizing some of the players that they had last season, have bought new players , and are playing this way under a Great Disciple of Pep Guardiola. And they are nailed-on to bounce straight back.
But how many of the other 23 Clubs in the Champ have the quality-in-depth of this season's Burnley.
Your definition as above is a great précis of the Premier Leagues methodology, and it suits Teams with quality. At the moment, the average quality of Champ. teams is lagging far behind.
Hey, I want what you espouse, at Deepdale too.

No but if Seary gets torn to shreds by a pro winger and has his confidence shattered, then that’s neglectful by us for throwing him in too early. We did it with Davies and it almost cost him his North End career had it not been for Neil’s arrival because he wasn’t ever able to solidify a place
You aren’t friends with the right Warrington fans evidently, they have spoken. (Slightly worrying just how far down the football pyramid someone has mates at every club it seems. 1st Broughton A pack will be getting worried one day that the poachers are watching every game)

Reactions: OB1
We’re very unlikely to go up playing a similar brand of football to most other teams simply because most will have better players. I reckon our only chance, and it could horribly back fire, would probably be to go ‘off piste’ probably either radical long ball or extreme technical. Either way would need a long term owner with a vision employing a manager with a similar approach and over a few years moulding the squad to fit the vision and importantly having the youth set up to play the same way. Personally I’d much prefer to watch a technical team and we’d probably have to recruit generally slower but good footballers ie we wouldn’t be able to afford the good quick ones, but have the odd speedsters in the mix as well for balance accepting their other limitations. A good model to me would be how Croatia play; a country of only 3 million people but with a definitive team ethic style playing in triangles up the pitch. Sorry for indulging my fantasies late on a Thursday evening !

Status
Not open for further replies.