PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

January 2023 : Transfer Window Rumours and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do find it extremely counter productive to play two holding midfielders in front of three centre halves. It’s no wonder there’s nobody to find in advanced positions or why the build up is so slow.

Is this a personnel thing?

I do find it extremely counter productive to play two holding midfielders in front of three centre halves. It’s no wonder there’s nobody to find in advanced positions or why the build up is so slow.

I think it was supposed to be one holding... But then we ran out of strikers/ decided to play 4 centre midfielders...

I don't like seeing us play with what is effectively a back 7 either, but is this really a Championship-level squad?

We don't have:

1. Ball-playing ability in the defence
2. Wingbacks who are... err, wingbacks
3. Midfielders who can run with the ball
4. Anyone with notable pace other than Diaby
5. Enough strikers

Everything on that list are either vital to Lowe's hypothetical system specifically but haven't been added to his squad, or just basics of squad-building that the club have neglected to address.

We hired him knowing full-well that he had a preferred formation. Over one year since he joined us now, and not only can he still not play it without a square peg in a round hole somewhere on the pitch, he cannot play any formation without someone being out of position because we've still not got a RB/RWB.

The issues with Lowe for me, and it seems most fans, start when he tries to tell us that, even though it looked like shit, smelt like shit and tasted like shit, it was in fact not shit.

I think that was always wishful thinking at best.

If you're a striker trying to reignite your season, North End just isn't the place to do it. You'll be waiting too long for anyone to create anything.

- 2nd bottom of division for open play goals (12)
- Joint bottom for left foot strikes (4)
- Joint bottom for right foot strikes (9)
- Bottom of division for dribbles (4.4 per game)

We've basically turning into Millwall Mk II this season, where aerial challenges and set piece goals are our only real attacking threats.

If we sign a striker it probably should be a big burly bloke to interchange with Evans up top. But knowing PNE we will sign some slow, miniature waif instead. Or rush Parrott back to playing, like we did with Riis.
Hugill

The owners are not going to spend money on an asset that a new owner could potentially make millions on.

Until The Family go, we are now stuck in eternal limbo.

Back to the good old days of finishing 17th albeit a division higher. Exciting.

1*uBeYFFM7fdDG0Zvn7tOu5w.jpeg

I would welcome the hypothetical signing of Barnes, a team lacking goals, experienced striker who can score🤷‍♂️
I don’t think either it necessarily means that we have to play Hoofball. That being said, even if we did play more direct is that such an issue if it is successful, we’ve hardly been playing free flowing edge of the seat stuff this season anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Ideally add some mobility and creativity (Anderson type perhaps) plus a recognised RWB (in the Laird mould) then perhaps we could have a strong end to the season. 👀

Majority of formations can be played in either an attacking or defensive way. Take Brighton for example when they were under Potter. They created an abundance of chances in this formation but just lacked a goalscorer.

However it’s a formation that works best when you’re able to keep the ball, and keep it in the middle to final 3rd. As that then allows your wing backs to be really high up to provide the width and your two no10s to be pushed up high too.

It could be decent for counter attacking, but that would require having a few players with pace to help break, seen as in that formation most players are going to be coming quite far back as only 1 striker and no actual wingers.

And this is where the issue is. We struggle doing the first way of playing, bar the odd game against like Rotherham at home. And we don’t have the pace to do the 2nd way of playing which is why a lot of our potential counters end up with the ball being played backwards.

And this is why it feels like we don’t really have any way of playing right now.

Majority of formations can be played in either an attacking or defensive way. Take Brighton for example when they were under Potter. They created an abundance of chances in this formation but just lacked a goalscorer.

However it’s a formation that works best when you’re able to keep the ball, and keep it in the middle to final 3rd. As that then allows your wing backs to be really high up to provide the width and your two no10s to be pushed up high too.

It could be decent for counter attacking, but that would require having a few players with pace to help break, seen as in that formation most players are going to be coming quite far back as only 1 striker and no actual wingers.

And this is where the issue is. We struggle doing the first way of playing, bar the odd game against like Rotherham at home. And we don’t have the pace to do the 2nd way of playing which is why a lot of our potential counters end up with the ball being played backwards.

And this is why it feels like we don’t really have any way of playing right now.
Well articulated and a fair assessment of our current (lack of) playing style.

Ryan, please. You really don’t help yourself with interview answers like this

“You only have to look at Ched Evans getting the goals now, Ben Woodburn scored the other week against Blackburn, Troy Parrott can score goals”

They’ve scored 8 goals combined all season. Ched has 6 of those. We’re the second lowest scoring team in the league, what about this makes you think - this team has goals in them?

Sometimes it’s better to just not say it

Provl

Ryan, please. You really don’t help yourself with interview answers like this

“You only have to look at Ched Evans getting the goals now, Ben Woodburn scored the other week against Blackburn, Troy Parrott can score goals”

They’ve scored 8 goals combined all season. Ched has 6 of those. We’re the second lowest scoring team in the league, what about this makes you think - this team has goals in them?

Sometimes it’s better to just not say it

Problem is he has to positive and upbeat on the outside despite what he may really feel. Imagine him just being sour and negative. It would have an even worse affect on how folk feel now!!

Provl

Problem is he has to positive and upbeat on the outside despite what he may really feel. Imagine him just being sour and negative. It would have an even worse affect on how folk feel now!!
That’s what I mean. He doesn’t need to be negative, just don’t mention how good the current goal scorers are when everyone knows you’re lying. You can keep positive resorting to making things up. It’s how you spin it

My wife saw a guy with a cream flashy car last week, had a few security with him. Had a white puffer jacket on.

Could be something, could be nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.