PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Alan Browne - 400

I'm certainly not as high on Browne as others. Would argue that 'club legend' and 'favourite ever PNE player' are wildly overrating him, but fact remains he's been a very decent player and very consistent for the last couple of seasons.

It's huge for our summer that we re-sign him. Otherwise a large chunk of our very limited budget will need to be spent replacing him.

With Millar going back, losing Browne on a free would mean spending significant money just to be at the level of squad we've had this year. Any notion of 'improving' the squad would be way off

To be fair, it does depend on what he demands. No one player is bigger than the club. I want him to sign by the way but at what cost? It only pushes wage demands of others when it comes to contract talks. Regardless of how good you are, one player can't do it on his own.
Loyalty works both ways. Had it not been for North End taking a chance on him as a 17 year old kid he may have ended up forging a part time career in Irish football.
Probably one of the best players at the club. We would not replace him with anywhere near the same quality.

As for the bit in bold. Complete hog wash. He has been with us since he was 17 as he has consistently been one of our top performers. He has been handed extension on extension because he has been consistently one of our top performers if the club wants to cheap out now then that is there deal. But Browne should not have to take a pay cut because "loyalty" says he should.

Would you stay with an insurance company you have been with for 10 years if they halved your cover and double your charge?

I'm certainly not as high on Browne as others. Would argue that 'club legend' and 'favourite ever PNE player' are wildly overrating him, but fact remains he's been a very decent player and very consistent for the last couple of seasons.

It's huge for our summer that we re-sign him. Otherwise a large chunk of our very limited budget will need to be spent replacing him.

With Millar going back, losing Browne on a free would mean spending significant money just to be at the level of squad we've had this year. Any notion of 'improving' the squad would be way off
If Browne does not sign a new contract then we will be unable to replace him with a like for like replacement,we just would not have the funds to sign a highly experienced championship midfielder who has played international football, that type of player would be way above our budget and wage structure.🤔

Browne is 29 years old.

Brady was 29 years old when he left Burnley. If we'd have offered him a four year deal on top money would anyone have been thrilled?

I'd rather we find the next 18 year old who can go on to play 400+ games for us. But, I appreciate youth development is a dirty word at north end.

Someone on Facebook is saying that he's agreed a deal with Burnley.

It's Facebook, so its absolutely not true. But imagine....

Good lord, imagine. Like @Bobbage i’d wondered about Everton. Particularly if they were to come down.

Pure guess work on my part but I can’t see him uprooting his family as they seem settled so can see him going local or at least commutable.

Browne is 29 years old.

Brady was 29 years old when he left Burnley. If we'd have offered him a four year deal on top money would anyone have been thrilled?

I'd rather we find the next 18 year old who can go on to play 400+ games for us. But, I appreciate youth development is a dirty word at north end.

With his injury record I know I wasn't exactly thrilled at him signing for free, on the cheap, on a one-year deal.

Browne is 29 years old.

Yes agreed that finding an 18 year old and developing him into a player who then players over 400 games for us would-be a fantastic find and great business.
What do we do in the meantime for our replacement,until that 18 year old develops into the player who can hold down a first team position and compete against opponents at championship level, perhaps 2 or 3 seasons.😵‍💫🤔

Yes agreed that finding an 18 year old and developing him into a player who then players over 400 games for us would-be a fantastic find and great business.
What do we do in the meantime for our replacement,until that 18 year old develops into the player who can hold down a first team position and compete against opponents at championship level, perhaps 2 or 3 seasons.😵‍💫🤔
Most clubs would have a functioning youth academy so that we aren't left over a barrel when experienced players demand four year contracts.

Instead every 1-2 seasons we release one crop of youngsters and replace them with some others, seemingly of the exact same calibre.

By the end of next season we will only have one senior player aged under 25 years of age. It's an ageing squad - if we continue to keep extending their deals we are gonna get diminishing returns.

The question is what exactly are we building at north end for the long term? Apparently nothing. It's all seemingly short term fixes. Unsurprising I guess when the master of contracts is well past standard retirement age.

Someone on Facebook is saying that he's agreed a deal with Burnley.
burnley no longer a team of dingles. no longer stan ternant.
Kompany's team playing more football....
not sure a midfield of browne and brownhill would be good enough for the new burnley, given the financial resources they now have.

Most clubs would have a functioning youth academy so that we aren't left over a barrel when experienced players demand four year contracts.

Instead every 1-2 seasons we release one crop of youngsters and replace them with some others, seemingly of the exact same calibre.

By the end of next season we will only have one senior player aged under 25 years of age. It's an ageing squad - if we continue to keep extending their deals we are gonna get diminishing returns.

The question is what exactly are we building at north end for the long term? Apparently nothing. It's all seemingly short term fixes. Unsurprising I guess when the master of contracts is well past standard retirement age.
Agree with you, the likes of Best,Seary and Mawene have little or no way of developing at North End from Youth Team to 1st team other than being thrown in at the deep end or sent out on loan and with do disrespect to any of the clubs but to Bamber Bridge, Southport or Witton Albion is that really going to help their development to our 1st team.😵‍💫🤔

Probably one of the best players at the club. We would not replace him with anywhere near the same quality.

As for the bit in bold. Complete hog wash. He has been with us since he was 17 as he has consistently been one of our top performers. He has been handed extension on extension because he has been consistently one of our top performers if the club wants to cheap out now then that is there deal. But Browne should not have to take a pay cut because "loyalty" says he should.

Would you stay with an insurance company you have been with for 10 years if they halved your cover and double your charge?

I like Browne & would absolutely want him to stay but there's been times, & pretty long periods of time where he has been absolutely dreadful & was getting slaughtered on here. Shouldn't even be playing never mind captain etc etc etc.

Granted you could say that he could've been playing out of position or whatever but let's not have the rose tinted spectacles on that he was brilliant the whole time.

I like Browne & would absolutely want him to stay but there's been times, & pretty long periods of time where he has been absolutely dreadful & was getting slaughtered on here. Shouldn't even be playing never mind captain etc etc etc.

Granted you could say that he could've been playing out of position or whatever but let's not have the rose tinted spectacles on that he was brilliant the whole time.
I didn't say he was A 10/10 every week. Of course he has had bad spells/shite spells but realistically over the seasons he has probably been our most consistent performer.

As per other posts the biggest concern is letting him go and replacing him with someone with the same quality. That won't happen we all know this so we are left replacing him with a young punt (who in typical pne fashion) we have not got the facilities (youth team or reserve team) to help bed in.