PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Liam Lindsay signs permenantly from Stoke (Confirmed)

Sepp looked a bright spark today. He got up to the right byeline a few times, but either didn't pull the trigger or found little support in the box.
He was outplayed by their number 11.
However, to his credit, he got into some good attacking positions. Unfortunately his crosses or headers into the box didn’t find a PNE player.

He was outplayed by their number 11.
However, to his credit, he got into some good attacking positions. Unfortunately his crosses or headers into the box didn’t find a PNE player.
He will not be the last player to get outplayed by that lad. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not at Hull by August 31st

Didn't look any worse than any of the others in my view. Looked a class above any of them when he came on today. Worryingly looked a better attacking prospect than anyone in that 2nd half too.

We know he's a competent right back, but he didn't perform well as a centre half, which is where he wants to play, and where he's competing for selection with Storey.

That said, maybe he gets the nod after today.

To be fair to Lindsay when he gets going his straight line speed is pretty decent. But my god he takes a while to turn, and he’s very immobile.
How quick he is once he 'gets going' is no use to us though really as a defensive unit. With people as slow off the mark/on the turn as him at the back we'll always end up very deep for large spells.

Look at Hull's third goal today. Cracking cross by their lad but we're literally 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go and should be pushing up the pitch, and our centre halves are defending (or not) our 6 yard box. It's ridiculous.

As a side we have to start playing higher up the pitch but with the defensive options we've got it won't be easy at all.

To be fair to Lindsay when he gets going his straight line speed is pretty decent. But my god he takes a while to turn, and he’s very immobile.

I was happy enough with him signing initially, thinking he was a like-for-like squad replacement for Hunts if he was leaving.

The Riddler said last years loans were to get us through to the Summer so we could then have our pick of all the talent available on free transfers... So I certainly didn't think HMS was going to be our first choice centre half, left footed or not!

Where are our first choice targets? The Kipre's etc? We stopped looking once we'd picked up something from Stoke's bargain bin and VDB was allowed to return (as a centre half which I don't think he's ready for yet)

Not sure why he gets in over Bauer. I know Bauer wasn’t great before his injury, but at least he’s a dominant present at the back, knows when not to commit, and vocal enough to organise the backline. Lindsey doesn’t offer that. And it’s not like left foot matters in a back 3

Liam Lindsay - 6

Four let in but he wasn't one to point the finger at. Defended well in the first half and looked the most assured in the backline.

I agree, but I still thing the issue is midfield and attack. We have nothing wide and nothing sticks up top.
When we changed in the second half we were wide open defensively. The only midfielder looking for the ball was Ledson.

Liam Lindsay - 6

Four let in but he wasn't one to point the finger at. Defended well in the first half and looked the most assured in the backline.
Was our best defender in the second half.

:cry:

I have doubts about Sepp based on pre-season and that second half too.

Hughes was easily the best in the back line. Storey and Lindsay are so bad that they make Andrew Hughes look good

Hughes was easily the best in the back line. Storey and Lindsay are so bad that they make Andrew Hughes look good
First half definitely, he was good, not sure when he moved out to LB though.

He's our best centre back in the 3, solid but don't trust him as a regular full back.

He's our best centre back in the 3, solid but don't trust him as a regular full back.
Cos we needed to go into a back four to create anything and Greg seemingly can’t manage more than a half

Unfortunately going into a four meant that Storey and Lindsey’s inability to know where the Hull attackers were was massively exposed

Cos we needed to go into a back four to create anything and Greg seemingly can’t manage more than a half

Unfortunately going into a four meant that Storey and Lindsey’s inability to know where the Hull attackers were was massively exposed
And people were happy about giving Cunningham a 2 year deal, it was fucking obvious he's spent.

Nah he totally shut Wilks down. He should never be an out and out left back in a 4, but I thought he was the clear pick of the bunch.

Agree with your concern on SVDB though. 1 vs 1 he does look a little suspect at times. Lewis-Potter beat him a couple of times and I remember that Fosu-Henry causing him serious problems when Brentford took us apart last season.

HMS Lindsay for their 4th - not so much going for a pie as staying for the full meal deal.

Doesn’t exactly cover himself in glory for the 3rd either. Let’s magennis completely walk past him

Still better than storeys apparent shock at finding magennis behind him

Where has it been said that Greg was taken off for fitness reasons? Maybe Frankie just thought Hughes was the better option to keep on. Greg did play 90 minutes v Burnley the week before didn’t he