PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Coronavirus science and statistics(no politics)

I was going to like this post but I thought I'd better not because David Icke thinks we're a thing.
giphy.gif

My daughters a teacher and is right in the thick of it. In a school of 1500 it takes just one parent to panic when their kid gets s temperature and the whole place is thrown into chaos. The kid might be swinging the lead and actually got the virus three months before without symptoms but no matter all the class has to isolate.

Does it not make sense just to pause for a couple of weeks at least to see where this is going into winter before suggesting whats best. The news that 100s of Scottish students have tested positive is not that reassuring.

Does it not make sense just to pause for a couple of weeks at least to see where this is going into winter before suggesting whats best. The news that 100s of Scottish students have tested positive is not that reassuring.

Its just about impossible for any teacher trying to plan a curriculum.. my daughter says it is just child minding. Kids forced into schools that simply don't function educationally because of a virus very few have anymore. And apparently testing is running at above 200k a day but because the population are living in fear it isn't enough to meet demand, no wonder positive tests/cases are on the up. The good news is that in 340 days the whole population will have been tested at least once.. and they can start this madnessall over again.

A nation paralysed by fear..

Its just about impossible for any teacher trying to plan a curriculum.. my daughter says it is just child minding. Kids forced into schools that simply don't function educationally because of a virus very few have anymore. And apparently testing is running at above 200k a day but because the population are living in fear it isn't enough to meet demand, no wonder positive tests/cases are on the up. The good news is that in 340 days the whole population will have been tested at least once.. and they can start this madnessall over again.

A nation paralysed by fear..
We are not testing 200k people a day and never have done. Tests and individuals are absolutely not the same number

Testing at 3.37 per thousand. 68 million divided by 1k = 68k x 3.37 = 239k per day. https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing#testing-for-covid-19
I repeat, we are not testing 200k+ people per day, we are testing c 200k samples per day. A sample is not a person. Your source explicitly says tests NOT individual people.

The real figure is likely to be around 82k people per day

You are using tests as a proxy for people which is completely wrong

So, we are going in to the second spike of this pandemic supposedly, hopefully better prepared than we were back in the spring and we have far greater testing capabilities.

How come we still only test for this virus in the nose and throat, when there WILL be positive Covid cases missed and not diagnosed if the virus is rubbed in to the eyes, ingested droplets on food, enters via a cut etc etc.

Is it so important to determine the virus in this way, via unreliable tests, and in such a short 3 day window of opportunity when a relatively simple "catch all" approach would be to sample for the body shedding the dead virus which it does for 21 days after infection in fecal matter?

Enjoy your breakfast.

(Awaits "shit post" comments...)

So, we are going in to the second spike of this pandemic supposedly, hopefully better prepared than we were back in the spring and we have far greater testing capabilities.

How come we still only test for this virus in the nose and throat, when there WILL be positive Covid cases missed and not diagnosed if the virus is rubbed in to the eyes, ingested droplets on food, enters via a cut etc etc.

Is it so important to determine the virus in this way, via unreliable tests, and in such a short 3 day window of opportunity when a relatively simple "catch all" approach would be to sample for the body shedding the dead virus which it does for 21 days after infection in fecal matter?

Enjoy your breakfast.

Nearly fell off me stool

Enjoy your breakfast.

This is really interesting, you learn something everyday.

Does anyone not find it odd that London, our busiest city, with their public transport issues behind in this second wave? It seems to me that the T cell immunity is a thing and Londoners have got some sort of herd immunity. In the north we missed that immunity as we went into lockdown before the virus spread much up here.

Does anyone not find it odd that London, our busiest city, with their public transport issues behind in this second wave? It seems to me that the T cell immunity is a thing and Londoners have got some sort of herd immunity. In the north we missed that immunity as we went into lockdown before the virus spread much up here.