PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Hemmings family - time to go?

Hemmings family - time to go?

• Total voters
Yes, there have been more than an acceptable amount of poor signings, if it was my money as an owner, I would not be pleased at all. That's why I applauded the appointment of James Beet to analyse and identify possible signings etc. I think ironically he may have identified Ryan Lowe as manager which has resulted in his being moved sideways into the acadamy role.

As far as Scott Sinclair goes, his signing was warmly welcomed on here and we had lot's of Celtic fans posting what a great player we had signed, sadly it didn't work out and should serve as a warning for signing 'established championship quality' players on big wages. I certainly don't blame the powers that be over that signing as I too was looking forward to Scott scoring plenty of goals and assists for us.

The PNE way that tends to work is signing players lke Nugent from Bury and Robinson from Villa, i.e. Lower league talent / Premier league reserves.
Amongst all the criticism Woodman, Woodburn & Brady IMO have all been decent signings this window as has Cornell for GK cover and a marked improvement on recruitment in recent seasons past.

Alvarez is a decent loan, hopefully Parrott will find his scoring boots and Riis get a bit of form and start turning these 0-0's into wins. COYW! All to play for 5 points off playoffs just less than a quarter of the season played.
The problem with Sinclair was, he was a winger and we needed a striker.

At the time, I was optimistic we'd finally realised we had to pay Championship wages to get Championship players - and looked forward to us adding the Championship striker we also needed that January.

Of course, no striker came, and then the LEP started gaslighting us that Sinclair was the striker.

Always end up with half a job done at best with these guys in charge.

At the time, I was optimistic we'd finally realised we had to pay Championship wages to get Championship players - and looked forward to us adding the Championship striker we also needed that January.

Of course, no striker came, and then the LEP started gaslighting us that Sinclair was the striker.

The irony being that as it turned out the thing Sinclair was best at was finishing. Sadly he offered next to sod-all in his supposed position because either A/ he was past it or B/ no such position existed in our lineup.

The alarm bells were ringing with Sinclair when all the Celtic fans (despite loving him) admitted that his legs were gone and wasn't warranting a place in the starting eleven. On paper it looked a promising signing of a player with a good pedigree but despite flashes of brilliance, he lived up to what the Celtic fans were warning us about.

The irony being that as it turned out the thing Sinclair was best at was finishing. Sadly he offered next to sod-all in his supposed position because either A/ he was past it or B/ no such position existed in our lineup.
It wasn't the last time Peter went shopping for a striker and came home with a winger we didn't really need.

At the time we signed Sinclair, I'd argue we absolutely still did need that left sided inside forward we'd been missing since selling Robinson. Was not the great success we hoped for, but did fine when he played there. Of course once Frankie took over, then he was an expensive appendix.

Yep. Sinclair was perfectly fine when played on the left hand side and he was our top scorer.

It's when we started a 5-3-2 and tried to use him as a striker that everyone suddenly decided he was shit. It'd be the same if we tried to play Brady as a striker.

No idea if his legs have gone now but we've certainly made worse signings from a playing perspective.

His wing backs play much higher and his centre backs get forward a lot more (pretty much every attack). It's much better football than the current overly-conservative rubbish that gets served up.

Doesn't really take a genius to wonder why. We have Potts (who is slower than erosion,) Storey who shits himself everytime with the ball at his feet and at the moment Cunningham who passes the ball back a lot more than forward. Our centre backs have been great defensively but offer next to nothing in an attacking sense.

Doesn't really take a genius to wonder why. We have Potts (who is slower than erosion,) Storey who shits himself everytime with the ball at his feet and at the moment Cunningham who passes the ball back a lot more than forward. Our centre backs have been great defensively but offer next to nothing in an attacking sense.

Bollocks.

Not a lot wrong with his speed of movement, it’s his speed of thought that’s the main problem.
When Lowe is saying "on Saturday we experimented a bit with Browney down the right hand side to give us a bit more creativity down that side", it's clear Potts lacks a key RWB attribute - creativity.

Passing it sideways to Whiteman all the time doesn't cut it.

I’ve figured out why we aren’t scoring. The strikers must have a goal bonus in their contracts, no goals = don’t have to pay for a goal bonus. Saving money wherever possible

When Lowe is saying "on Saturday we experimented a bit with Browney down the right hand side to give us a bit more creativity down that side", it's clear Potts lacks a key RWB attribute - creativity.

Passing it sideways to Whiteman all the time doesn't cut it.
He's actually pretty decent when there's a chance to break and there's some pitch to run into (e.g. lashers last season he started things off, that one he set up for the Riis volley against whoever it was) but he's not alone in being unimaginative and / or extremely risk averse when the opposition are in their shape.

He's actually pretty decent when there's a chance to break and there's some pitch to run into (e.g. lashers last season he started things off, that one he set up for the Riis volley against whoever it was) but he's not alone in being unimaginative and / or extremely risk averse when the opposition are in their shape.
I think like several of our midfielders, his main skill is running without the ball.

When he gets on the ball, things generally don't happen.

I’ve figured out why we aren’t scoring. The strikers must have a goal bonus in their contracts, no goals = don’t have to pay for a goal bonus. Saving money wherever possible

The "family budget" only has enough for a clean sheet bonus or a goal bonus each game. Luton and Coventry have eaten into next years budget already

Yes and Wilder's 3-5-2 involves overlapping center backs - i.e. center backs who are good with the ball at their feet.

Hughes is (but seems to be injured quite a lot these days) so that leaves us with Cunningham and Storey. Everytime Cunnigham gets near the half way line he turns around and pass it to Lindsay/woodman. That's isn't a tactical decision. It's because he is pretty diabolical at trying to play with the ball at his feet.

Cunningham has always been very good with his passing and feet, it's because it takes him 10-15 minutes to get back in position after going forward because physically due to injuries he is fucked.