PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Gerrard at Ibrox?

When Grayson left us, my 2 picks for the gig here (check the thread out if you can be arsed searching for it) were Neil and Gerrard.

Lets hope Rangers remain unbeaten in the league and hit the 100 points mark.

A shame about Celtic 2002. A tough tally (103) to ever beat.

Early days in his managerial career obviously but Gerrard seems to have something about him.

What he has done very well & has obviously thought about it a lot is have a good backroom team around him.

That coupled with his status should've meant he always had half a chance but obviously it doesn't always work out that way.

I have my doubts Gerrard would leave Rangers now for anything but Liverpool. I don't think he would take his family abroad, he has young kids and I doubt that would appeal to him. And if for example some EPL club who were not Liverpool came in for him I think he may even turn that down.

He doesn't need the money, last I heard he's worth an estimated £60 million so money is meaningless to him. In addition I think back to something I once heard Alex Ferguson say. He had been offered the England job but commented that while the offer was hugely tempting there was simply no way he could lead an England side out against Scotland.

I suspect Gerrard may feel the same about Liverpool. Though I have no doubt that if the call from Liverpool ever came he would be on the M74 before the dropped phone hit the floor.
So to be clear, are you saying we've no chance of tempting him here.🤔😆

I have my doubts Gerrard would leave Rangers now for anything but Liverpool. I don't think he would take his family abroad, he has young kids and I doubt that would appeal to him. And if for example some EPL club who were not Liverpool came in for him I think he may even turn that down.

He doesn't need the money, last I heard he's worth an estimated £60 million so money is meaningless to him. In addition I think back to something I once heard Alex Ferguson say. He had been offered the England job but commented that while the offer was hugely tempting there was simply no way he could lead an England side out against Scotland.

I suspect Gerrard may feel the same about Liverpool. Though I have no doubt that if the call from Liverpool ever came he would be on the M74 before the dropped phone hit the floor.

Not likely obviously but if Liverpool rang him tomorrow the only thing that would keep him at Ibrox would be the thought that at some point in the next 10, 20 or 30 years he would be bound to get another shot at the job.

Literally every time Liverpool are looking for a manager in the future he is bound to get mentioned.

It still wouldn't be enough to keep him in Scotland now though. He'd be off like a shot.

Not likely obviously but if Liverpool rang him tomorrow the only thing that would keep him at Ibrox would be the thought that at some point in the next 10, 20 or 30 years he would be bound to get another shot at the job.

Literally every time Liverpool are looking for a manager in the future he is bound to get mentioned.

It still wouldn't be enough to keep him in Scotland now though. He'd be off like a shot.
It would be interesting to see who Liverpool did go for when Klopp does leave.
Availability wise, all the other top managers are currently employed at other top European clubs.
Would they take a punt on a former player with minimal experience in a league akin to League one/Championship?

I was talking 2017 when Gerrard was manager of Liverpool U18s.

Availability wise, all the other top managers are currently employed at other top European clubs.
Would they take a punt on a former player with minimal experience in a league akin to League one/Championship?
Allegri is still available after his tremendous stint at Juve.

Amazes me that he still is tbh.

He has also, since around 2019, taken extensive English lessons.

I think he's probably literally the only one they would take a punt on but it would also be interesting to see at what he point he would feel ready to take it as well.

If they asked him at the end of this season for example would he feel he had enough experience to take a job like that on?

It would be very difficult for him to turn it down though whenever it comes along.

I don't think Gerrard needs to have managed in the EPL to be regarded as experienced there. His playing knowledge there is obviously vast. As he has vast experience of playing in Europe. He had never managed a team in European competition but is consistently punching way above his team budget.

He has now managed in the Europa league every season of his tenure improving on the previous seasons performance each time. The win on Thursday equaled Walter Smiths record of 23 wins in Europe while Gerrard has achieved it in a much shorter time and with a vastly smaller budget than Smith had.

I think he's probably literally the only one they would take a punt on but it would also be interesting to see at what he point he would feel ready to take it as well.

If they asked him at the end of this season for example would he feel he had enough experience to take a job like that on?

It would be very difficult for him to turn it down though whenever it comes along.
I think he'd take the position at the drop of a hat but if it was sooner rather than later, I don't think it would be a good move for him.
Gerrard is a very young manager with years ahead of him and there'll be other opportunities to manage Liverpool.
Get some silverware under your belt at Rangers and maybe an other Premier League side first.
I don't think Gerrards love for Liverpool would stop him managing elsewhere on the Premier leaque.
It didn't stop Dalglish having stints at Newcastle and The Plastics.

I don't think Gerrards love for Liverpool would stop him managing elsewhere on the Premier leaque.
It didn't stop Dalglish having stints at Newcastle and The Plastics.

Dalglish wasn't a born and bred scouser from a through and through Liverpool family. Dalglish didn't grow up supporting Liverpool and didn't spend his entire career there from schoolboy to first team. And Dalglish wasn't worth £60 million or anything like it.

Gerrard would do well to look at Lampard, Chelsea legend whom took the big job too soon.

Chance now gone.

Better to wait a tad longer.

Gerrard would do well to look at Lampard, Chelsea legend whom took the big job too soon.

Chance now gone.

Better to wait a tad longer.

Well starting with the fact that for obvious reasons I don't want Gerrard to be leaving Ibrox anytime soon, I think your point has merit that deserve consideration. But still think it's difficult to say whether it would be a bad move for Gerrard.

I feel he's been in a different experience gathering situation to that of Lampard. Derby isn't the same high pressure high profile experience that Rangers is. Derby can string a few bad results together and it wont be seen as disastrous, if Rangers simply draw questions are asked.

And consider what he was put into. He was put into a situation where he's expected to wrest the league title from a side who have been winning it for almost a decade and who had a significant financial advantage. I don't see the pressure at Liverpool being any greater than he has experienced at Rangers.

And his Euro exploits have been phenomenal. An arena in which Lampard had no managerial experience at all before going to Chelsea. But in saying all that I would agree that it would probably be in Gerrard's interest to wait at least another couple of seasons or so.

Qualify for the Champions league groups and get experience there. Prove he can go on to retain a title against a Celtic side who will strengthen in the Summer. If he can do all that I would see him as a shoe in for Liverpool along the way. Their fans would accept him but probably no other young non big name manager.

A bit harum scarum for the first 25 minutes or so in which Dundee United actually played some attractive football before succumbing to the Gerrard machine.

Crafty move by Celtic, engineering a 1-0 loss at Ross County in an attempt to avoid Rangers clinching the title at Parkhead. Prior to the County scoring Christie had an open goal right in front of him and somehow managed to put the ball so high over the bar it went clean out of the stadium.

Crafty move by Celtic, engineering a 1-0 loss at Ross County in an attempt to avoid Rangers clinching the title at Parkhead. Prior to the County scoring Christie had an open goal right in front of him and somehow managed to put the ball so high over the bar it went clean out of the stadium.

"Super County go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious"